NMS DPF delete for Off-Road Use Only

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
Wonder if there was any reason to put the eura injector back in the exhaust :-( I think that could be where the exhaust leak is coming from....but I haven't had time to even look.

RonJitsu

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI, 1/2 of a 1985 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
Wonder if there was any reason to put the eura injector back in the exhaust :-( I think that could be where the exhaust leak is coming from....but I haven't had time to even look.
Yea it was necessary to have it installed, since its still "functional" with your current tune. Reach out to Les and maybe you can get updated to the most current tune which completely eliminates the DEF system.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Like Ron said, at the time Mark hadn't perfected it. Give Ben a call. Sure he can take care of it with an updated tune. Maybe get a CAT put in its place and check for leaks at the same time.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I need a new downpipe for my 94 Eco-TD 1.9L transplanted into my 85 Jetta.......

The woven stainless expansion joint below the turbo is leaking.

What is a good price for a replacement one of these???

Is there someone in the Charlotte area that has the needed stuff here to make me one??

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Aside from ECU and/or DSG tuning, the exhaust work seems easy enough for a DIY'er to do in their own driveway. Unless, there are minor details that are TDI related that would require a mechanic with such knowledge? Curious about how it would sound with each of the different options from Diesel Dubs; a high-flow cat, resonator or both the cat and resonator together.

RonJitsu

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI, 1/2 of a 1985 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
Aside from ECU and/or DSG tuning, the exhaust work seems easy enough for a DIY'er to do in their own driveway. Unless, there are minor details that are TDI related that would require a mechanic with such knowledge? Curious about how it would sound with each of the different options from Diesel Dubs; a high-flow cat, resonator or both the cat and resonator together.
As far as the actual physical exhaust install goes... The hard part is getting the stock exhaust components out. The install of the new exhaust is straightforward...

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Yeah, that's it I'm cheap wanted to save a few $$$ so I spent $1500 to get this done...really. No reason for DEF system as DPF has been removed. This has nothing to do with Smell and smoke.

Yup, raised the coils to handle off-roading, but I sprayed it matte black to go with my sleeper look ;-)
Pictures, where are they?

1 Pic = 1000 Words.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
:cool:so is there any dyno numbers?
Coming soon, I am waiting for a dyno day to run it

UPDATE: I just had a 300 Cell high flow cat installed, I went to 2 muffler shops and found no leaks. Each of them gave Volks and Rings props on their welding job and the quality of the downpipe. Now I don't have any raw diesel smell and I am in love with my passat again, driving on the track.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
That looks like a gasser cat :confused: the diesel soot will plug it in a hurry.

-J
We will see, I know what you are saying, but I actually drove to the shop and had a long conversation with them regarding this cat. I picked up metallic cat instead of a ceramic cat and a very similar cat was DieselDubs recomendation.

We will see over time, but initially, I am very happy. I haven't seen anything different as EGT's and response.

Right now I don't recommend doing a DPF delete and Stage 2 on the Passat as it is very early.

I enjoyed it more at Stage 1.5 with the DSG flash. This mod is wife approved now, but only time will tell.

I will update them over time.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you elaborate on this?
Easy, you never want to buy the first of anything, or at least most of us don't was to be the first.

I need to see how this plays out over the next 5-10K miles. Right now for the cost I was much happier at just a tune.

I am running a cat and much happier now, but there is just many questions and concerns in my head that only over time will tell. Will the Cat clog quickly, how is mpg's now, Dyno numbers, is the adblu nozzle needed in the system since it's tuned out, was this worth it in the end?

Oh or better yet, anyone else that has a B7 Passat TDI with a DPF delete and a Malone tune, chime in.....

Let's see how long before there is a second person like me. I know of 2 other passats with dpf deletes so far, one that Les with Diesel Dubs knows and the other is Rawtek's passat that has the dpf delete. Chime in if you have one as I know I am one of the first, so my concerns are what will my future look like.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I personally wouldn't go this route until I had an upgraded turbo to go with the rest of the mods... that's the current restriction preventing more power from being obtained.

