www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 20th, 2018, 11:05   #1
Seppoboy

Fuel Economy: 44.2 mpg measured 55,000 miles to date on the BMW
Default Pricing advice on new 2016 Toureg TDI

OK, so the dealers in PA now seem to be well stocked with new 2016 Toureg TDIs with the emissions clearance to sell as new vehicles. I have found several Lux and Sport with Technology models with MSRPs of about $59k and $54.5k respectively on dealer lots.

Given that it won't be long until 2019 models are introduced by a number of manufacturers, and TDI is seen as damaged goods, what do Toureg people think the market value of these TDIs should really be?

I look at alternatives such as well equipped Jeep Grand Cherokees with off-the-lot transaction prices in the very low forties as market comps.

Unless there are some heavy warranty support programs I am not aware of, I was thinking $47k tops for Lux, $42k tops for Sport w/Tech as fair offer prices.

Your thoughts? Thanks, Seppo
Seppoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 11:28   #2
Seppoboy

Fuel Economy: 44.2 mpg measured 55,000 miles to date on the BMW

I just found the threads on the Dieselgate forum, sorry for the redundancy. That's what happens when you have been off the tdiclub forums for a long time!
Seppoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 14:54   #3
Savageman69
Veteran Member

cant compare a jeep to a touareg...not even close
2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2018, 18:40   #4
hause

Considering the wholesale value on 2015 tdi cars has plummeted over the last 6 months you may wanna wait a bit
hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 05:46   #5
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post

The WK2 Grand Cherokee/Durango is the same platform as the W166 MB M/R/GL-class, and they compare pretty closely in many regards to the T'reg. The Chrysler branded ones do have some cheaper bits in some areas, especially some of the interior trim in the back, and probably have more Made in China parts in them, but I would not call them "crappy".

The VM 3.0L diesel does not seem quite as refined as the VAG 3.0L diesel, and certainly nowhere near as refined as the MB 3.0L diesel they did use, but it still gets the job done nicely.

Last edited by oilhammer; March 23rd, 2018 at 05:48.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 06:39   #6
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

The person we bought our 2014 Treg from had purchased a top of the line Jeep Grand Cherokee. I think it was an SRT8 if that is a trim level. Loaded. So clearly people do cross shop these vehicles.

In terms of warranty....yes you get a great big emissions warranty on a new Treg that is more or less a full powertrain warranty. I believe its 10 years/120k, but I'm not positive. Ours has 130k on it already so the extended warranty is 48mo/48k miles.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 08:57   #7
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post
I replaced my 2010 T'Reg with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco diesel and while the fit and finish may not be as refined as the T'Reg, it definitely has a nicer interior, leather dash, heated & cooled seats, better infotainment system, & GPS system than any VW I've seen to date.

2nd row of seating is also more spacious than the T'reg. Full size adults can fit in the back with no leg room issues.

While it also has air suspension, I no longer have the selection of dampening choices, but I'll suffer, lol.

Oh, I can go to about 10 different dealerships in a 20 mile radius if I ever need service...and get this...THEY STOCK PARTS!!! Or can get them within 48 hours
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 12:44   #8
Radman
Veteran Member

I had a 2007 Grand Cherokee diesel with the Mercedes engine. With exception of the ergonomics and seating comfort it was not a bad vehicle. The engine was powerful especially once tuned. However it did not get great mileage due to the 5 speed trans.
I went with the T-Reg because I am a VW fan. But must admit I came close to buying the BMW X5 as it is a much nicer (outside) looking SUV.

As for the OP's question I think the Touareg TDI will hold its value as they are no longer available and there is a demand for them. They sell fast here in Canada and at premium prices on the used market. You would be lucky to get one new!

Last edited by Radman; March 23rd, 2018 at 12:46.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 23:03   #9
NewLyme
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45.5 mpg City/Hwy Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
...I think the Touareg TDI will hold its value as they are no longer available and there is a demand for them. They sell fast here in Canada and at premium prices on the used market. You would be lucky to get one new!
Are TDI Touaregs still being produced for markets outside of North America?
NewLyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2018, 00:55   #10
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The WK2 Grand Cherokee/Durango is the same platform as the W166 MB M/R/GL-class, and they compare pretty closely in many regards to the T'reg. The Chrysler branded ones do have some cheaper bits in some areas, especially some of the interior trim in the back, and probably have more Made in China parts in them, but I would not call them "crappy".

The VM 3.0L diesel does not seem quite as refined as the VAG 3.0L diesel, and certainly nowhere near as refined as the MB 3.0L diesel they did use, but it still gets the job done nicely.
Had a 2017 limited for over a month while my 2012 touareg was being repaired from deer damage...spend a considerable time driving both and you wont feel its close to a touareg.

The jeep plastics are cheap

The seats be it comfortable after an hour or 2 were not...my legs would actually hurt and i had friends that felt the same way

The wind noise entering the cabin is unreal...i constantly thought a window kept creeping open

You hit slush, or a puddle and its SUPER easy to tell there is no sound deadening the sounds produced from it were super loud, reminded me alot of my buddies kia rio

The ride (steel sprung) was harsh to say the least...way harsher then even my 5 year older 190K on it touareg on 10 ply allterrians

It was a gas so cant compare that but fuel mpg on the v6 pentastar was horrid

The awd, it had low tread all seasons and it wasnt impressive...my touareg had similar tires when i got it and the touareg performed better...i will say the jeep has much better nannys for the brakes and traction then my 5 year older touareg...but i prefer it that way.

The heated seat control only in the nav screen on the jeep...stupid and a wee bit annoying

The jeep had 10,000 miles on it and the center arm rest was loose and floppy...the blower for the heat started squealing anything above 2 on the fan control.

