www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old December 9th, 2016, 20:02   #6826
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Anne Drewa and Sophie Lui, mmmmmmmm.
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2016, 09:21   #6827
ATR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cseress View Post
Yes, you are. Sept 25, my glowlamp came on and I took the car immediately to my mechanic (77,000 miles on the 2013 tdi). Metal shavings in the fuel system. He said call VW and ask if there is a warranty; I did and they said "YES!" So I drove carefully over there, the engine light now on. Before I got there, the service Tech at my local VW dealership said he was shocked but there is no warranty on my car. The cost to repair? $7800. They tried to get goodwill from VW Corporate, but were told there is NO good will for TDIs. My car has been sitting at the dealership since Sept 25, and they have promised to do everything they can to make sure it gets onto the buyback truck, but I have not yet received my offer!! And I don't want to 100% finance a new car!! I am not a happy camper, not at all. I believe that they should have DISCLOSED to 2013 TDI buyers that this was a risk before we purchased the vehicles! VW tries to maintain that it is mostly mis-fueling, but the safety report from the government highlights misfueling as being significantly less common than VW Corporate maintains, and fingers keep pointing to a Bosch injector.
I'd call a few local news stations and see if they can put a giant spotlight on this issue (show them this thread as well). Vwoa should be covering this.

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 14:03   #6828
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanner View Post
I apologize if this question is answered somewhere within the forum, but not a diligent follower. We LOVE our 2013 Passat TDI. However, are we exposed to HPFP failure? From reading, it appears VW extended the warranty though 2012, but not 2013 and above. Does this imply the issue is fixed in 2013 and later, presuming one does not do something stupid such as mis-fueling? Of course we have the tempting buyback offer, but as mentioned, our Passat fits our needs to a T.
Here is my observation (working at a dealer) - no.

We have done numerous Jetta/Golf fuel system failures (oddly no Beetles) with marginal to no obvious mis-fuel issue. There have been some that admitted to mis-fuel previous tank or only a little and kept on driving, but most appear to be just filling as normal and it quits one day. And a few have drained substantial water out of, so be careful where you get fuel.

Now I have only seen 2 Passats, over the last 6 years, with a fuel system failure. Both were mis-fueled with a full tank of gasoline and driven until dead. In both cases the fuel system was flushed with diesel, filter and HPFP replaced and continued life.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 17:44   #6829
jason_
Veteran Member

Holy jesus. The pistons outlived the pumps' lack of lubrication???

Could I burn premium with the right pump?

Sent from my S-Off'ed HTC One...
jason_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 07:30   #6830
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

My 2012 just turned 105K. Planning on going CP3 when I change the timing belt.
'15 Passat SE M6 - Sold back 12/22/16
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 12:26   #6831
MRO1791

Fuel Economy: Lifetime avg 41, best 50 mile: 59.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Here is my observation (working at a dealer) - no.

We have done numerous Jetta/Golf fuel system failures (oddly no Beetles) with marginal to no obvious mis-fuel issue. There have been some that admitted to mis-fuel previous tank or only a little and kept on driving, but most appear to be just filling as normal and it quits one day. And a few have drained substantial water out of, so be careful where you get fuel.

Now I have only seen 2 Passats, over the last 6 years, with a fuel system failure. Both were mis-fueled with a full tank of gasoline and driven until dead. In both cases the fuel system was flushed with diesel, filter and HPFP replaced and continued life.

Jason
In contrast, my second Cruze Diesel, which I bought used.. it has had a misfuel, and was run until is stopped with multiple MIL (according to records I was able to attain).. Bad fuel replaced, and MIL cleared, and the HPFP is OK, no need to replace. The cam roller is a HORRIBLE design. The Passat, as I understand it has different injectors (solenoid vs piezo electric), perhaps lower fuel rail pressures, so it might be less failure prone, but it's still a crappy cam roller, and it was done only to save about $600 per car.. VW cheated emissions for about $300 per car. That is what it is. That CP3 conversion kit would be a must have if I had kept my VW (and the restitution money would more that pay for it), and if I ever found one extra cheap, it would be a must install, or I would never really trust the car that could rapidly die with a HPFP failure causing massive and expensive and complicated repairs.. I just would not trust that pump. Same with the newer Ford and GM trucks that use the 2 piston version, the cam roller is a poor design, but it is clearly easier and cheaper to manufacture, hence why it exists.
MRO1791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 15:23   #6832
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRO1791 View Post
In contrast, my second Cruze Diesel, which I bought used.. it has had a misfuel, and was run until is stopped with multiple MIL (according to records I was able to attain).. Bad fuel replaced, and MIL cleared, and the HPFP is OK, no need to replace. The cam roller is a HORRIBLE design. The Passat, as I understand it has different injectors (solenoid vs piezo electric), perhaps lower fuel rail pressures, so it might be less failure prone, but it's still a crappy cam roller, and it was done only to save about $600 per car.. VW cheated emissions for about $300 per car. That is what it is. That CP3 conversion kit would be a must have if I had kept my VW (and the restitution money would more that pay for it), and if I ever found one extra cheap, it would be a must install, or I would never really trust the car that could rapidly die with a HPFP failure causing massive and expensive and complicated repairs.. I just would not trust that pump. Same with the newer Ford and GM trucks that use the 2 piston version, the cam roller is a poor design, but it is clearly easier and cheaper to manufacture, hence why it exists.
I've drained and refilled many misfuelled Dmax CP3 work trucks that barely made it here, dying numerous times on route and years later, still running, some 24 hours a day.
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2016, 15:32   #6833
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Both Passats I spoke of started after getting fresh Diesel, but for the sake of long term durability (one was a PDI) the HPFP was replaced.

Jason
Old July 31st, 2017, 13:01   #6834
montgomery

TDI(s): Audi A3
Default Audi A3 1.6tdi

Have just been informed that my high pressure diesel pump has failed causing me a major expense to repair. The car is a 2012 model and has 40,000 miles. Any news as to whether Audi are extending warranty on this.
montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 11:20   #6835
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
Have just been informed that my high pressure diesel pump has failed causing me a major expense to repair. The car is a 2012 model and has 40,000 miles. Any news as to whether Audi are extending warranty on this.
That would depend on what your local importer is doing. Warranties are different from country to country. Not sure how many people are on here from Malta or somewhere close that could help.

Jason
Old August 1st, 2017, 22:38   #6836
Smokin_Joe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tdi-discussion-101/ Try posting here Good Luck
Smokin_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote