Dsg making chattering noise

zekthebassist

TDI
05 Mk4 TDI Jetta 2010 Jetta tdi 6mt
I just finished a dmf switch but took the fly wheel and had it welded. The noise does appear to be from the transmission not the flywheel.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
You welded up your DSG DMF so it is now a ONE piece flywheel?

Somebody has to be first, but that often comes at a price.

Bill

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I also get a loose rattle as the car slows down to walking speed. right around when the clutch is starting to engage. Dealer said its normal, just like they said water in my headlight is also normal.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
I'm a bit unclear as to the weld modification. Exactly what did you do and why? You do realize, don't you, that the DSG has no torque converter to cushion the engine from the transmission? Without a cushion as in a solid flywheel/clutch arrangement I can't help but believe that chatter will be the least of your issues in the very near future.

As to chatter and water in the lamps on a stock vehicle? I believe it might be time to have a heart to heart with management at your dealer. The intent of VoA when the vehicle was manufactured was to keep water on the outside and to eliminate or at least subdue engine and component noise to a bare minimum. You may wish to advise your dealer of such.

Apparently your dealer is still bogged down in the Clinton (long deceased) small engine era or possibly was a dealer for Belarus tractors at some point in the past. The former tending to ventilate the case with an errant rod from time to time and not infrequently at that. The latter being reliable enough but crude... Crude being a kind term when used to describe their products.

Don't settle for excuses when you've laid out good money for a new car. Imperfections happen and get through quality control. Your dealer is paid to correct any such problems. Excuses don't cut it.

zekthebassist

TDI
I have the car apart again Im going to go back dmf and will probably have to replace the input seal on the transmission.The dual clutch in the dsg should function as a buffer allowing a smf to work the only reason it has failed is do to it being unbalanced.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Curious here. How many miles on the car? How did you discover the OEM DMF had failed? Were there balance issues (?) before you welded it?
Sorry to pick on you, but more details might benefit all of us. Thanks.

zekthebassist

TDI
Close to 75,000.It began to make noise a mechanic said it wasn't the flywheel we drove it home the took it to a body shop to have the radiator support replaced my mom has been rough on the car.The balance issues are due the machine shop didn't balance it.

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
One of the big functions of the DMF is to reduce wear on the splined coupling between the engine and transmission. With a welded up DMF I think you will see the splines develop a lot of slop in the very near future. The noise will then get worse until the flywheel splines strip out completely like I've seen once or twice. The tranny male spline is harder than the female flywheel spline but wear is wear. If you let it go too long the wear on the male spline of the input shaft will require it to be replaced to get rid of noise and wear to any flywheel you put on this car.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I have the car apart again Im going to go back dmf and will probably have to replace the input seal on the transmission.The dual clutch in the dsg should function as a buffer allowing a smf to work the only reason it has failed is do to it being unbalanced.
The dual clutch isn't going to be much of a buffer. When the clutch(es) are engaged, it's a direct coupling to the engine and will transmit all of the torque pulses directly through to the rest of the transmission components. If a single mass or welded flywheel was a viable option on the DSG, we would have seen it by now, as they've been out for a decade in North America... and this is the first time I've heard of it.

I anticipate premature DSG wear/damage if you weld the flywheel together.

Last edited:

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
water in the headlight

I also get a loose rattle as the car slows down to walking speed. right around when the clutch is starting to engage. Dealer said its normal, just like they said water in my headlight is also normal.
I took my 2013 to the dealer because of condensate in the headlight. The tech checked the headlight and said it's vented to the atmosphere. He showed me the tech bulletin from VW. Some condensation is acceptable.

Buckwild90

TDI
2013 golf tdi with dsg(Buyback), 2001 Jetta tdi 5mt 414k miles, 2002 Jetta 5mt 289k miles
so a welded and reblanced DMF would not fix chatter issues on high torque CJAA engine? ive heard many people say the dmf at high torque loads, such as getting a malone tune, chatters. would welding it solid and shaving/drilling it back to proper weight not fix the issue? about the the male and female transmission splines, if the aftermarket gave us splines built of a stronger material, would that combat the wear problem? i honestly cant believe the after market. hasnt given us a SMF for the DSG already. the dealer had no standards on the lot when i went to buy mine. wish i couldve gotten the 6sp

zekthebassist

TDI
It ended up not working but I think it was the shop that welded it as they it didn't look balanced. I went on to play with a manual swap and tuning on bew mk4 jetta.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I'm not clear about which VW we're talking about here. I assumed, since we're in that part of the forum dealing with the NMS Passat, that was the car under discussion. But the car listed by the OP is an "05 Mk4 TDI Jetta."
So— OP, please clarify.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
The gentlemen helping me with my performance upgrades for my track only NMS came across a SMF that another gentlemen had on the bench. Apparently it was made in Germany and is not readily available. It was installed in a NMS DSG and it chattered far to much to run. I just hardened my trans to accommodate 240+ HP/480+ Torque and we looked into going with a SMF but the results I just described led us to going with an upgraded DMF.

I don't think you will find balancing is the culprit. I do think these DSG's cannot run a SMF. Please let us know if you prove this to be wrong