found two 03 Jetta TDIs since june totalling 153k miles between them both

HeyZeusBC

TDI
"Hope" 2003 Jetta TDI 5 spd & "Triumph" 2003 Jetta TDI 5spd Wagon
They're still out there! Luck or persistence? Definitely both for me
03 Jetta wagon with 69k and an 03 Jetta sedan with 84k. ALH or bust!

HeyZeusBC

TDI
"Hope" 2003 Jetta TDI 5 spd & "Triumph" 2003 Jetta TDI 5spd Wagon
Yeah theyre both pretty amazing finds and deals. I doubt ill come across another as cherry, but, then again, thats how i felt after i found the first. Paid the same for both within a couple hundred dollars.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Yeah theyre both pretty amazing finds and deals. I doubt ill come across another as cherry, but, then again, thats how i felt after i found the first. Paid the same for both within a couple hundred dollars.

1 Fuelly fuel up. You are on your way! :)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Someone up in the BC area is selling a 2003 Golf with only 64kms on it. I think this is the lowest "mileage" I've seen yet. Automatic though.

Note for anyone coming along: Careful about such low mileage vehicles as they may STILL be on their original timing belt; AGE becomes a factor, and a 14 year-old belt will start to become the most-likely-to-give-way part of the TB chain of parts. Deduct $1k from asking price if there is no proof of the TB being recently changed: assumes the asking price is inflated owing to the "low mileage."

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
It's incredibly easy to change the mileage in the cluster; so make sure the car condition fits the mileage, and the appropriate reporting agencies have been checked.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^ Yup! I won't approach any car unless I can plug in VCDS.

AceTdi

TDI
Golf ALH
Question: What seems to be the trouble with the automatics? I bought one this spring with 178km, and tranny-wise it's been fine. We did swap the oil though upon purchase and it was expected black. I've heard a majority of the issues were due to running VW's "lifetime oil" but the oil is only rated for 150-200km or something (far less than the true lifetime of a TDI). Any experiences?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Question: What seems to be the trouble with the automatics? I bought one this spring with 178km, and tranny-wise it's been fine. We did swap the oil though upon purchase and it was expected black. I've heard a majority of the issues were due to running VW's "lifetime oil" but the oil is only rated for 150-200km or something (far less than the true lifetime of a TDI). Any experiences?
If you search and read the known issues/problems they're there in their full glory. While environment/driving conditions and maintenance have a significant effect there seems to be some mysteries as to why some of these transmissions last far longer than the majority of them (on the whole it seems like 125k to 150k is the average lifespan).

"We did swap the oil though upon purchase and it was expected black."

You expected it to be black and found that it wasn't, or it was as [you] expected, black? Did you change the filter?

Color is one thing, what's IN the fluid is another. If you have a bunch of crap, especially metallic bits, then that's a red flag.

Look around for CoolAirVW's threads on the 01m. Should be mandatory reading for anyone who has an 01m.