Wolfsburg Factory Tour

63Ragtop

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 NB GLS, Auto, Red, Black Leather
Great article. Brought back some memories. I toured the Wolfsburg plant way back in '71 during my Army days. Saw the air-cooled Beetle assembly line (my red '64 was waiting at home). Still have the orange plastic 'Besucher' (visitor) badge. They had these nifty ashtrays all over. Made in-house out of VW parts. Heavy base and stand topped with an upside-down chrome Beetle hubcap!

jxpfeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta GLS, lux
wow! that was a cool article! As soon as they build the trans-atlantic bridge, i'll drive over there!

SchnellTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, Red
I was just at the Wolfsburg plant this past August, and toured it. I have been through it 3 times before, and this time was the most disappointing, as the tour is shortened, and you are wisked through too quickly. In past tours, you would walk part of it and ride for the other part, along with an interesting movie about VW and production. I understand that you can pay now for a longer tour, or schedule group tours which are also longer. Last Year, I toured the Passat plant in Emden....it was much better....you were able to get much closer, and watch things longer - it was a walking tour. I also have toured the Audi plant at Ingolstadt, and it also was quite impressive, but that was in 1992, so I don't know what has changed since. The tour on Votex was pretty good!!!

Michael