www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 6th, 2015, 15:04   #1
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Thumbs up Call me crazy! New member of the V10 family.

Picked this gem up today after secretly searching for them for a month. I made the mistake of driving a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, and it was all downhill from there.

It needs a right front wheel bearing, windshield chip repair or replacement, and two headlight bulbs (one is out). 139,000 miles, one owner, services exclusively at Lindsay VW in town for its entire life. Chris Farnham ran the VIN and a lot of typical 2004 things (according to him) have been done under warranty including replacement drive shaft, some emissions components, and something else that I can't remember.

Anyway, I thought long and hard about it, read on here and ClubTouareg, and decided to pull the trigger. It should have enough gadgets and electronics to keep Jason busy for a while - just hoping that nothing goes seriously south in the near future.
Old January 6th, 2015, 15:46   #2
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Now you can tow 747s! And out-pull 3/4 ton diesel pickups!
Old January 6th, 2015, 16:39   #3
yatzee
Veteran Member

TDI(s): see sig

OMG - you pulled the trigger
Old January 6th, 2015, 16:49   #4
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

Nice find! I especially like the interior color combination!

Glad to hear that the prop shaft was replaced. That's big money out of pocket to have a VW dealer do the replacement.

Can you post a pic of the center dashboard area and also the rear center console area?

Just curious if you have all the fancy HVAC & heated seat options for the rear passengers.

Maybe we can have a Touareg tug of war at Winterfest! JK, I don't want to get spanked by your V10.
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 16:52   #5
TDI smile
Veteran Member

Have FUN with it. Nice car. The PORSCHE and the VW started their life in the same factory.
TDI smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 16:58   #6
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Nice find! I especially like the interior color combination!

Glad to hear that the prop shaft was replaced. That's big money out of pocket to have a VW dealer do the replacement.

Can you post a pic of the center dashboard area and also the rear center console area?

Just curious if you have all the fancy HVAC & heated seat options for the rear passengers.

Maybe we can have a Touareg tug of war at Winterfest! JK, I don't want to get spanked by your V10.
This one has every option except 4-zone Climatronic, heated rear seats, and a heated steering wheel (sad, I know). The rear vents blow the same temp air as the front two zones (driver's side vs. passenger's side).

That's actually a good thing, as 4-zone adds a second evaporator and a second heater core.

The 2007 V10 that I looked at back in december had 4-zone and rear heated seats. I was a bit leery of it because there seemed to be some extra gear train noise. That one had a lifetime warranty offered by the selling dealer, though... that will undoubtedly end up haunting them.

I'll post pics when it isn't dark out.

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; January 7th, 2015 at 06:30.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 17:00   #7
Sprocket
Sprockette's hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
I'll post pics when it isn't dark out.
Or post a pic when it's dark out to showcase all those fancy lights & buttons!
B4V, 2.0L w/ BHW pistons, Rosten Rods, Girdle, 11mm, GTB1756vk, RC6, PP764s, .622 5th, Colt Cam II, Ecodes W/leveling motors & Euro switch, fog lights, Koni Yellow, Cat FF, Whitbread 2.5" DP, exhaust, FMIC
Sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 17:32   #8
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Or post a pic when it's dark out to showcase all those fancy lights & buttons!
But it's cold outside!

Okay, off I go.

The soft touch plastic paint on the cruise control buttons is bubbling/peeling a little. Not as bad as some I have seen, though.

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; January 6th, 2015 at 17:42.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 17:48   #9
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Congratulations. Did this morning's weather have anything to do with it?
Old January 6th, 2015, 17:52   #10
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S. View Post
Congratulations. Did this morning's weather have anything to do with it?
Not at all, although it was nice to test drive it in a snowy parking lot today. The sport tires aren't very good in the snow, though. I drove it a bunch yesterday, too... got a pretty good feel for everything before taking the plunge.
Old January 6th, 2015, 18:13   #11
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

This TDI will embarrass a Corvette for the first few car lengths... found that out on a test drive several years ago.

4 wheel drive, dual turbos, 553 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm. 0-60 of around 7.5 seconds, but the first 50 feet are very quick!

Congrats, I wish I could afford one!

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 18:46   #12
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

Ahem*

VeeDubTdi = Crazy.

Nice find.

I'm test driving 335d sedans. One was snappy and one was a D.O.G. with more turbo lag than both my Tdi's combined. How many did you test drive before buying?

PS: looking at photos in post #8, I'm pretty sure the space shuttles had fewer lights/buttons. ;p

Last edited by nicklockard; January 6th, 2015 at 18:49.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 18:52   #13
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
Ahem*

VeeDubTdi = Crazy.

Nice find.

I'm test driving 335d sedans. One was snappy and one was a D.O.G. with more turbo lag than both my Tdi's combined. How many did you test drive before buying?
I drove it about 15 miles yesterday (mostly interstate and back roads) and another 10 miles today (mostly neighborhood, snow, and main drags). I went over the whole truck for about two hours yesterday and again for two hours today, stood and stared at it for about 30 minutes having second thoughts, then decided that it was too good to let go.

I also put calls in to several people on the forum, including mrchill and Chris Farnham. Chris ran the VIN through the computer and gave me info on all of the warranty work that had been done, and sent me the Carfax. He asked his service guy about it and everything checked out as far as they could tell. And last night I spent about three hours reading all of the SSPs for the Touareg, the V10, and the AISIN 6-speed transmission, in addition to a bunch of stuff on Club Touareg including that epic rebuild thread.

Research research research.

Bonus item: I got 29 MPG according to the dash on the way home. Can't wait to put my first tank in Fuelly.
Old January 6th, 2015, 19:00   #14
BKmetz
Administrator, Member #10

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
Ahem* VeeDubTdi = Crazy.

Nice find.;p
naw... Compudub saw this

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...rcraft-2014-12

and thought, 'meh, we can top that...'

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )

Last edited by BKmetz; January 6th, 2015 at 19:53.
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 19:06   #15
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Wow nice new ride. You guys have to come on over to show it off.

Jeremy Hoover over at PD Autowerks. He knows a lot about Toureg. When I was there he had a v10 at his shop. His shop is about 40 mins from me in Ashburn