2013 Passat 6m shuddering when cold .

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
For the last couple of days when my 2013 Passat 6m is cold and up until the temp reaches 30deg, when i go to drive away the engine shudders like its going to stall , depress the clutch and try and take off again it seems fine .

Car has about 42,000km on it .

Bringing it to dealer on Friday and hopefully they will find something .

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this issue .

Rob

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Keep us updated. My 13 6M is in for service as we speak getting the 3rd gear stumble/shutter looked at. I'm sure that I will see "Could not reproduce symptom" on paperwork soon. Oh well, at least it's documented.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
If you're describing a slight shudder (maybe what feels like a total lack of power for an instant) and likely followed shortly by a somewhat less noticeable hesitation, I believe I have your answer.

What you're feeling is the rapid warmup cycle used to bring the exhaust components up to operating temp. This process involves inducing back-pressure on the exhaust side and is somewhat suspected of causing turbo issues on some cars.

It would appear that the MT vs the DSG is more susceptible to this "hesitation" than the DSG as the ECU is out of the loop on a manual car in this situation.

So... Two distinct "bumps" as you start out with a cold engine. Unsettling until you understand what's happening and that it's not abnormal.

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
If you're describing a slight shudder (maybe what feels like a total lack of power for an instant) and likely followed shortly by a somewhat less noticeable hesitation, I believe I have your answer.

What you're feeling is the rapid warmup cycle used to bring the exhaust components up to operating temp. This process involves inducing back-pressure on the exhaust side and is somewhat suspected of causing turbo issues on some cars.

It would appear that the MT vs the DSG is more susceptible to this "hesitation" than the DSG as the ECU is out of the loop on a manual car in this situation.

So... Two distinct "bumps" as you start out with a cold engine. Unsettling until you understand what's happening and that it's not abnormal.

Thank you and that makes sense .

Brought it to the dealer on Friday and of course the car war still hot and i would have had to leave it for the day which was hard to do .

They didn't see anything and since then i have not had the issue .

coowhip

TDI
N/A
Drop it off later at night and have them check it first thing in the morning. About the only option you have.

tyrntlzrdking

Banned
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Keep us updated. My 13 6M is in for service as we speak getting the 3rd gear stumble/shutter looked at. I'm sure that I will see "Could not reproduce symptom" on paperwork soon. Oh well, at least it's documented.
My 13 6M has the 3rd gear stumble/stutter.
Kind of embarrassing pulling out of subdivision with car doing this.
Lucky I can coast down the hill in 4th to the main road.

Keep us informed.
I am sure VW will say it is not happening or is normal.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
My 13 6M has the 3rd gear stumble/stutter.
Kind of embarrassing pulling out of subdivision with car doing this.
Lucky I can coast down the hill in 4th to the main road.

Keep us informed.
I am sure VW will say it is not happening or is normal.
It sounds like yours is worse than mine, mine is almost un noticable, unless you are paying attention.

VW did not say that it was normal, they DID say that they couldn't reproduce it, as I suspected. The tech asked if I could reproduce it and I told him that of course I could, it happens every day within 1/2 mile of my office when I leave in the PM. 3rd gear, 12-1400 RPM on a steady flat surface.

Oh well.

ChiTownJimbo

TDI
2012 Passat SE TDI
No resolution to this? My 2012 Passat is doing the very same. Its fine after it warms up but shudders badly and throwing P1007 code (torque difference cylinder 4) when cold for the first 1/4-1/2 mile or so. 'Pending code' via OBD, no CEL.

It shudders badly enough that Im concerned about pulling out and accelerating adequately on the high speed country roads where I live.