www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 18th, 2019, 17:03   #16
midairmark
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55-60 MPG-6 speed

OK, i'll leave it alone until the next oil change.
midairmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 06:42   #17
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Yeah, forget the slick50. You could get a quart of mobil1 15w50 for topping up though. That would thicken up the 5w30 and add some zinc. It's a tough engine, just keep it full of oil and you'll probably be fine.
NO, just no. Mixing oil does not do that. Adding zink probably wont do anything either, just waste money.

I would say that instead of our typical 10,000 mile oil changes, i would not wait past 7500 on this, just to be safe, reality is that you will probably warp a head, drop a valve, slip a timing belt, runaway diesel, LONG before you ever have to consider the damage done by too long an oil change interval or using the wrong oil.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 08:24   #18
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
NO, just no. Mixing oil does not do that. Adding zink probably wont do anything either, just waste money.
Huh? So you're saying that adding a heavier oil to a lighter oil won't change the viscosity? Stay in school kids.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 08:25   #19
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

The problem I have is that the oil the OP used is NOT DIESEL RATED. Viscosity and zinc is only part of it. The oil does not have the correct additives to handle soot load and the soot will turn abrasive inside the engine.

Will the engine blow up tomorrow? Doubt it. Would it be a good idea to run it 10K miles? Hell no. If you want to try and get some use out of it, I would run it 5K MAX.

If you read the bottle is is very clearly not rated for the ALH engine or any diesel engine.
Old January 19th, 2019, 08:32   #20
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon

Fuel Economy: Great!

Where's Bob Fout when you need him?
Old January 19th, 2019, 08:51   #21
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
The problem I have is that the oil the OP used is NOT DIESEL RATED. Viscosity and zinc is only part of it. The oil does not have the correct additives to handle soot load and the soot will turn abrasive inside the engine.

Will the engine blow up tomorrow? Doubt it. Would it be a good idea to run it 10K miles? Hell no. If you want to try and get some use out of it, I would run it 5K MAX.

If you read the bottle is is very clearly not rated for the ALH engine or any diesel engine.
There are 6 or more formulations of Mobil1 5w30. One has 507 and mb 229.51 diesel ratings. None have API diesel ratings(though mobil claims they are all of CF quality), but I believe most or all of them have ACEA ratings for light diesels. A5/B5 etc. I'd run it out to 5-7k miles without worry if it were my car. Hate to waste good oil.

Last edited by turbobrick240; January 19th, 2019 at 09:00.
Old January 19th, 2019, 09:58   #22
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

I take issue with the 507 rating, to me that is like the Mercedes or BMW numbers - An internal specification from the manufacturer who is interested in things that maybe I as an owner are not rating as important as other things.

For example, the 507 VW spec is for the 2010-2014 common rail diesels with DPF. They selected an oil that would (hopefully) increase the fuel economy by being thinner than a 40-weight, and also work to protect the DPF by not providing excess ash-production compounds that might fill it up faster (meaning inside the warranty period).

VW (and every other manufacturer) doesn't care if the car COULD last 300k/400k/more miles... They care that it lasts the warranty period, AND that within that period and the government-mandated emissions warranty period, that the engine stays within the acceptable parameters for emissions. ONCE THAT IS EXPIRED... If the emissions can't be maintained within a statistical range close to the accepted limits... The government and the manufacturer would be happier if that car was then replaced.

The government happy that it is replaced b/c newer cars would make less emissions, the manufacturer b/c they get to sell you another car.

THEY DO NOT CARE TO SELECT OILS BASED ON ULTIMATE LIFESPAN OF THE ENGINE.

I trust the API ratings that are based on usage in the USA with the fuel available here (which is NOT to the same quality as in Europe where the ACEA rates similar to the API) and the API rating suggests that if you care about your DPF, use a CK or CK-4 rated oil. Diesels need more protective oil film strength, I am (of course) a fan of the 5w-40 diesel rated products like Turbo Diesel Truck or T6 or Delvac 1 or Delvac ESP.

My CJAA powered JSW also seems to be a fan. I'd change out that wrong oil now, use it in your lawn mower or something else. Oil is cheap. Engines are not.
Old January 19th, 2019, 10:58   #23
AndyBees
Veteran Member

The oil is not going to hurt the engine.... As I previously stated, I used 5w-30 (or was it 5w-40) gasser rated full synthetic in my 2000 Jetta at least two oil changes and maybe three in it's early days. The engine is just fine over 300k miles later at 371k. And, I bet it has no more sludge (if any) inside than any other engine that has had the correct oil used in it for the same distance/time.
Old January 19th, 2019, 11:15   #24
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

These oil threads are always like an OCD-o-meter. I'm just waiting for someone to post saying only castrol oil sourced from a VW dealership is acceptable .
Old January 19th, 2019, 12:19   #25
AndyBees
Veteran Member

I agree Turbobrick240.... (just going to monitor after this post....)

And, since you mentioned it, the gasser rated oil I used was Castrol from Wally World ....

Other than the need to protect the Turbo shaft from Coking, which I believe all the full synthetics meet that spec, the modern day oils for gassers have to be eons ahead of oils rated for diesel engines 50 years ago.
Old January 19th, 2019, 12:24   #26
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

Oil discussions are ALWAYS the same as talking about politics over Thanksgiving dinner.

Ask 5 people their thoughts on oil, you will get 7 different opinions.
Old January 19th, 2019, 13:22   #27
KLXD
Veteran Member

Never heard that S oil would cause the soot to become abrasive. How does that work?

My understanding is that C oils hold the carbon in suspension so it can be removed rather than letting it settle out.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 13:46   #28
Geordi
Veteran Member

It is more a function of the ability to hold the soot particles and encapsulate them, thus continuing to provide an oil film between moving parts and anything that might be abrasive to them.

This is also important with shear strength, such that the oil doesn't become too thinned out and shear off the parts (loss of film strength) leaving metal actually contacting metal as the parts move past each other.

The filters in an engine are so wide to allow sufficient flow... That they are capable of catching bolts flying through the oil and not much more. High flow standard filtration catches "big stuff" north of 20 microns in size, but are just about worthless at catching anything smaller. If they filtered that small to catch the soot, the flow restriction would mean the engine wasn't being lubed or cooled as needed and that filter would quickly be catching bits of bearing journal and piston parts.

So the soot which is far below even 5 micron in size - but far more numerous in quantity - needs to be held in suspension to protect the engine. Diesel rated oils have stronger film strength and suspension capabilities for exactly this reason.
Old January 19th, 2019, 14:29   #29
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
I believe all the full synthetics meet that spec, the modern day oils for gassers have to be eons ahead of oils rated for diesel engines 50 years ago.
I agree with the gist of what you're assuming here, but with the caveat that diesel engines and emissions standards/equipment today aren't even close enough to be called distant cousins to what they were 50 years ago.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 16:39   #30
KLXD
Veteran Member

Geordi, he said it "turns abrasive". I was looking for his explanation of that.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote