Strong Diesel Smell in and around Car!

nakimball

TDI
'05.5 Jetta 5spd
Hello all,
I went up to the lot where I park my car a couple of days ago and noticed a strong diesel smell inside and outside of the 2005.5 TDI that I drive. I have had a fuel leak through the fuel filter before, but I turned the car on and it seemed to be sealed up just fine. I shut it off and came back this morning to the same strong smell. Nothing seems to be dripping onto the ground, and the smell is strongest on the drivers side of the car. What do you think this could be? Is it safe to drive the car? Thanks.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Probably not a good idea to drive the car till the leak is fixed. Although diesel is alot safer than gasolene, it will still burn vigerously if there is a source of ignition.

You might have to remove the air cleaner housing and battery to get a better look at the fuel ines. The tandum (fuel/vacuum) pump is located on the end of the head next to the battery. I'd look at the lines going to that first......................

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
The tandem pump is mounted to the drivers side of the engine..this could be your problem, remove the cover and observe the tandem pump and fuel lines for leaks..if viewed from the front side of the car, the TP is like right in the middle of the engine compartment, the fuel lines come from the filter canister and make there way over to the TP..Check these areas..look for wetness..