no check engine light or glow plug light on 2003 tdi golf 1.9

gayle

TDI
2003 vw golf gls tdi
the lights never come on when I turn the key on, the car runs fine.
I am new and a bit lost on this site, I have a 2003 tdi 1.9 golf gl I have failed smog due to the fact the check engine light does not come on at all, the car runs great no issues also i do not see the the glow plug light either.
I live in Ventura,CA
I was told to go to the dealer and take all my keys and have a new cluster installed and they will match the keys to the cluster.

the car runs great just can not pass a smog as if the check engine light does not come on when the key is turned it is an automated fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
gayle i

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Every once in a while we see a cluster where a previous owner has covered the Check Engine light with black electrician's tape... usually after deleting the EGR would be my guess. :rolleyes: :)

Doesn't explain the missing glow plug light but might be worth a quick look just to confirm. Actually swapping a cluster is a bit of work, be nice if it was something simpler than than. :)

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
Not sure about VWs but I remember looking at an old Honda Civic for sale 10 years ago and the owner actually took out the bulb for the CEL. Shady...

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Relay 109 caused that on my 2000 Jetta... but it wouldn't start, as it also controls the fuel shutoff solenoid on the injector pump.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The light seems to be part of the control module. Does not look like it's replaceable.
Check fuses 11 15 and 10. They all provide power to the control module.
Long shot. Check if power is getting to pins 1 23 and 30 on the module.

gayle

TDI
2003 vw golf gls tdi
thank you so very much I will have those fuses checked.
what size fuse goes in the 32 slot on the driver side panel?

gayle

TDI
2003 vw golf gls tdi
TDI(s): 2003 vw golf gls tdi
I have no idea what or where the mod is

gayle

TDI
2003 vw golf gls tdi
update on cel still not working

The radio is an aftermarket radio and has a red wire in the fuse panel with and add a fuse connector and the radio works and then stops and that's that so there is a short and I think the radio is the culprit .
There is and add a fuse plugged into fuse #31 and it has two fuse piggy back on the plug this is for the radio what size fuse should be in the add a fuse?? Maybe the fuses in are wrong?
I am still going over the fuse to be sure they are all the correct ones.
\
any clues?

Still no cel spent $58.00 for them to do nothing have an appoint with the bureau of automobile to see whats up, in the mean time I have a 60 permit to drive it the tags are paid still had to pay the ca dmv.

Anyone near Ventura that has any knowledge about this please let me know.

thank all of you for all your replys.

I also have a straight exhaust if anyone is interested I am never going to use it.

Thanks again
:)

gayle

TDI
2003 vw golf gls tdi
The radio is an aftermarket radio and has a red wire in the fuse panel with and add a fuse connector and the radio works and then stops and that's that so there is a short and I think the radio is the culprit .
There is and add a fuse plugged into fuse #31 and it has two fuses piggy backed on the plug this is for the radio what size fuse should be in the add a fuse?? Maybe the fuses in are wrong?

gayle

TDI
2003 vw golf gls tdi
There is and add a fuse plugged into fuse #31 and it has two fuses piggy backed on the plug this is for the radio what size fuse should be in the add a fuse?? Maybe the fuses in are wrong?
I am still going over the fuse to be sure they are all the correct ones.

any clues?

Thanks again

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
the lights never come on when I turn the key on, the car runs fine.
I am new and a bit lost on this site, I have a 2003 tdi 1.9 golf gl I have failed smog due to the fact the check engine light does not come on at all, the car runs great no issues also i do not see the the glow plug light either.
I live in Ventura,CA
I was told to go to the dealer and take all my keys and have a new cluster installed and they will match the keys to the cluster.

the car runs great just can not pass a smog as if the check engine light does not come on when the key is turned it is an automated fail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
gayle i

No don't go to the dealer unless you have 800 plus to just swap the cluster. Find someone in your area with vag com and experience pairing clusters. Look at the trusted mechanics list. See if they can even scan your car for codes. You say it runs fine but you don't know if there are any codes. If there is no one locally and before you go to the dealer try contacting jetta,97 in texas. He does clusters but he would need you to send the old cluster and keys. If it is just the cluster your still talking 75 or so for a used cluster plus what he charges plus shipping and I would plan on being without the car for a week. Do not kick this down the road it only becomes more expensive when you get to a time crunch and have to go to the dealer. You'll have to ask jetta,97 what he charges now but 4 years ago I sent him my cluster and an eBay cluster and he did it for 160. I got the cluster for 58 on ebay. At the time new clusters were 550 to 650. The dealer will want diagnostic time and an hour's labor to pair the new cluster.