TDI Tiguan

PG 05 GLI

TDI
AHU swapped Caddy
I'm on a fact seeking mission.

My wife currently drives a 2013 2.0T DSG Aisin 4-motion Tiguan with 73K miles. We've been looking to replace my 04.5 GLI (190K+) with something else which means I'd get the Tiguan and she'd get a different car. It's a decent vehicle and works for what we use it for, I'd just like better mileage out of it.

Hence the question, how difficult is it to swap a TDI into a Tiguan and have it function as it came from the factory that way?

There are two engine options available (CJAA and CBEA) that are local to me. CJAA complete engine side wiring, alternator, turbocharger but does not have DPF. CBEA has turbocharger DPF, EGR intake & entire motor side harnessing ECU.

Which one would work better (ie easier swap)

Can the DSG Aisin trans computer be flashed to have TDI shift points? Will the 2.0T DSG aisin survive with a TDI? I've been looking and can't find the gear ratios for the Tiguan to compare to what a TDI has.

Intercooler plumbing - no idea on that. Have to see what the difference is in the TDI vs 2.0T

Exhaust will have to be custom built or from a place that has this car unless someone knows of a downpipe that will fit.

Will the TDI engine work with the existing fuel tank (assuming it's filled with diesel)?

How does the engine side wiring plug into the chassis? I'm not familiar with newer cars, last thing I swapped had CE2 wiring. Hard to mess up with color coded plugs that only fit one spot on the fuse block.

I live in a state with no emissions testing/inspections so I don't have to worry about that.

I'm sure there are a million other things I'm missing, just had to start somewhere asking questions.

Said car with snow tires.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'm on a fact seeking mission.

My wife currently drives a 2013 2.0T DSG 4-motion Tiguan with 73K miles.

No she doesn't. Tiggy doesn't get a DSG, it gets the Aisin 09M 6sp automatic. ;)

Since VAG makes TDI Tigs, in fact MOST of them in Europe probably are, it would be a matter of sourcing whatever parts necessary to make one work.

The Tiguan is essentially just an A5 chassis that has been "jacked up", so much of the parts already exist just a matter of getting them. VAG never bolted any 4cyl TDIs to the Aisin in this market, and I have no idea what they used with them in Europe (most are probably manuals anyways). There are gas 4cyl DSG + 4mo/Haldex drivelines here, though. The Audi A3 uses them. I don't know for sure but I think the CATA engine (the newer chain drive conglomeration) in the Tig still uses the same bolt pattern as the belt driven engines, including the TDIs. Although the Aisin could probably stand up to the TDI (they bolt them to VR6s), it may not be easy to make the two controllers talk to one another properly.

Last edited:

PG 05 GLI

TDI
AHU swapped Caddy
Thanks for the info on the transmission.

Probably not worth the effort/time/money then to source all the parts and import them. Wasn't what I was hoping to hear.

I was in Norway last fall and there were TDI Tiguan's all over the place which is what started this whole idea.

Oh well, maybe another time.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I think that the electronic communications between all parts of cars these days are going to pretty much rule out the engine swapping at a cpst any of us can afford.
Back in the day it was shoehorn it in and hook up the gas, but alas, no more.

By the way I want a TDI Tiguan too!