2004 BEW Engine work

hotrdd

TDI
2000 and 2004 Jetta
Picked up a dirt cheap, excellent condition, 2004 Jetta TDI sport with the BEW engine because the previous owner blew up the turbo. Good news is that I have someone just down the road with a VNT 17 turbo off of an ALH engine. What I need is some help deciding what to do.

I've owned several other VW diesels and also have a 2000 Jetta TDI so I know my way around the car.

Obviously we will be replacing the turbo and while I am in there expect to do the EGR delete, intake cleaning and new vacuum lines. Possibly the timing belt to be on the safe side.

But should I be swapping anything else? Injectors? or anything that would help me get the performance out of the VNT 17 like a 3 Bar Map Sensor?

At one point I saw a list of performance upgrades to consider in order but I wasn't able to find it again.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The stock injectors will flow more fuel than a vnt17 will ever need. Most likely, that turbo from an ALH doesn't have the smart sensor on the actuator (VNT position feedback) but it can be tuned out (or buy the correct VNT17 actuator).

One thing I will recommend it tackling the intercooler connections. Get a new oring and a doggie collar for the connection at the intake. It's weak enough at stock boost levels. Or - since you won't have working EGR anyway - get a PD150 intake w/ racepipe.

Anything more than that turbo will need even more hardware - intercooler upgrade (IATs will skyrocket), MAP sensor, etc. And of course a clutch!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The VNT17, with bigger injectors is good for 150HP in the ARL euro engine. While the OE, US ones can flow, the injection duration gets long and egt climbs...so the PD150 engines use larger injectors. Depending on how nuts you plan, a clutch is in the cards. I would go bigger injectors( fitting PD nozzles costs more than the nozzles, last I checked Kerma the total was ~$1200).
cheers,
Douglas

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
If you plan to take full advantage of the VNT-17 turbo then yes, you should get a 3 bar MAP sensor.

This will allow you to go up to a stage 4 tune. You'll need a better clutch to take advantage of that.

Definitely do the timing belt if you don't know how old it is. Mine was far from the mileage for replacement, but it was 7 years old and stripped a bunch of teeth. I rebuilt the engine. You don't want to have to do that.

Expect the turbo oil feed line to break. Consider a stainless braided line, or at least be ready to buy a new line.

Once you get all the EGR stuff out of the way, these engines are truly a delight to work on. (I like it anyway).

Jay-Bee

TDI
2004 Golf TDI-PD
I just went through turbo replacement on my BEW as well. Did EGR cooler delete/blockoff (cheap amazon kit), intake manifold cleaning (soaked in a bucket of diesel then pressure washed), runner flap delete, and deleted all vacuum lines except pump to N75 to VNT actuator. Stage 1 tune by Jeff Stevenson (look him up great tunes, local to Alberta and BC)

If you want to go steel braided oil feed like i did you can grab everything from Gregg's. Fittings and specs are listed in the forum here somewhere or PM and i'll dig it up.

hotrdd

TDI
2000 and 2004 Jetta
Found a GT1749VA turbo that I'll get checked out, clock it and then install. The Timing belt will be done and the EGR delete. I'll take the rest from there. Planning to replace all the vacuum lines at the same time as well, since I've had those fail before and that sucks on a long drive home. I'll need some help as I put a different turbo on and get it plumbed back in.

I'm not looking for a tone of HP upgrade just a little improvement and a little more fun to drive with the manual transmission. Will do a Clutch upgrade in the future if I have to.

Question: Can I use the VNT actuator from my stock BEW turbo on the new turbo? Just build an adapter plate or something?

Last edited: