Sway control link drivers side

Bearsvw

TDI
2013 passat highline loaded
Funny noise had it checked to find out its been replaced before but with an after market one. Sway control links are they normally replaced often. It has 65000 kms

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
Funny noise had it checked to find out its been replaced before but with an after market one. Sway control links are they normally replaced often. It has 65000 kms
I have not seen anything here suggesting premature failure of that part is common. That said it seems something is causing that particular part to fail prematurely on your car.

I would check everything out while you have it apart. Make sure the sway bar mounts are properly intact, in spec, and tightened properly. If all looks good I would then replace it with the OEM part, they are not at all expensive.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
Thank you tdiatlast, I missed that with a simple search. I read the entire thread. I have never had a failure but wow many others have.

I installed larger H&R 28/24mm sway bars and H&R springs when my car had approx 5000 miles and it now has 33,000+ miles and I have never had a link failure. I drive my car fairly hard. I often drive some deserted canyon roads going so fast that most any passenger would piss themselves.

I just installed Bilstein coil-overs and Neuspeed rear links. After reading the thread you linked I am going to look at some beefy front links. If I do buy new front links I may just hold onto them for a bit and see if the OEM's fail with the new Bilstein suspension. Here is an interesting set of front links https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B7--TDI/Suspension/Sway_Bar/ES2539081/

And here is a better deal from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Whiteline-KL...1479034683&sr=sr-1&keywords=Whiteline+KLC167A

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^I think the forums's administrator should change the "search" function and have the program immediately go to the "advanced" level. Only using advanced has been recommended here for many years, as a simple search isn't comprehensive enough.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
^^^I think the forums's administrator should change the "search" function and have the program immediately go to the "advanced" level. Only using advanced has been recommended here for many years, as a simple search isn't comprehensive enough.
Thanks for the heads up. I will only use the "Advanced" option going forward.

Bearsvw

TDI
2013 passat highline loaded
Mine has the hotchkis lowering kit with springs and shocks. I just dont understand why they put an after market part when its a 28.00 part

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
Mine has the hotchkis lowering kit with springs and shocks. I just dont understand why they put an after market part when its a 28.00 part
They might have purchased it at their local franchise parts store. Around here we have Autozone, O'Reilly Auto Parts, And Napa Auto Parts. I only frequent them for chemicals and oil recycling. Even my '99 Chevy pickup has never seen an after market part other then K&N filters.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Right rear was replaced at 40K free of charge.