www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old August 3rd, 2017, 19:26   #1
DunnTDI

Default A/C Problems-06 Jetta TDI

Struggling to understand what my AC system is doing. On start up and idling. It Blows hot air. I've read a lot of different forums and looked into different possibilities. No leaks, holds high pressures. Took a picture of current low and high side readings. Low side reads around 90 and high side is around 330ish. Those seem way off. Are these typical readings for the MK5 AC condenser systems? When I drive for a while on a highway I have noticed that the air begins to blow somewhat cold air. Not the best but definitely an improvement from the hot normal air. Any thoughts? I read that it might be a front fan went out.
DunnTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 21:47   #2
relumalutan
Veteran Member

Very simple to diagnose: turn the AC on, open the hood and check to see if both fans are turning. If they don't, they might be toast. There is another condition that can prevent the fans from turning: a bad RCV valve (it goes inside the AC compressor, you can see it with the hood open, it has a black cable going to it). If the RCV valve doesn't engage when you turn the AC on, the fans will not turn.In that case you will discharge the system, replace the RCV valve and charge it back. When the RCV valve is bad, often it will engage, but with a long delay. The easiest way to diagnose the problem is to check the fans is with VCDS.

Last edited by relumalutan; August 8th, 2017 at 08:56.
relumalutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 06:36   #3
keith102

Fuel Economy: .

I had a similar problem with my 06 TDI where the AC would not blow cold at low speed or in traffic but once at Cruising speed it improved. Pressures were fine. Replaced the RCV valve and recharged and it's back to normal. Got the replacement rcv valve from polarbearinc.com.
keith102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 19:28   #4
Diesel126
Veteran Member

I am currently have a similar issue. My A/C blows cold on the highway but in traffic A/C starts blowing warm air. I just found out today that my cooling fans are not working during A/C operation. I checked all the fuses and electrical connection and all seams fine. Not sure if a bad RVC valve would cause the fans not to turn on during A/C use?
Diesel126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2017, 06:47   #5
relumalutan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel126 View Post
I am currently have a similar issue. My A/C blows cold on the highway but in traffic A/C starts blowing warm air. I just found out today that my cooling fans are not working during A/C operation. I checked all the fuses and electrical connection and all seams fine. Not sure if a bad RVC valve would cause the fans not to turn on during A/C use?
A bad RCV will prevent the fans from turning in. "Bad" does not necessarily mean the RCV valve will stop to work completely, often it still works, but with a huge, annoying delay. In your case, it seems the fans are not working, since the RCV valve apparently engages (you have cold air at highway speed because the air rush from outside the car does the cooling, instead of the fans). Before you start throwing money at parts, better find someone with VCDS and do a fan test. Or even better, look on the sale section of this forum or on vwvortex and buy yourself a VCDS microcan, you will never regret investing money in it:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...VCDS-Micro-CAN

Last edited by relumalutan; August 10th, 2017 at 06:55.
relumalutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2017, 08:01   #6
Diesel126
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relumalutan View Post
A bad RCV will prevent the fans from turning in. "Bad" does not necessarily mean the RCV valve will stop to work completely, often it still works, but with a huge, annoying delay. In your case, it seems the fans are not working, since the RCV valve apparently engages (you have cold air at highway speed because the air rush from outside the car does the cooling, instead of the fans). Before you start throwing money at parts, better find someone with VCDS and do a fan test. Or even better, look on the sale section of this forum or on vwvortex and buy yourself a VCDS microcan, you will never regret investing money in it:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...VCDS-Micro-CAN
I tested my cooling fans with my VCDS yesterday and they do not turn on.
I will pull the fan shroud and test the fans manually toady.
Old August 14th, 2017, 11:29   #7
gassprint1

TDI(s): 2006 jetta

Quote:
I tested my cooling fans with my VCDS yesterday and they do not turn on.
I will pull the fan shroud and test the fans manually toady.
after you do the manual test and they don't works, it might be your option to pop the back cover off and check for stuck brushes. i have seen many different places about it and even videos. if they do work manually, then the module is probably bad. my ac stopped working lil over a week ago. test power wires at fan, ac solenoid an such with all having power. so it's narrowed down to the ac solenoid or maybe the fan module...hell...both. i don't have the VCDS to test with and don't know anyone around here that does. i'm probably guna order the solenoid from the place in florida and i may even just buy the fan module an try it for $25. checked everywhere and see no info of people trying the module out.
gassprint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 19:15   #8
Diesel126
Veteran Member

I removed the fans and tested. The small passenger side fan did not work at all. and the drivers fan did not work at first but I gave it little spin by hand and it started to spin by itself. I ordered a new shroud and fan unit. Installed it tonight and all is good now. A/C is ice cold while idling and sitting in traffic again.
Old August 15th, 2017, 19:24   #9
gassprint1

Quote:
I removed the fans and tested. The small passenger side fan did not work at all. and the drivers fan did not work at first but I gave it little spin by hand and it started to spin by itself. I ordered a new shroud and fan unit. Installed it tonight and all is good now. A/C is ice cold while idling and sitting in traffic again.
was that on your 06'?
if it was, i'd be interested in trying out the fan module. sounds like the brushes in the fans were the problem.
Old August 16th, 2017, 15:14   #10
Diesel126
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassprint1 View Post
was that on your 06'?
if it was, i'd be interested in trying out the fan module. sounds like the brushes in the fans were the problem.
Yes, 06 BRM
I paid $155 for the whole new unit.
currently at 330,000 miles
Old August 17th, 2017, 13:46   #11
SuperZ28

TDI(s): 06 Jetta TDI

I'm also having some A/C issues with my 06 Jetta. I've exhausted almost every route I can think of. I replaced a bad RCV, the G36 hi/low pressure sensor, both fans are brand new, recharged system which holds pressure and no leaks and I also put a tested and working climatic control unit in... still no A/C. I have VCDS and once I test the the system the fans both kick on and everything checks out okay. But again still no A/C. I'm kinda stumped.
SuperZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 14:22   #12
Rx7145

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Voltage to the RCV?
Rx7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 15:47   #13
Diesel126
Veteran Member

Fuse?
Old August 17th, 2017, 17:49   #14
gassprint1

well ****... there supposed to be a test that can be done with the vdcs that check all the sensors and stuff.
Old August 26th, 2017, 05:47   #15
DunnTDI

Referring back to the RCV, I noticed on PolarBearInc there are several different types of RCV specified for several of the VW compressors. How do you know which one? Do i need to pull my RCV and then order the closest similar design. Or is there a specific I just need to look for?
DunnTDI is offline   Reply With Quote