NMS DPF delete for Off-Road Use Only

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
I am watching this as well. On a side note, with all this talk of mods and power upgrades, does anybody know how much torque the clutch in the Passat will handle?
With my 02 Golf it didn't take many mods to over power the clutch.
I'm not sure on the clutch, but I think the weak link in this car is the dual mass flywheel. I have stage 2 and DPF delete and my clutch is holding fine, but the flywheel shakes like all hell under peak torque conditions.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yeah the flywheel won't like low RPM peak torque loads. I'd recommend dropping a gear when accelerating if you're interested in prolonging the DMF life.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah the flywheel won't like low RPM peak torque loads. I'd recommend dropping a gear when accelerating if you're interested in prolonging the DMF life.
Thats what I'm doing for now. I'm trying to get the full life out of my OE clutch before upgrading (I did pay for it when I bought the car after all :rolleyes:). The shake isn't hard to avoid, but is very annoying when I want to pass or accelerate without shifting (the lack of downshifting is one of my favorite reasons for owning a TDI). It only seems to occur under heavy loads between 1800-2200 which is right where my peak torque is per my dyno graph.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to give some numbers, my stock clutch is holding fine at 352 torque and 185 HP.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Just to give some numbers, my stock clutch is holding fine at 352 torque and 185 HP.

Do you have a Passat or a Golf, or both? Just curious, because the Passat motor and the Golf motor are not the same.

Also, I am assuming all of this discussion is regarding the manual, not the DSG?

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have a Passat or a Golf, or both? Just curious, because the Passat motor and the Golf motor are not the same.

Also, I am assuming all of this discussion is regarding the manual, not the DSG?
Golf. I know they are different engine codes but I think you are deleting a lot of the differences in the context of this thread. The biggest differences are emissions related.

Manual. I don't know if this is an issue with the DSGs, but I would assume it would be close to the same. I don't know of any replacement single mass flywheels for a DSG. Maybe the older DSG gassers had SMFs?

Bang!

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
So here's a quick update on the Rawtech/Malone install... the DSG tune is done (and is excellent all its own) but we ran into issues with the ECU so we FedEx-ed it out to be done. Depending on shipping and turn around time we're looking at the end of week or so.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Golf. I know they are different engine codes but I think you are deleting a lot of the differences in the context of this thread. The biggest differences are emissions related.
Not really, you joined this thread asking about flywheel for the manual on your CJAA motor. You mentioned 352 lb\ft and 185 HP, most likely a CRKA, the motor found in the Passat will not make those torque numbers with just a stage 2 tune, and a DPF/NOX/Adblue delete. There are 3 major differences between the motors. CJAA has an Air to Air intercooler, Piezo Injectors, and a larger Turbo. The CRKA has Air to Water, Solenoid injectors, and a Smaller Turbo. The CRKA hits the power band sooner, but won't hit near the same peak numbers.

I know the DSG's are the same, but is the Manual the same in the golf and the Passat? I am honestly not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
Not really, you joined this thread asking about flywheel for the manual on your CJAA motor. You mentioned 352 lb\ft and 185 HP, most likely a CRKA, the motor found in the Passat will not make those torque numbers with just a stage 2 tune, and a DPF/NOX/Adblue delete. There are 3 major differences between the motors. CJAA has an Air to Air intercooler, Piezo Injectors, and a larger Turbo. The CRKA has Air to Water, Solenoid injectors, and a Smaller Turbo. The CRKA hits the power band sooner, but won't hit near the same peak numbers.

I know the DSG's are the same, but is the Manual the same in the golf and the Passat? I am honestly not sure.

I did not know about the different turbo and the fact that the injectors were THAT different. I did know about the IC. Yes my engine is a CJAA. As far as transmissions go, I don't see why they would be any different in either car.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

I've seen conflicting comments on the turbo through many different threads on here. Some say the passat turbo is smaller while others say it's larger. Don't think I've seen any that say it's the same, but just clarifying: Is the passat turbo smaller or bigger than the Golf/JSW turbo?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I've seen conflicting comments on the turbo through many different threads on here. Some say the passat turbo is smaller while others say it's larger. Don't think I've seen any that say it's the same, but just clarifying: Is the passat turbo smaller or bigger than the Golf/JSW turbo?
The Passat has a Borg Warner BV40 while the Golf, Jetta, Beetle, and Audi A3 have the larger Borg Warner BV43.

