vnt-15 turbo problem

Squibals

TDI
2002 jetta tdi 1.9
I removed the turbo from the car and have removed the bolts that hold the turbo in the manifold but I CANNOT get the turbo to seperate from the housing it sits in!!!!!! Can any of you guys help!! Meaning I can't get to the VNT part to clean it. it won't release.????

99_TDI

TDI
1999 mk4 ALH & 2005.5 mk5 BRM
I would try an air hammer on the exhaust housing. I don’t see any other way of doing it if that even works, they are very tight together, and it gets real bad over time with heat and rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Propane torch is your friend .................. and PB Blaster..

Hammer too much in the wrong place(s) and something will crack, break, etc., you may not see it. Then, later back on the engine there will be an oil leak, small or large!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I put a rosebud tip on my torch and heated one side of the exhaust manifold, cartridge came right out. Takes a lot of heat

Squibals

TDI
2002 jetta tdi 1.9
I broke it!!!!!!!!!!!! The cartridge is toast................................... Where do i go from here????? :(

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, get out your wallet, no cheaping out on this thing. Unlikely you could have done much with it anyway, turbos and injection pumps are not friendly to amateur rebuilds.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I broke it!!!!!!!!!!!! The cartridge is toast................................... Where do i go from here????? :(
Well, did you get it out?

If you are interested in a used one.....

I might have a reasonably good cartridge (under 200k miles). Would be far cheaper than shipping a complete Turbo/Manifold.

Squibals

TDI
2002 jetta tdi 1.9
I did get it out but from everything ive read, i would be a fool to just put another cartridge in it. That would be easy but it seems theres a very high failure rate. the only thing broken is the sealing plate that marries to the compressor housing. I might just buy a whole unit though. stock vnt-15 seem to be relatively cheap new. im stupid

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
No, stupid would be doing twice. Use heat next time.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Some have had success replacing cartridge, many more have not. Andy seems like an honest guy, he wouldn't sell you a bum part, but getting it in and working could be problematic.