Runaway TDi Any assistance is appreciated!

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Hey flee, did you manage to look at the picture? Just wondering if what you say is based on the pic :) thanks man you are very helpful :)
That photo does not open on my computer. Like I said, you can feel the scratch if it's there.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Yes, that works. I can see no damage in that particular photo.
But a photo would not show a scratch that you can feel.
The bore should be perfectly smooth everywhere but the very top ridge.
That is always rough from residue above the piston rings.
You should have your mechanic check the piston protrusion to
see if there's a bent rod while the engine is in the car, too.

Last edited:

Matty

TDI
Mk4 1.9 Golf
If you look on the edges the black that looks like shadow is actually like worn down, yea I'm contemplating taking off the oil pan and taking out the pistons myself the weekend since it doesn't turn at all at the moment..will let you all know what I find by feeling tomorrow, I work shifts so a weekend is a blessing :)

Matty

TDI
Mk4 1.9 Golf
I've come to realise that you are referring to the block that doesn't look damaged, okay so if that is the case then I would only need to change the pistons and conrods?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Realizing conditions are different around the world, if you were here, you'd be better off with a donor car/engine. But it may be more efficient to repair where you're at.

Matty

TDI
Mk4 1.9 Golf
You are probably right with it being cheaper/easier to replace the engine but it's hard to find an ahf most have been reconditioned and in that case it's the same as what my engine will be after some work I assume.. but I would have to go through police clearance and change it at the traffic department etc, seems like a bit of a mission and hopefully I won't have a worst case scenario with my engine..time will tell

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I've come to realise that you are referring to the block that doesn't look damaged, okay so if that is the case then I would only need to change the pistons and conrods?
I was hoping that was some oil or crud on the edge of the piston.
That one is toast. Whatever did that probably didn't stop there, either.
Yes, you are probably looking at a rebuild or finding a used engine.
TDI's don't get rebuilt as often as most other engines, though.
Don't pre-judge a used engine until you find one and look it over closely.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
TDI's don't get rebuilt as often as most other engines, though.
Don't pre-judge a used engine until you find one and look it over closely.
True, but they're also hell for stout. I wouldn't hesitate on one from a crashed car.

Matty

TDI
Mk4 1.9 Golf
I'm going to pay for the quote the. I guess see what I'm in store for will have to sell my PC and my soul and maybe stand on the corner for a bit :) hell for stout? Please elaborate in South Africa that means hell for naughty :/

Matty

TDI
Mk4 1.9 Golf
Ok so I assume you mean strong? If so that's what I've heard plentiful so I'm hoping for the best being that the block is in good condition but that is wishful thinking, I'll just see what they have to say though hopefully I don't have to lose my kidney

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Meaning they're very rugid. Diesel engines are machined to higher tolerances, tighter fit if you will. Has the added advantage that they run longer.
Cars are expensive, just walk or ride a bike for a while, you'll be happy to part with the Krugerrand or whatever it's called.
As you start in on the rebuild continue looking for one at the wrecker. Here we also have auctions as a source.

Matty

TDI
Mk4 1.9 Golf
Hahahahah Krugerrand :S Nah those are scarce, we use the rand, which looses value every time our president speaks :D basically to rebuild complete will be 4 months salary, I can walk for now but I've gotten used to driving everywhere... And where will all this extra weight go?? But I do love my golf so I feel like it's worth it if the car is going to be 100% at the end of the day.

Matty

TDI
Mk4 1.9 Golf
Okay so 55000 for rebuild apparently everything is screwed which I find hard to believe but okay so I am just getting an import will 80000ks on it for 14000 and fitting it for 5k much cheaper anyone know what coding would be required?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Keep and re-use the hardware that is connected to the ECU now.
The IP should connect as long as you find the same model.
You are replacing the block and head. Right?
If it's a runner now and comes complete, don't touch the TB and you'll be OK at least for testing it,
but replace the belt while the engine's still out if you're smart!
Otherwise if it's just the longblock, you will be replacing the TB, etc.

Last edited:

Matty

TDI
Mk4 1.9 Golf
Just to sum up, conrod is bent, but the place I took it to has basically said everything is stuffed, I can't imagine how.. they want me to change all 4 conrods, all pistons, new oil pump, new injectors, main bearings, radiator, diesel pump etc etc, all this will cost more than the car is worth lol so I am just buying a low mileage import engine and fitting that..so a few seconds be it two or three of runaway can damage a high milage engine, in hindsight I would have saved money and time just replacing the engine one shot but I atleast have a better understanding of my car so thanks everyone

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Oil-fed runaways on diesels frequently bend a rod due to hydrolock; it's not the runaway per-se that does it, it's that liquid doesn't compress and when two things try to occupy the same space at the same time bad things happen.