1.9L B4 Passat, Injector letting in air, wiggly.

sootful

TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2002 Golf GLS TDI
I finally got around to installing a new set of injectors (new nozzles, balanced et al) into my 1.9L B4 Passat.
Injector No 1, without the hold down wiggles freely in the injector hole. A new washer, provided with the injectors was used. The hold down claw clamp was installed with a new bolt and torqued to spec (14 nm) using my digital Craftsman torque wrench. I did not tap down the injector as this is specifically listed as a do not do. The hold down, properly torqued, should be adequate. After all was hooked back up, the engine was started and it chugged. Air bubbles are visible in the clear fuel line. After trying and failing to purge the fuel line at the top of the injector, I tightened the 17mm nut to the injector back up. Being very frustrated, I hit the accelerator hard and steady for a solid minute. It was that or start throwing tools. Fuel had come up from around the base of the injector (NOT from the top). The bolt on the hold down was still torqued properly. I redid the entire procedure. Twice. Same thing.
Should I heat the ever living heck out of the washer before dropping it into the hole? Will that help the nozzle seat better? I had bought several extra washers so I can get a few more tries before I push this car off a cliff.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
There's not really any scenario where fuel would be coming out of the cylinder around the injector - there's next to none in there even at full accelerator pedal. Any fuel that gets injected either gets burned or finds its way out the exhaust.

Virtually any time you see fuel around the base of the injector it is coming from one of three places:

- from the hard line connection
- from the soft rubber return kines
- from between the two halves of the injector body

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

sootful

TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2002 Golf GLS TDI
The hard line connections are dry.
The soft line connections are new and dry
The injector body is suspect in my opinion but then so is the seal.
I cleaned the injector hole and did not see any build up. I just wonder if there is a nick or something that may be giving me issue. It's dark now and my next day off is next Wednesday. I may pull the injector again and drop it off locally to be tested for body leaks, just to eliminate one more cause.
I wonder, perhaps I should pull an injector from one of the other positions and see if I get the same result.....

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
The copper gasket will not leak fuel. It will leak combustion gas. Might appear to be fuel if there's some fuel that got into the bore around the injector.

Squirt some soap solution around it to verify a good compression seal.

Sounds like it's injector itself as suggested above.

Swapping with another will not tell you anything since the position has no affect on a body leak. Send it back to the guy you paid to fix it.

Last edited:

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
You say you didn't tap the injectors??? I definitely had to seat the injectors with my slide hammer to get it to seat.

I don't mean wail on it, just a bit more force than just dropping the slide. Then re torque. Repeat until torque value doesn't change after tapping.