Air temp sensor and blocking the radiator grill

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Hi all,

Been considering blocking up some of the radiator on my 2011 JSW for the winter months. I washed the car the other day and spent some time on the front and saw the ambient air temperature sensor on the drivers side of the lower radiator grill.

For those of you who are blocking your grill, do you see warmer ambient air temp readings in your MFD?

If yes, anyone care to speculate on what the ECU is doing? Is there a separate Air Intake Temp sensor?

I was also thinking of blocking off just the engine radiator and leave the AC radiator and intercooler exposed. I was thinking I could accomplish this by removing the plastic valance panel behind the upper grill above the radiators and slipping a thin sheet of sheet metal (or similar) between the engine radiator and AC radiator. I'm still toying with the idea. It would be a pain to install and remove, plus, blocking the grill is probably more aerodynamic.

Its possible I may be overthinking this...

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Its possible I may be overthinking this...
I resemble that remark....as do many of my friends who are also engineers... :)

I used standard 3/4-inch pipe insulation to block of 4 of the 5 slots of my lower grille:

The air intake is up above, by the radiator support, and I didn't block the upper grille. I just blocked most of the lower grille, with the idea that I was primarily blocking the radiator to speed up warm-up. This is probably also partially blocking the intercooler, but it should be moot this time of year.

I can't really say how effective it is since it really hasn't gotten cold yet... :rolleyes: But warm-up time has been acceptable.

I did a 'julienne cut' at the ends :) to match the grille profile, and also notched 2/3 of the way through the insulation at the 6-inch-or-so intervals where there are vertical ribs in the grille. I started at one end, mitered it, pushed it in place, made a 2/3 cut where the vertical rib made a temporary depression in the foam, pushed it back in place again, did the same for the next rib, etc., all the way across. It's just held in place there by friction alone, and has survived a couple of U-spray-it car washes without moving.

Last edited:

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG

I used standard 3/4-inch pipe insulation to block of 4 of the 5 slots of my lower grille:

The air intake is up above, by the radiator support, and I didn't block the upper grille. I just blocked most of the lower grille, with the idea that I was primarily blocking the radiator to speed up warm-up. This is probably also partially blocking the intercooler, but it should be moot this time of year.

I can't really say how effective it is since it really hasn't gotten cold yet... :rolleyes: But warm-up time has been acceptable.

I did a 'julienne cut' at the ends :) to match the grille profile, and also notched 2/3 of the way through the insulation at the 6-inch-or-so intervals where there are vertical ribs in the grille. I started at one end, mitered it, pushed it in place, made a 2/3 cut where the vertical rib made a temporary depression in the foam, pushed it back in place again, did the same for the next rib, etc., all the way across. It's just held in place there by friction alone, and has survived a couple of U-spray-it car washes without moving.
Nice idea, I may have to copy this.

BuzzinNH

TDI
Jetta Sport Wagon
I blocked mine, and the ambient air temp is consistent with the thermometer outside my house. I also see faster warm up times on the cold mornings.

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Frugality, I like your solution. I saw it a while back on a different thread and was thinking of doing that. My other thought was a piece of stiff plastic (almost like a thin binder cover material) cut to fit. My car has its front license plate, it provides a good hidden place to put snaps or velcro to help keep the grill block in place. Just gotta source the plastic...

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Frugality, I like your solution. I saw it a while back on a different thread and was thinking of doing that. My other thought was a piece of stiff plastic (almost like a thin binder cover material) cut to fit. My car has its front license plate, it provides a good hidden place to put snaps or velcro to help keep the grill block in place. Just gotta source the plastic...
I've wondered about corrugated plastic sheet....wondering if office supply or hobby stores like Hobby Lobby might carry it....

Cut it to fit and zip-tie it behind the grille?

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
Too bad that VW doesn't put some variable louvers on those grills. Shut 'em up with it's cold and open when it's not. Maybe even thermostatically controlled?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
They could, but these cars were cost-cut from previous Mk5 cars. We didn't get the fold-flat front seats that Europe gets, for example......under-seat drawers....different seat coverings....

I'm sure they could do it, but the problem is that every goody raises the all-important base price. And it's also another contraption that can go wrong. VW's have enough of those. :)

SJD_BOSTON

TDI
2011 JSW

I saw this before and forgot about it. I'm off to Lowes to get some pipe insulation. Just in time for the below 0 temps expected in Ski country this weekend. Thanks again!

Rutch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
If yes, anyone care to speculate on what the ECU is doing? Is there a separate Air Intake Temp sensor?
There should be a separate air intake temp sensor for the ECU. The ambient air temp sensor up front is just for the temp display on the MFD.