Does Luk Flywheel have the same timing mark?

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Hey guys,

Just wondering if the LuK LFW134 Clutch Flywheel has the mark for TDC on it? I changed the clutch 2 summers ago and today was getting into my 2nd timing service. I rotated the engine by hand and recognized the paint marks I had put on last time, lined up on the cam and the crank pulley/lower cover, also had some marks on the belt just to be safe. When I look in the transmission hole I'm not seeing any marks. Should I just safely proceed with what I have? Car ran fine. Disclaimer: this is a gasser 2.0L wagon.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Someone correct me of I'm wrong because it's been a while and that was my first clutch job. The Flywheel can only go in one way right?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Last I remember doing the timing belt on the gasser it lines up with the timing cover to set timing, not the flywheel. You might have better luck asking on vwvortex for the gasser. And yes the flywheel can only be installed one way.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Every time I put in a new flywheel I always index it to TDC, it's not the first time I've found a flywheel to be off by about 2mm. Also use a file and make that mark much easier to see and feel. But to answer your question. No. It should be where it needs to be.