Coolant Leak, 2001 New Beetle

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Daily driver, TDI, Automatic, 336k miles

This NB has a number of issues including a coolant leak.

Question: is the tranny oil cooler prone to leak coolant externally?

With light and mirror, looking top and bottom, I cannot find the leak.. but most all of the recesses on top of the transmission contain coolant. I have not fully ruled out the plastic coolant flange on the end of the head.

Any thoughts

Oh, and for what it is worth, the auto tranny has never been serviced according to the owner!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I just recently had a similar problem but with my 5 speed. The recesses on top of the transmission had coolant. Not a lot but always a little. Turned out to be my cts O ring.

When I first bought my old auto golf I had the same problem. It was that coolant flange, as I recall that was the first ever repair I made on a vw diesel.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The plastic coolant flanges leak frequently and need to be replaced. Also check the little vent hose going to the head. Usually when those go, they GO, and will be spewing coolant. The plastic flange will be seeping, and when you take it off and look, you'll see why.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Okay, putting an order together for this NB.

Does anyone know the inside diameter of the Power Steering suction hose. The big one from the PS Fluid Reservoir over to the PS Pump?

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I just replaced my plastic coolant flange today and it seems to have stopped my leak. I do have a 5 speed now though since I did the conversion so I have bypassed the coolant lines to the tranny. It takes about an hour to do. Hard to get to some of the coolant lines which is why it took so long.