Should I be worried about the HPFP?

NateM

TDI
2012 Passat TDI Manual
What are the differences between the golf 2.0 tdi and the passat 2.0 tdi HPFP? A friend of mine just traded in his 2010 golf tdi because there were major metal flakes in his fuel filter after each check and he was positive there would be a major repair in his future. If this is a possiblity with the Passat I may change my opinions on this car..

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
tons of posts on this issue, the passat has a Generation 2 CR 2.0 TDI engine. There is no history on it. Your covered under warranty, Don't worry, be Happy.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
One part ends with an "A", on the golf, jetta, jsw 2.0 liter motors, that has been redesigned 3 or 4 times to make it more robust, with no change in part number, the other ends in "E", for the 2012 passat, and there is no guarantee until we have someone open one up, what design changes have taken place. NHTSA continues to investigate HPFP failures for 2009 to 2012 jetta and golf based TDI's, and from what I have seen and read in their questioning, it is pointing towards a patent issue by Delphi and a design flaw by Bosch, who is stonewalling on the whole design defect issue, with typical german arrogance on the whole matter, that it is somehow always operator errror in fueling. YMMV, that's my take on the research I've done on the matter.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
What are the differences between the golf 2.0 tdi and the passat 2.0 tdi HPFP? A friend of mine just traded in his 2010 golf tdi because there were major metal flakes in his fuel filter after each check and he was positive there would be a major repair in his future. If this is a possiblity with the Passat I may change my opinions on this car..
i should have timed how long this thread would take to appear....actually took awhile....allright guys we are progressing....

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
We really do not know if the Passat HPFPs are significantly better than the earlier ones. The have not been around long enough to tell.

However, there is one thing we do know - worrying about it will not kill it or make it last longer. Therefore I say, "don't worry about it" - because it won't do any good. It will either work or fail. There is nothing to be gained by worrying (except maybe an ulcer).

Have Fun!

Don

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
As the Dalai Lama said on the subject of worry :

There are two kinds of problems in this world : ones you can do something about, and ones that you can't.

There's no point worrying about the things you can do something about - just do that something.

There's no point worrying about things you can't do anything about.

So no point worrying at all.