Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, Silver, 6-spd
OK Guys, there's a bet (dinner) riding on this so I hope you are going to back me. Besides being dumb and a good way to get killed, is it illegal for motorcycles to cut down between cars on a congested highway that may or may not be moving (5mph give or take)?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I think you owe each other dinner--when we lived in California 15 years ago it was legal for motorcycles to cut between lanes (it was really scary when they went between two semi's). In Oregon it's illegal, as well as Washington to my understanding. In any case, I think that it depends on the state.
Cheers,
-BB

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
It is legal in California. It's been more than 15 years since I last owned a motorcycle. But if I got one now, I think I'd be real cautious about splitting the lanes. I would want to see some indication from the drivers ahead that they knew I was coming up from behind. I try to move over in my lane to give more room to the motorcyclist, which is also a way of signaling to him that I know he's there.

Is it a good idea? At 5-10 mph, yes. At 30-40 mph, no. But I've seen it done at 40 mph... very dangerous, I think.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
OK Guys, there's a bet (dinner) riding on this so I hope you are going to back me. Besides being dumb and a good way to get killed, is it illegal for motorcycles to cut down between cars on a congested highway that may or may not be moving (5mph give or take)?
The answer depends on your local jurisdiction. In California, it's legal. Here in Ontario, it isn't. Elsewhere, depends on local laws.

By the way, provided that it is done with common sense and not too great a speed difference, this practice is not hazardous. If the traffic is not moving or is moving very slowly, it's impossible for cars to do sudden lane changes in front of the filtering bikes. When I was in California, it was normal practice, and most car drivers *expected* bikes to be filtering through. I had no trouble.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
As far as I know it's still legal in California. At least they were still doing it the last time I was there. I believe there is a restriction on the speed differential.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
is it illegal for motorcycles to cut down between cars on a congested highway that may or may not be moving
These is no YES/NO repsonse that is correct since you have not specified what state or country you are referring to.

Motor vehicle laws vary significantly from state to state. Lane splitting is illegal in most states but not all.

LVPAJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW, 2015, Silver, 6-spd
I had assumed (yes I know what that does) that it would be illegal across the board. It just seems like a sure way to get hit eventually. I was visiting California at the time, and couldn't believe that at rush-hour they were cutting between cars in traffic. I thought for sure it was illegal and it was just that "local policy" had taken over on the roads (whether it's legal or not, everyone does the same thing at that intersection, etc.), but I guess that's not always the case. Thanks for clearing this up guys. I like the suggestion of "we both win/lose" - I'm going to have to see if I can wiggle that one in there somehow...

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
The answer depends on your local jurisdiction. In California, it's legal. Here in Ontario, it isn't.
GoFaster, I agree that it differs between Jurisdictions, but it is legal in Ontario - that's a city in California. Just ask Harvieux (it's about 34 miles down the road from Fullerton).