The jeep i had also had this weird throttle sticking, if you floored it then release fast it would stay for a moment after...not a fan and considered it a bit unsafe....not sure if it was just an issue with my rental or what.

The handling is far more truck like, the touareg even on bfgs could out perform that jeep in corners any day....just not tuned as nice.

Wasnt impressed that it only had 2 door keyless entry...this is a easy way to cheap out but i love having all 4 on the touareg

I Found the window switches horribly cheap

I found it mind blowing that a 2017 jeep still had a foot park brake...coming from the switch it just was like really? 5 years still no electronic brake

I also didnt like the wipers being in constant view....i think thats another touareg thing that i just love...i love how you dont see the wipers when your on the road.

The traction control...there is no ability to turn it off below i would say like 30%...this is great for safety but if you wanna have fun the jeep aint having it...also an issue if you get stuck..which i did while i had it.

The proximity on the keyless entry was pretty bad...grabbing the door handle with the key in my pocket often yielded me having to pull the key out for it to find it....not so on the touareg.

i will say the stereo was good...headlights were nice..the remote start was cool....but not for one minute was i sad to give it back and go 5 years older and almost 9x the mileage.....The build quality, ride, and handling are not even close....im sure it comes off by nit picking but after 2 years in a touareg and 100k put on it i just have a hard time finding an equal....even my buddies fully loaded x5 doesnt do it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
I replaced my 2010 T'Reg with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco diesel and while the fit and finish may not be as refined as the T'Reg, it definitely has a nicer interior, leather dash, heated & cooled seats, better infotainment system, & GPS system than any VW I've seen to date.
2nd row of seating is also more spacious than the T'reg. Full size adults can fit in the back with no leg room issues.
While it also has air suspension, I no longer have the selection of dampening choices, but I'll suffer, lol.
Oh, I can go to about 10 different dealerships in a 20 mile radius if I ever need service...and get this...THEY STOCK PARTS!!! Or can get them within 48 hours
My touareg has plenty of leg room front or rear...my seat set at 6ft driving position still is tons of room for myself in the rear seat behind..not sure if the t2 was smaller or what but i dont see any space difference in the jeep.

There are plenty of things the jeep doesnt have that the touareg does

4 door keyless entry

full control over mpg measurement and speeds

full control over coming home and leaving lighting

way more door lighting..under door and mirrors

under seat lighting

i like the touareg dash and seats better...the leather in the dodge is soft but it also is ruined with a simple finger nail on the dash....having sat in a track hawk at the auto show...showed me how bad that dash will look if you touch it.

Yes the touareg nav is outdated ill give you that but i dont mind it...could be better but the rest of the t3 is so refined it just makes up for it.

I really havent had to order parts or have an issues with that...perhaps i need to own it longer, but in the 2 years and 100k ive put on it, its been flawless
2012 Highline Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete

Last edited by Savageman69; March 24th, 2018 at 01:17.
Old March 25th, 2018, 13:31   #11
regulator26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppoboy View Post
OK, so the dealers in PA now seem to be well stocked with new 2016 Toureg TDIs with the emissions clearance to sell as new vehicles. I have found several Lux and Sport with Technology models with MSRPs of about $59k and $54.5k respectively on dealer lots.
Given that it won't be long until 2019 models are introduced by a number of manufacturers, and TDI is seen as damaged goods, what do Toureg people think the market value of these TDIs should really be?
I look at alternatives such as well equipped Jeep Grand Cherokees with off-the-lot transaction prices in the very low forties as market comps.
Unless there are some heavy warranty support programs I am not aware of, I was thinking $47k tops for Lux, $42k tops for Sport w/Tech as fair offer prices.
Your thoughts? Thanks, Seppo
Yesterday purchased a 2016 Lux w/Driver Assistance pkg MSRP was $59,005 and purchase price was $44.754 before tax and tags. Also got the Partner Program $500 discount off the $44,754. Works out to a 25% discount. The car was at the port for two years and VAG is pushing these fixed cars to their dealers.
regulator26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 07:17   #12
seancashmere

How did you talk them down that low. I can't get anyone to go below $49K on a Lux. At $44K I am pulling the trigger. At $49K, I am walking.
seancashmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 18:21   #13
seancashmere

Ok, I got them down to $45K, +$500 document fee. I will probably just pay to have it shipped to me, also. $1K more than you, not too bad and I got a color way I want.

I also got the driver assistance package, roof rails, rubber mats, first aid kit.

It'll be sad to turn in my '13 Sportwagen TDI in the buyback, but I upgrade to AWD, pano sunroof, higher ground clearance, etc. I'll throw some A/Ts on her and enjoy!

Thanks for giving me the confidence to push for $45k.
seancashmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 18:33   #14
regulator26

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancashmere View Post
How did you talk them down that low. I can't get anyone to go below $49K on a Lux. At $44K I am pulling the trigger. At $49K, I am walking.
Actually that was their 'No Hassle' price. Got the exact colors that the wife wanted. But I was looking all over the US for this car.
regulator26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 19:10   #15
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancashmere View Post
Ok, I got them down to $45K, +$500 document fee. I will probably just pay to have it shipped to me, also. $1K more than you, not too bad and I got a color way I want.

I also got the driver assistance package, roof rails, rubber mats, first aid kit.

It'll be sad to turn in my '13 Sportwagen TDI in the buyback, but I upgrade to AWD, pano sunroof, higher ground clearance, etc. I'll throw some A/Ts on her and enjoy!

Thanks for giving me the confidence to push for $45k.
You wont miss the wagon....i traded from a 11 tdi jetta....its just so much better...lost a bit of mpg..but awd, bigger ats...more power...and clearance and i still easily break 30s on the highway