2003 Jetta cooling fans wont work...

dcjkrueger

Veteran Member
TDI
When driving my car, as long as I am on the freeway, my car runs fine. After I get off, within 5 mins., it shuts down and I must let it sit for 10 mins. before she will start. Have replaced relay 109, fuel filter etc. Have now maybe traced it to the cooling fans. They do not come on at any time. The AC currently doesn't work, so I cant test them that way by charging. I checked the fuses on top of the battery and that looks fine. No melting or discoloration. What should I look for next ? Would a VW dealer be able to correct this problem ? I live in Northern Ohio. Thx ! Dennis " the menace "

dcjkrueger

Veteran Member
TDI
Doesn't show signs of overheating. Temp stays a consistent 190. However, when stopped after driving, I feel a high temp switch may be turning off the engine due to fans not coming on ?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Doesn't show signs of overheating. Temp stays a consistent 190. However, when stopped after driving, I feel a high temp switch may be turning off the engine due to fans not coming on ?
These cars are not that smart, they will just let it over heat. Your shutting off I would suspect is due to something else, but I would monitor the temps using ODB device to see how warm it is actually getting.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea I don't think the fans would cause that either. A car coming off the freeway and sitting for 10 minutes, the temperature of the motor will rise a bit.
Pretty odd symptom, guessing something sticky with the injectors or pump. As these cars get old, we do see some screwy electronics, many of the wires are very small.
VCDS would really help, check the various temperature sensors, injector balance, etc.

dcjkrueger

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks all. Will continue to work on all of this. The fans do turn freely and no play in the bearings. Will check the FCM next. Getting power thru the fuses on top of
the battery, but fans and AC not working. " the menace "

Adeneh

TDI
2006 vw jetta tdi 1.9
2006 vw jetta tdi 1.9, my cooling fan and a/c not turn on, I change new fan, temperaure valve but still not working pls help