New England Region: 2nd Annual GTG at Colt State Park, RI 10/19

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Please join us for more fun and diesel-based chatter & clatter!

Colt State Park in Bristol is often referred to as the gem of the RI state parks system. The entire western border of the park is an open panorama onto Narragansett Bay and Bristol Harbor. Open year round, the park offers miles of bicycle trails passing along the Bay and through 464 acres of groomed fruit trees, carefully nurtured flowering bushes, and manicured lawns. Rich in fascinating history , it was proudly selected as the location by TDIers far and near to be the gathering spot for the New England region’s fall GTG. This is a family event so don’t feel like you have to leave anyone at home that would like to join in!

Admission to the park is free.

Address: Hope Street (Route 114), Bristol, Rhode Island 02809

Pic from last year entitled: TDIs as far as the eye could see- - portrait by LaFond

We have arranged for a private tour and sampling at Coastal Extreme Brewery:

Newport Storm is Rhode Island's only microbrewery.

Address: Units 3 & 4, Middletown Tradesman Center, 307 Oliphant Lane, Middletown, R.I 02842

And then a quick caravan over to:

…for food + sampler trays. Coddington’s will arrange a fixed menu for us if that makes sense.

William Coddington founded Newport, RI in 1639. He migrated to Massachusetts from England in 1630, seeking religious freedom. Coddington, however, encountered more religious tension and was obliged to leave the state. With the help of Roger Williams, John Clarke and Anne Hutchinson, Coddington purchased Aquidneck Island, known as Newport, from the Narragansett Indians. Coddington later established the state's first legislature and named himself Governor of Rhode Island.
Founded in 1995, Coddington Brewing Company is committed to creating and serving the best beer available – period. Hand-crafted on the premises, all our ales and lagers are 100% natural and delicious. It’s the kind of taste and the kind of freshness that isn’t available anywhere but a brewpub like Coddington Brewing Company.

Beer menu> Map> Food menu

Address: 210 Coddington Highway Middletown, Rhode Island 02842

Hope to see everyone there!

link to last year's event

[ September 24, 2002, 19:30: Message edited by: dieseldorf ]

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
I'll still be in Europe that day, sorry. Sounds like fun though!

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
Funny... I just came across my pictures of last year's GTG, and when I saw the title of this thread I was going to post some pictures...

Tom, you beat me to the punch.

Sign us up! Let us know if you need any help organizing.

I suggest that we start meeting as early as possible on that morning so that we can have lots of outdoor social time before the brewery tour.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by MITBeta:

Let us know if you need any help organizing.

I suggest that we start meeting as early as possible on that morning so that we can have lots of outdoor social time before the brewery tour.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There isn't really anything that needs to be done apart from alerting the people at the brewery and restaraunt as to final numbers of attendees.

Yeah, I agree, let's say we start at 9AM at the park and people can show up when they like. I think we will need to depart the park by 10:45AM to head towards the brewery.

The park technically opens at sunrise.
For anyone wishing to do something healthy prior to the brewery, this park is one of the nicest places to cylce (bicycle) you will come across.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I'll be there. We need more NB's though! Just look at that picture. Shameful! (wink)

Hey Red (a.k.a. Mary), you out there?!

~BG4BD

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
Actually, we airbrushed all the NBs into Golfs... who wants to be seen in a picture with a NB?

4wheeldrift

I am hoping to go. I missed last year's event. Maybe I will bring my (soon to be) one year old son and give mom a day off. I have to start his enthusiasm with all things motored sooner or later.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by malewithbrains:

will this be a pleasure GTG or anyone planning on working on cars at all ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">mwb, the park has explicit rules against car repairs. It is understood that a park ranger will swoop down at the first sign of an open hood.

However, we can ask the owners of the brewery and restaurant, if necessary

RedNBTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2000, Red
Hey BeetleGo and all, I'd love to attend this one if I can get a couple of other commitments reorganized.
I was hoping for a fall cleaning event to revisit my snowscreen before winter. Is there a plan for anything like this?
mary.

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I'm in...... the newbiest newbie among you.
looking forward to sucking all the knowledge out of all the vets then washing it down with brew.

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
Folks, as you know, I am there. 1 maybe 2 adults, 1 maybe 2 jettas, empty beer mugs/glasses waiting to be filled.

