q7 3.0 tdi alignment

vw754

Veteran Member
TDI
AUDI A3 2.0 tdi
I rolled the car onto the ramp,checked toe/camber adjustments,they were all out,then i remembered the car was on the lowest setting(air suspension) i put it on dynamic while the car was still on the ramp.......all reading were ok...........i drove the car on the motorway/highway,car was slightly drifting off to the left.

4 weeks later took it back (still on dynamic setting) all were out,toe,camber etc. why ? Is it because i raised the sespension while it was still on the ramp?

Ive been to kwik fit today(a friend works there) had my suspension on the normal(dynamic) setting, all was in the red?????

Dont know why,he said potholes wear/tear,nothing odd.
had the toe front and rear set, had this set 100% in the middle (dont like this within tolerance thing)

They use a HUNTER machine which was calibrated only last 3-4 days:) I hear dealers use same set up?
caster was out slightly,(only on front i think) had all that done
front/rear camber was done again very near the centre.

anyway front/rear toe,camber /caster was all now in the green and looking good.
passenger side front wheel was the only one where he could not get the camber in the green,he said maybe some bush is worn or someting.....it was 0*33 degrees out,nothing major he
said,will this be ok?????

car drives ok still only thing ive noticed was my steering was very light before,now its slightly heavier,just wanted to know if 0*33 degrees will affect a lot? he said it was over 100degrees out before.

Gearhead51

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
The spec for a Q7 is Right Camber -0.17° +- 0.25°
Are you saying it's 0.33 out of spec or from 0? -0.33 would be in spec. 0.33 is out. Do you have the printout?

I think you mean 1.00 out before. 90 degrees would have the wheel laying flat on the ground face up. Ha ha. To give you an idea of how small these measurements are, the second hand clicks 6* every click. Envision diividing that click by 6 to see 1*.

Those do have factory adjustable caster and camber. If it is still too negative, it's probably worn/damaged joints, bearings, bushings, or bent parts. I'd be curious to put the car back up and see if it holds measurements for any length of time at all. If not, the front suspension needs closer inspection. I always recommend a full inspection before alignment. Otherwise, you're trying to set angles on a wet noodle.

All vehicles naturally "fall off" of the crown of the road. In the US cars normally drift to the right (away from centerline) due to crown. -0.33 on the right might cause gradual drift to the left, but normally anything under 0.5 won't cause issues. It being out of spec will cause accelerated shoulder wear on the tire. Other than that and the possibility of a minor pull, it won't cause issues.

You might get it fixed, though. I'm sure the tires on the Q7 aren't cheap, and the repair might be less than the cost of a tire or two.

In the US, the majority of the dealers are using Hunter alignment equipment.