What are my options for tuning a 99.5 Jetta

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,2011 Tdi sportwgon
I am wondering what my options are for tuning my 99.5 A4 AHL, I am not sure if it can be flashed through the ObdII or not, can anyone point in the right direction and what would be approx cost?

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
You will need to take out your ECU and send it off to a reputable tuner and get a new chip installed. This is what I had to do.

One of the nice benefits is the OEM ECU does not start fueling until your engine reaches 240 rpm. The new chip will do away with this and start fueling immediately. This equates to a big improvement in cold weather starting. Not to mention the smile on your face from the increased performance.

The costs will vary somewhat but I believe a price around $400 is reasonable.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Greaseburger said:
I am wondering what my options are for tuning my 99.5 A4 AHL, I am not sure if it can be flashed through the ObdII or not, can anyone point in the right direction and what would be approx cost?
Hook up with Jeff Roberston when he in in NH next time :) He's the man delivering the goods ;)

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Second that

or else if you can wait for a couple days without your car just send him your ECU overnight and he will tune it and overnight it back...

You can find some local members to show you how to pull out your ECU if you don't know how...

Very very simple to do ...

dieseldorf said:
Hook up with Jeff Roberston when he in in NH next time :) He's the man delivering the goods ;)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I can say this... Jeff probably knows the 99.5's EB engine computer better then any other tuner in the world. His euro tune runs great in my car. The 99.5's ecu can't be flashed over OBD as I recall. Mine had to have chips installed.

-Jason

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
I know that my chip has lost favor with the in crowd, but I have 240,000 miles with this chip and I still love it! Just drove to Texas and got 54 MPG average. On a car with 270,000 on it. It has lots of power. You will love the chip you get, no matter what. My 99.5 did have to have the ECU taken out and the flash chips removed, programmed and replaced. But I had a GTG at my house and the chip tuner came out to do about 13 people that day. :D Look for a local person near you.

Oh, my tune is Upsolute, stage II.:p

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
One nice thing about the 99.5's is that they come with a LUK clutch compared to the SACHS units found in later models...

I'm currently hitting 131whp/251ftlbs on a stock clutch with over 300,000 miles on it :)