2012 NMS - P0183 - Temp sensor replacement!

Shafe36

TDI
Passat NMS
Hey everyone!
A P0183 code popped up on my girlfriend's Passat, so I ordered a replacement fuel sensor a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't figure out where to put it, so I set it aside and it fell to the back of my mind.
Today, the car bogged itself down into limp mode and she had to turn around and bring it home. A couple of her family friends who have worked on diesels came by and said the particuate filter wasn't getting regenerated and it was limping home because it was about full. (Naturally, I have misplaced the fuel sensor I ordered so we were unable to replace it)
I might also note that it chewed through a gallon of adblie in about a month (that may be normal, I'm not sure. Let me know if it isn't though :p)
I have since spent $20 on a repair manual download to try and find the location of the sensor, but couldn't seem to find the location in one of the 50 different files I was given. The gentleman who stopped over suggested it'd be under the rear seat so I took that out and found what I think (?) is the fuel pump.
Does my sensor go here? I was under the impression that it plugged into the engine somewhere, but some googling hasn't turned up a whole lot of info so I can't be sure.
Thanks for the help, I know you're all rolling your eyes at me by now and I know that's justified :D)
Thanks!
- Aaron

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
How many miles on the 2012? Any Emissions "fix" applied by VW?

DPF clogging and Adblue consumption are two different things. Gallon of adblue in a month maybe high but it depends on the miles put on in those month, if it's under 1,000 miles the yeah somethings not right.

If miles on the car are north of 150K it may be the DPF, but there'd be tons of codes pointing to it, you've read codes before (for the fuel temp sensor) so I'm sure you'd have seen those.

Here's a video of the CJAA of the Gen 1, won't be 100% the same as your Gen2, but good point that it maybe a wiring issue, more than a sensor issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-82Refqjm4

Last edited:

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Is it the fuel temperature sensor? If so, that's under the hood near the mechanical fuel pump. I posted a detailed pic a while back that should help you. Check my history.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Here you go.
Sensor is the Tee in the red box.

Also may not be the sensor, on mine one of the wires broke at the connector.
I had to get it running so I cut off the connector and replaced with a 2k resistor, reads 78 deg now.

Shafe36

TDI
Passat NMS
Awesome thank you guys! Forgot to mention there is definitely a dpf code now as well. It was my understanding that the dpf isn't regenerating due to the sensor being out, so I'd hoped that's putting a new one in would let the dpf do its thing again.

Adblue I wasn't sure was related, I just noticed it was a little strange. She probably does put close to 1k a month on it though, so maybe it isn't much to worry about.

Fingers crossed that it's just the sensor and not wiring. I'll keep you guys posted in the coming days. Appreciate all the help!

Edit: provided it is wiring and not the sensor itself, are there any resources I can take a look at to get her up and running?

In answer to GLE, we're well north of 150k (nearly double.) Bought the car used from my uncle from dealership trade for cheap, but he never got around to giving me the CarFax, so I'm not sure what all work had been done to it. I do have a plethora of regular service and recall stickers in the engine bay though so I'm led to believe it was taken good care of.

We've only had it for a few months, but man do I love a turbo diesel now

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I could be wrong, but I cant imagine how a bad fuel temperature sensor would prohibit a DPF regeneration...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I could be wrong, but I cant imagine how a bad fuel temperature sensor would prohibit a DPF regeneration...

Cold fuel cracking the DPF? Just a wild guess. Cheapest solution would be the 2k resistor and see if you can now force a regen.

d2freeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Happened to be close to the stealership today so I had them look up the connector to see if they could get the pins to fix my broken wire. They don't sell the pins but they do sell the yellow wire with the pins attached on both ends, 1' piece of wire $40. I told them to put it back in the safe and I would keep running with my resistor.