Large radiator fan not spinning

encoad

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I'm working on getting the AC working again on a 2006 Jetta TDI wagon (MK4, same as 2005).

Looks like all my fuses are ok. When I turn on the AC, the small fan turns, but the large fan does not.

The large fan does not free spin when moving by hand. It's mostly stuck. I can force it to turn by hand, but no amount of physical effort will make it spin.

Can I assume that this fan is toast if this is the case?

Is it also safe to say that if this fan doesn't work, neither will the AC?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need a new fan.

Your A/C *should* still come on, but it will not work very well with that dead fan. However if it has been driven that way for a while, it may have taxed the compressor beyond its limits, and ruined it.

User "DanG144" has some excellent A/C and fan troubleshooting guides you can search for here and make use of if you like.

encoad

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Alright, I'll try to find a fan tonight and give it a go.

Hopefully the compressor isn't bad. I still have 100psi in the system.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The problem with running A/C with the driver side fan dead for any length of time is that the unit will overheat, the oil will coke in the compressor, and once that starts it's a progressive thing and ultimately will destroy the compressor.

Fix the fan, but if it's been dead for a while expect trouble a year or so down the road even if all appears to be ok now.

oilhammer

TDI
You are getting ahead of yourself.

If the A/C does not work, meaning, the compressor does not engage, the fan isn't going to fix anything.

encoad

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
oilhammer, you are right, the compressor does not ever engage.

Heres' what I've done:
1. Checked all fuses, including check conductivity in the above battery fuse box
2. Checked the fans, big ones is sorta seized, small one is not.
3. Checked the pressure in the system, it's at 100psi
4. Checked the compressor, it never engages no matter what.

What's my next step? Try to engage the compressor manually with a jumper wire?

oilhammer

TDI
You need a new fan.
Your A/C *should* still come on, but it will not work very well with that dead fan. However if it has been driven that way for a while, it may have taxed the compressor beyond its limits, and ruined it.
User "DanG144" has some excellent A/C and fan troubleshooting guides you can search for here and make use of if you like.
Start there.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
What oilhammer said.

HOWEVER, fix the fan now. There's another problem obviously if the clutch does not pull in, but that which you find and is obviously broken needs fixed anyway, especially when not fixing it can and will cause future collateral damage, so fix it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
1,897 posts, mostly asking the same questions answered in the first part.
That's a great AC troubleshooter for more than just fans. Post #1 and it's links contain the meat. Some additional info in say the first 20 posts.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
What's my next step? Try to engage the compressor manually with a jumper wire?
You might get lucky and find the compressor clutch coil has gone open circuit. It should measure around 3-4 ohms, and can be replaced without opening the system.

I'm not sure how long mine ran with a bad large fan. It was working when checked in the spring, AC failed mid-August. New fan and compressor clutch coil fixed it, that was 2 years ago.

Simon

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
I ran my car for a year before replacing the big fan. No problems with the A/C. That said, my car is run on the highway, Monday through Friday. What clued me in, was got stuck in traffic, and the A/C did not feel as cold. New fan, all back to normal.

encoad

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
So I've made some progress. The big fan was not spinning, so I replaced it with a used one and it works great. I tried to replace the control box under the battery, but discovered that it's wires were corroded. So I replaced the harness section and kept the same control box. Still no engagement fromt he AC clutch.

I've now tested the AC clutch and discovered it is giving an open circuit instead of 3.7ohms of resistance, so this is the next thing that I'll replace. I tested as per this video and will try to replace it like he does as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PHH5a8JK8

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I've now tested the AC clutch and discovered it is giving an open circuit instead of 3.7ohms of resistance, so this is the next thing that I'll replace. I tested as per this video and will try to replace it like he does as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PHH5a8JK8
Much easier to do this job from underneath, just unbolt the compressor, lower and support it while you change the coil. No need to remove the belt tensioner or alternator.

Simon