Last edited:

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem

Manual. I don't know if this is an issue with the DSGs, but I would assume it would be close to the same. I don't know of any replacement single mass flywheels for a DSG. Maybe the older DSG gassers had SMFs?

Mine, doesn't do that. No shaking at all and it's a DSG.

I did have the DSG flash modified and I have had it twice where I was slowing almost to a stop and then WOT to get onto the highway past police sitting at the entrance ramp of HOV and it felt like a miss shift, but only a brief milli second shake. I can't reproduce it on call and in order to get the DSG reflashed that's a 2 hour drive, so since it's only happened twice, i am just watching it.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
The reason people get confused, is because the power comes on sooner in the Passat than the JSW/Golf. For some reason people equate that with a larger turbo.

Smaller turbo, so quicker spool, less lag, less peak power.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Thats what I'm doing for now. I'm trying to get the full life out of my OE clutch before upgrading (I did pay for it when I bought the car after all :rolleyes:). The shake isn't hard to avoid, but is very annoying when I want to pass or accelerate without shifting (the lack of downshifting is one of my favorite reasons for owning a TDI). It only seems to occur under heavy loads between 1800-2200 which is right where my peak torque is per my dyno graph.

This is very easy to fix, bro. Tell your Malone dealer you have flywheel shudder and he'll reflash your ECU with a tune specifically to address the small percentage of cars that have this shudder at Stage 2 power levels. You'll be able to hammer down at any RPM without shudder and the slight reduction in torque is barely noticeable, compared to the shuddering you get now.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
So here's a quick update on the Rawtech/Malone install... the DSG tune is done (and is excellent all its own) but we ran into issues with the ECU so we FedEx-ed it out to be done. Depending on shipping and turn around time we're looking at the end of week or so.
Any updates???

Bang!

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Update

So... the Rawtech/Malone install is done.

DSG tune went fine. I would recommend it to anyone whether they plan to do performance upgrades or not. Still wondering why VW tuned it the way they did??? Did they make is suck on purpose? WFT? Oh yea, and we also turned off hill-hold. Again, big improvement, especially when trying to enter moving traffic. *** VW?

It took a few iterations to get the tune right but so far all is well with no CEL or any other issues of any kind. The first tune we loaded made Tons of power but went into limp mode after full throttle pulls. Malone send new files that fixed the problem but it doesn't produce nearly as much power as the first.

I won't bother guessing HP/Torque but will post Dyno #'s if anyone has a recommendation for where to get one done in the New England region?

As far as how it drives... First gear goes by too fast on the DSG to see much a difference. With ASR off it is pretty easy to induce wheel spin in second gear but is manageable. Under full throttle third gear will even spin a little (more than just a chirp).

And the sound? well, its louder especially under my lead foot. But, when its under 2000 RPM or so and light throttle its still quite. Not at all like the Honda's with fart cans that make noise even when they're going slow. Its easy to drive in a respectable & quite way if you need too... but does have a pretty good bark when you stomp on it.

I have no idea how these mods will impact MPG but I'll post something here after a few tanks.

Also, I'm in the New England area if anyone considering these mods wants to take it for a spin.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Very nice writeup. Looking forward to your fuel economy reports!

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Very nice writeup. Looking forward to your fuel economy reports!
As with any mod done to increase power, he'll see a decent dip in the trend until the smile disappears and he keeps his foot out of the skinny pedal lol.

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.

passatv6af

Veteran Member
TDI
B7 6MT
Gosh, all this talk about mods. You guys are making me jealous :( please stop

I have 10k more until warranty ends. Hopefully, around April I shall have stage 2.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Pretty good fuel economy numbers for a car that's driven "off road" only. This thread treads dangerously close to the line.

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
lame that you cant talk freely . Do you have any pics and vids from the install . Interested in seeing some of them , as i would like to do this to mine.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You can talk freely as long as you use the appropriate disclaimer... And not just "insert blah blah blah disclaimer here." Pretty simple.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
and my comment/link was made to show the link that I thought VeeDubTDI was referring to, to ramairetransam's post. Carrying on.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Final note in this thread about administrative stuff... let's make sure to comply with the policies outlined in the sticky thread in the emissions forum. As long as those rules are adhered to, life is good.