So no GSW TDI, why not , 2017 GSW TSI ?

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
Ok , let's keep this clean
Trade in guys or those of us that missed TDI purchase.
Let's keep this as if GSW TDI no longer available, why not 2007 GSW TSI ?
All this talk of what to replace buy back car with ? Say guy is looking at tracking down a 2017 GSW 6 spd. ?
1) if you went TDI to non TDI , would like to hear your thoughts.
2) secondary if one was to attempt to get 17' GSW S 6sd. How to go about ordering ? Two dealers say : request car. Then when time comes we can tell you price and any VW incentives *** ?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Dealer lots seem to be flooded with GSW/Alltrack AWD options, seems massive run on the AWD platform, but there are AWD manual 6spd showing up.

Guess it maybe just a wait for a FWD option. Remember no need to pay MSRP for a jane plan GSW. I'd ask the dealer to keep you informed, any ordering of a car will prob peg you at MSRP where you'd be able to do much better if its on the lot or in transit due to normal allocations. For reference dealer was gave us 1750+1000 loyalty off MSRP our Alltrack, prob could have got an even 3K off MSRP if I pushed.

As a new owner of an Alltrack while still owning both TDIs, I'll still miss the day I give the jetta back. Recent weekend 500 mile trip had us stopping for fuel twice, where as we'd still have enough for mid week driving in the TDI.

Love the improvements on the MK7 MBQ platform feels so much more refined than either the MK5 or the NMS, powers great just shifts a ton more in the hills around the house, wants to go into 6th at 40MPH.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
...powers great just shifts a ton more in the hills around the house, wants to go into 6th at 40MPH.
For that reason, I flip the shifter into "S" mode for driving around town. I also put paddles shifters on my steering wheel (didn't come stock on Canadian Highline / SEL) so if I do want to up-shift, it's right there.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
paddles on the R type steering wheel is very nice. Prob wouldn't have paid extra to retrofit it but glad I have them.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
T/Y for replies.
Can someone answer #2 ?
How to go about requesting a car off the line. Any way to lock in price before it gets here week/ months from now ?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Only way I can think of is emailing a few dealers around explaining what you want, your timeline and let them get back to you.

Biggest thing is finding a dealer sales guy that knows how to look up cars in bound that they would be willing to sell you, instead of trying to convince you that car on thats been on the lot for 5 months is more of what you'd need.

Be firm with what you want and explain you don't want to talk about anything else.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
I was one of those guys planning to buy a TDI Sportwagen. Unfortunately, I researched too much and read that the MMI was going to be vastly improved in 2016, so I waited. I was also wistfully waiting for a 4-motion, non-Alltrack TDI 6MT Wagon. We all know how that worked out.
With those cars gone, I snagged a Touareg during the last week those were sold. I was still looking for a car that I could rack up lots of miles with, however, and the 41 mpg (Fuelly for TDI) versus 32 Fuelly-mpg of the TSI combined with a Lilliputian fuel tank in the MK7 Golf, the gasoline powered car was a non-starter.
Frankly, without the unique Volkswagen offerings (TDIs, wagons, manual transmissions) which have kept me as a faithful customer for the past 30 years, there is little to offset the product's well-know flaws.
After giving up on ever finding a 2015 GSW TDI, I settled on an Accord Sport 6MT. It's an impractical car, but it's fun to drive, gets the same mileage as a TSI wagon, and has a much better range than the GSW TSI, given the 17.2 gallon fuel tank.
For those of you who snagged 2015 TDIs and got them repaired, I suspect you will have a very highly sought-after car for years to come. The Cruze may be a decent substitute for the hatchback, but there are no real replacements for the wagon that I can see.