Thinking of trading in my 6MT JSW for new Jetta TDI SE

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Test drove a couple of 15 Jettas with the TDI engine/DSG combo ... I was surprised at how much I liked the DSG. That said I only got 41 - 42 on a combined loop with city/highway and I expected better. I did like the engine/tranny combo and could easily tell it was more refined than mine.

Anyone else switch over to the DSG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
I didnt make the switch but i did drive a DSG for a few days as a loaner car. Took some getting used to, it was a good vehicle. however it cemented my preference for the 6MT

oceanrunner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 6M
I just bought a new 2015 TDI SE 6M. After facing the same decision I chose the 6M and I am very pleased. My old car was a 2006 TDI DSG and I didn't want anymore 40K services and DMF issues...etc. My first tank of mixed driving with AC on was 43.7 MPG...that said I only have 618 miles on the car and refilled at a 1/4 tank. It's amazing I can drive 45 MPH in 6th gear at 1100 rpm. I assume as I put miles on the car the MPG will continue to increase.

oceanrunner

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI 6M
I didnt make the switch but i did drive a DSG for a few days as a loaner car. Took some getting used to, it was a good vehicle. however it cemented my preference for the 6MT
I see you live in Jupiter. I'm up the street in Hobe Sound. Can I ask you who tinted your windows? That's next on my list:D

1TDI4Me

TDI
'01 Jetta (sold, but missed) '12 Jetta TDI 6sp Malone and Rawtech, '13 Golf DSG (SOLD!)
I went the other way. I had a '12 Jetta 6MT for the wife and wanted to get something for a daughter. Got a '13 Golf DSG and thought I would put 60k or so on it and hand it down. My wife and I both agreed that the lag between throttle pedal application and action was way too long. I would time the crossing of lanes by hitting the pedal about 2 seconds before I would in my truck or Bronco. This made it look like I was timing to ram the crossing traffic. I could not conceive of giving this to a new driver and expecting all to work out well. Naturally, the dealer assured me that this lag was normal. Oh, and then there's the $500 DSG service every 40k they somehow failed to mention when I bought it. There goes any thoughts of savings over my other daughter's Hyundai.

Result- traded the Golf off on my wife's new Q5 Diesel and I inherited the Jetta for myself. Jetta was then upgraded by Malone and Rawtech. DSG will not be in my future plans.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
I switched to a DSG from stick due to commuting in rush hour traffic. I have no concerns with the DSG. The DSG service can be found cheaper at most indy mechanics.

Only lag is in really cold weather first thing in the morning.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I went from Manual to DSG in my daily driver back in 2011 (2010 Jetta Sedan 6 speed to a 2012 Passat TDI). As a matter of fact all 3 of my current VW's have DSG. One is Malone tuned (2013 JSW TDI) and it is fantastic. They all 3 are a little quirky but the smoothest by far is the one in my Passat. The most quirky is the oldest one which is in my 08 R32.... Still I love them all.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
I see you live in Jupiter. I'm up the street in Hobe Sound. Can I ask you who tinted your windows? That's next on my list:D
I actually had it done in stuart when I lived there. It was a place called Tropic Tint, I had a high quality 3M tint done. overall very happy with it.

Tornado TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
I got my new Jetta TDI last Friday. I was thinking about going with the DSG this time (never owned an automatic before) but after driving both decided to stay with the manual.

cavymeister

TDI
2014 Jetta Premium
I picked up my 2014 with a DSG last April. We went with the auto because of the wife. I'm happy with the quickness of the shifts. I've been driving manual transmissions for the past 20 years, and much prefer them. That being said, this thing sure beats any slushbox I've ever owned or driven. A couple things that I needed to get used to were downshifting and the fact that the car acts like a manual when you take your foot off the gas and engine brakes.

Fuel mileage is averaging a tick under 40 over the life, but has been on a steady rise and over the past 10 fuel ups has been averaging 41.5. I do a LOT of sitting in traffic, half my commute (time wise) is in bumper to bumper traffic. When I am rolling, i generally run 65-80 mph. So, I am not hypermiling.

I haven't taken it on an extended trip yet, so I don't know how the fuel mileage will be on full highway miles.

Last edited:

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium DSG Reflex Silver
After years of driving torque converter autos I find the DSG totally amazing. The way it shifts both up and down depending on speed and braking pleases me. Especially in the snow. Being new to front drive as I am the vehicles I have driven before with FD and a TC auto the DSG is FAR superior. When stopping I've found that once it downshifts into 2nd on its way to 1st very little brake pressure is required. I will say that when you start out with a cold engine/trans it is a bit "jerky". But this lasts maybe a 1/2 mile before things get warmed up. As for the whole "manual" thing I had an instance yesterday where some old guy in his Caddy pulled out of a gas station without looking. I had to do an "emergency escape and evade" maneuver. I stabbed the throttle to get out of the way and the DSG enabled me to accelerate to where I DIDN'T get clobbered. This on snow covered pavement. This was one of those instances where if you had to "do the dance" stomping on pedals and shifting gears the situation might not have been the same. Besides If I want to "go through the gears" I'll just bump the lever over to the right and have at it. As for the 40K deal on service I'll deal with it over the convenience of being able to keep both hands on the wheel in case some old fart that should be driving "livestock" has his head up his keister. :mad: