GSW 5M or Jetta 1.4 5M..................

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Having my accepted buyback offer good until late 2018 continues to make my day(s) big time..............................

On my short list are the two subject VW's plus a 'new this year' Honda hatch.

The Jetta has the nearly the range of my TDI if driven sensibly (nee 60 - 65). Over at Fuelly.com, dude from Eastern Canada informed me - rather sagely I mind add - that "............48 - 49 MPG would be reasonably feasible at 65 MPH".

The GSW 5M has essentially the same charm as my TDI: cockpit layout, similar - but not quite - torque curve..........but not the range or MPG. Fuelly.com (again) says - by ez interpolation - I may expect 35 - 37 average in mixed driving. Highway would probably top out at 44 at the current west coast speeds.

The Honda has the MPG (Fuelly.com one more time), the reliability, the - somewhat close - space .................but has a mucho peligro right rear blind spot - not helped by a space ship wing/spoiler combo and a lack of a right rear quarter window. Sad.

I look forward to Model Year 2018 (maybe even 2019 - absent traffic accident potential, the deadly - but statistically low - HPFP issue and finally the DPF issue).

I just realized the length of this post. It's my Canadian friend (Crown Royal).....

ez (I should never drink and drive - er, type.)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If the dude from Eastern Canada is who I think it is, don't count on getting anywhere close to his FE numbers. I've found that for whatever reason folks in California seem to get poorer FE than east coast people. I think it's the way the roads are designed, along with the dry air or something. I think you'd be lucky to get over 35 with a GSW.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
If the dude from Eastern Canada is who I think it is, don't count on getting anywhere close to his FE numbers. I've found that for whatever reason folks in California seem to get poorer FE than east coast people. I think it's the way the roads are designed, along with the dry air or something. I think you'd be lucky to get over 35 with a GSW.
I get much better mileage driving through the USA but that's probably because it is almost 100% Interstate driving.

BTW: My mileage is calculated in "Imperial" Mpg and I assume the one you're referring to is in Imperial Mpg too.

To make that to US gallons subtract 20%.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Well the GSW is by far the nicer and more practical choice. Just turned 2000 km on our new '17 GSW. At first glance it appears a little less fuel efficient than my '16 Golf.

Not by much. Probably 16" tires, heavier by a bit, and not broken in. That's going by the MFD. it's my wife's car, I haven't driven it enough yet for a manual calculation.