DieselDubs83

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd, 2005 Passat BHW, 82 Caddy TDI
FWIW we do have one with over 10k miles on this mod to date with no problems. Increased performance, longevity, and mpg's.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW we do have one with over 10k miles on this mod to date with no problems. Increased performance, longevity, and mpg's.
And another thing to mention is that the 3 shops all stated that the DieselDubs Downpipe was well built and top quality stuff. 2 of those shops stated that Volks and Rings did an outstanding job with welding job.

I am just a cautious person. If I had a chance to go back, I wouldn't but I just need time to remove my cautiousness and enjoy.

It's kind of like swapping VW CC seats in my passat, I know that's what I want and I would figure it out and I did, all works now but took time time to figure it out. It was't plug and play.

Now in me saying that if you get the malone flash at the same time as the DieselDubs Downpipe install and follow it to the T, this could be a backyard mod, but make a mistake good luck at the dealer and towing it there.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
so realistically what is the rough maximum speed one could achieve in the CKRA with its governor disabled and DSG tuned- anybody know how to calculate that out:confused:
or go to the salt flats and do some (ahem) experimenting?:D
my Grandpappy has told stories about how on his 62 impala being able to "bury the needle" was easy as the old timers say- i wonder if our passat could do the same?;)(with some mods of course)

Last edited:

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
so realistically what is the rough maximum speed one could achieve in the CKRA with its governor disabled and DSG tuned- anybody know how to calculate that out:confused:
or go to the salt flats and do some (ahem) experimenting?:D
my Grandpappy has told stories about how on his 62 impala being able to "bury the needle" was easy as the old timers say- i wonder if our passat could do the same?;)(with some mods of course)
Not hard to calculate with the final drive ratio, RPM, and tire size. Assuming you have enough power to run whatever RPM you throw in the formula.

sumtingwong1381

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI
It's kind of like swapping VW CC seats in my passat, I know that's what I want and I would figure it out and I did, all works now but took time time to figure it out. It was't plug and play.
Did you just have to make new seat brackets? This might be something I'd be interested in doing. I assume the CC seats are much more comfortable? That is one of the ONLY two complaints that I have had about my car so far. The other wishing it had shocks for the trunk lid instead of the hinges.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you just have to make new seat brackets? This might be something I'd be interested in doing. I assume the CC seats are much more comfortable? That is one of the ONLY two complaints that I have had about my car so far. The other wishing it had shocks for the trunk lid instead of the hinges.
Nope, direct bolt up, the wiring was the issue. The driver seat was flip flop a few wires and move over the a sensor. The passenger side was much trickier. I moved over the occupancy sensor for the air bags and then really mess with the wiring.

Look up my build thread and post on there as let's not get off topic from the DPF delete.

High flow cuts down a ton on the diesel smell and I'm enjoying it much more. I am seeing a tiny higher EGT's but I also think that is because I am not fully use to the what the EGT's are now that the sensor is installed much closer to the head. The EGT's will dip low as well while driving, just need to monitor it more.

So far, I'm enjoying it and I don't smell like a big rig.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Nope, direct bolt up, the wiring was the issue. The driver seat was flip flop a few wires and move over the a sensor. The passenger side was much trickier. I moved over the occupancy sensor for the air bags and then really mess with the wiring.
Look up my build thread and post on there as let's not get off topic from the DPF delete.
High flow cuts down a ton on the diesel smell and I'm enjoying it much more. I am seeing a tiny higher EGT's but I also think that is because I am not fully use to the what the EGT's are now that the sensor is installed much closer to the head. The EGT's will dip low as well while driving, just need to monitor it more.
So far, I'm enjoying it and I don't smell like a big rig.
Your previous EGT probe location was definitely not giving you accurate readings.

Bang!

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
By this time tomorrow night I'll either be a happy new Rawtech/Malone customer or wishing I'd waited for others to test the water first. Here's what I'll be installing.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I am watching this as well. On a side note, with all this talk of mods and power upgrades, does anybody know how much torque the clutch in the Passat will handle?
With my 02 Golf it didn't take many mods to over power the clutch.