TDI
malewithbrains
We will be there ...an adult and a VW

if there is any demand I could load up my trunk with some Delvac-1 ($20 +a beer/gallon).

btw, will this be a pleasure GTG or anyone planning on working on cars at all ?

[ September 28, 2002, 20:19: Message edited by: malewithbrains ]

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I'll do my best to attend. Delvac at $20 a gallon....mmmmm......! Delvac-1 and beer, what a wonderful combination all before 11:00am! Sounds like there should be a law against it.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by natescape:

Tom, when is the deadline for RSVPing?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nate, there is no formal "deadline" but we are going to need to let Coddington's know what's going on. It's my impression that the guys at the brewery just want to know there will be some minimal number of people showing up. I don't think it would be a problem if 30 show and we tell them to plan on 20.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Mary,

If you're up for it, I expect to get together with a non-tdi'ing, confirmed car junky this coming weekend (Sunday, September 29 - after the hurricane rain comes through) for the ole Fall cleanup. I intend to thoroughly clean and wax, and I'm sure my friend would appreciate the unending banter that would accompany it, particularly if there were TWO tdi's in his driveway. He's got a serious case of engine-envy. He just got back from France and had a 5-door Mondeo TDI for 9 days. He won't stop talking about it!

Lemme know offline,

BeetleGo

TDI
malewithbrains
Originally posted by dieseldorf:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by malewithbrains:

will this be a pleasure GTG or anyone planning on working on cars at all ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">mwb, the park has explicit rules against car repairs. It is understood that a park ranger will swoop down at the first sign of an open hood.

However, we can ask the owners of the brewery and restaurant, if necessary
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I understand your concern about the park... the M@$$H0LES here wouldn't even let add power steering fluid to your car in an Autozone parking lot.

but.... when there is a will... there is a way.. I am sure some good soul in RI would open their driveway (and loaner tools) in case anyone wanted to hold up a "timing belt change 101" class

our only prob is to find that "poor" soul

Best Regards
MWB

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MWB:

A TB change is probably best left for another day... this is mostly a social GTG!

That being said, I may be hosting a mini-TB GTG party at my place if it turns out that my newest addition car needs a TB change.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MWB, is the DELVAC1 you are offering the latest spec which would be CI?

Can you check?

thanks.

jdonsbach

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI, silver/black
Hi guys!
Been a while. Tom - thanks for sending me the message about this thread. As usual, put me down for a definite maybe for the moment. I think I've already had something scheduled for me that day, though it may be later in the day and I might have time for this before. We'll see.

I haven't been around TDIClub for a while. Partly because I've been so busy but also partly because it is depressing that I can't be more a part of the social events around here because I'm so busy with other activities and family schedule on weekends now too. I know, I know; "whaaah"!

I'm going to try and make this GTG (the more likely) or if not, maybe the Southern, ME GTG on 11/2.

Jeff D

p.s. anyone heard from poet lately? I had a B4 TDI behind me yesterday right down the street from his apartment that looked just like his. I thought it was him at first but it turned out that it wasn't. Maybe someone stole his Passat?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by jdonsbach:
anyone heard from poet lately?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He went to work @ Colonial VW about a month ago. No one has heard from him since...

Jeff, plan on joining us. I have provided everyone ample lead time.

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I spoke to Derek last week... He's not working at VW anymore. He does have another job. He was having some kind of problem with his apartment.

jdonsbach

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI, silver/black
I heard from Derek the day he left Colonial VW (I think about 2 weeks ago). Haven't heard from him since.

Btw (off topic here) - I finally got my window regulator fixed (for those of you that were giving me advice when it broke over the summer). I saw the threads that VW was paying for the repairs and made an appointment at Colonial. The BONUS part is that they replaced the passenger side too and that wasn't even broken (yet)! One less thing to worry about, though there are still the rear doors that they didn't touch. Oh well. No complaints here!

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
D'oh... I was just kindly informed that I'm required to be at a wedding on the afternoon of the 19th. Clearly, however, this should not severely limit my participation in this event... but it may do so in a small way.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by MITBeta:
I was just kindly informed that I'm required to be at a wedding on the afternoon of the 19th.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Phil, bads news. Can you ask the happy couple to move their wedding date to the following weekend.