SF Bay Area Thread

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
but tha's a nice premium he is charging as well! Just wait for 2007 when they will eb available again in CA.

MattBissell

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG 4D Shark Blue
Anyone know if Drivbiwire(Pete) will be doing any TB's in the area anytime in the next few months. I don't need a change but need to check tension at 20K and wanted to get together with a few TDI'ers.

Matt B.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
You could email or pm DBW to see. Last I heard, he was busy doing work overseas. You might also contact Steve Ahl and see. Steve usually has Pete do the timing belts for the cars he resells.

BogdansTDI

TDI
Bora, 2003, Tornado Red
SJ, California Also in need of a TB change soon - INTERESTED

MattBissell said:
Anyone know if Drivbiwire(Pete) will be doing any TB's in the area anytime in the next few months. I don't need a change but need to check tension at 20K and wanted to get together with a few TDI'ers.

Matt B.
Hey MattBissel,
I also need a TB change on a 2003 Bora/Jetta. The sooner then better. If anyone else is interested please post so Pete can come for a few of us, make his come worth it!!! thanks!:)

DaveC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, 5 spd, Mohave beige, 2015 Golf TDI red!
I am also in need of a TB change soon. If Drivbiwire (Pete) has something planned, please let me know. The more of us that need his services, the more motivation he has to come down to N. Calif. for a visit.

Ian46

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG Premium with NAV
Timing belt

I am also in need of a timing belt change asap. Im at 80700 and would prefer to change it at a GTG. A couple more people and maybe we could plan a timing belt change GTG.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I may make a suggestion to the four folks who need a timing belt change: Pete (DBW) may not see this thread so one of you might want to contact him via PM here and see if he's available in the upcoming weeks, or months. He's in Idaho now so it's a drive for him and the winter weather won't make his drive easy. He will need a place to operate out of while he's here so someone will have to find a location to do these belt changes, like a shop who's willing to host or someone's house with a lot of space. Pete uses power tools so he'll need a power source of some sort. A place for him to stay while he's in town would be nice for him as well. Someone may want to contact Steve Ahl in Ukiah and see if he's interested in hosting. Steve may have some cars he might want Pete to work on so that would create further incentive for Pete to drive down. The more people who express interest in having Pete do a timing belt change for them, the more likely Pete might make the drive.

As a last resort if folks really want one of the gurus to do the work, someone could contact Oldpoopie since Justin is in the process of moving to the PNW. He might be willing to drive down this way to do some belt changes as well.

If no one takes the lead and just sits back waiting for something to happen, rest assured that nothing will happen.

Just my .02 cents...

Last edited:

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
Just 6 months ago Pete drove to my house in West Sacramento for a timing belt GTG. He completed 5 or 6 belt changes that day.

In addition to all his flights, I believe he also has a newborn.

DaveC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, 5 spd, Mohave beige, 2015 Golf TDI red!
No TB changes by Pete in N. Calif.

I sent a PM to Drivbiwire(Pete) and he replied, saying that he has no plans to travel to N California in the near future.
Looks like we will have to find someone else to change the TB's or go to a shop or the dealer.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Just bought my '98 Jetta TDI today. Looks like it's about due for a TB so add me to the list. Looking for recommendations for a trusted TDI mechanic in the East Bay or SF area. Any recommendations?

TIA

-TDI Tom

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey
Welcome!I have always had a good experience a Freds Garage in Redwood city. I have yet to take my TDI to them but when the time comes that will be the only place I go.They have serviced all my other VW's. They have been in buisness for more than 25 years. I'm sure if you called them they would give you a price over the phone.

MattBissell

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG 4D Shark Blue
I need help diagnosing intermittant low power in my B4, have replaced all vacuum/pressure lines to the N75, replaced the N75, air cleaner is okay, IC piping has been checked very thoroughly. Can someone with a Vag-Com scan the codes for me? Anyone near San Jose would be great.

Thanks,
Matt B.

trafly

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Help in the Bay area

Help! I'm in Berkeley and my 2003 jetta wagon's MIL light just came on. A couple of club members have suggested it is glow plug related. i don't have a vag com to check (am in the process of buying one.) Is anyone local to me with a vag com so I can figure out what this is? Also, do people think that I can drive the car, with reasonable assuredness that I will not damage the car? At least for a little while. Note: In the short city driving I've done I've noticed no change.
Thanks,
Tim

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
Tim, Still planning to get the VAG-COM? Sorry I can't be of much help on your problem as I am new to owning a TDI. If you are serious about getting a VAG-COM send me a PM. I'd like to chat. Thanx TDI Tom

Rest of the N. Cali folk in need of a TB change. How many of you still need to do this? Can set up a GTG with someone? I'm in the Bay Area and I have family in SAC so any place between here and there works for me. I'm planning to have mine done in the next few weeks most likely after Valentines and before the March GTG in San Pablo.

GasO

Hey,

I'll need a TB change soon as well. Who are the other TB gurus that live in the Bay area?

GasO

DiscGolfTDi

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I, too, need a TB change and am incapable of performing the work myself. I'm definitely willing to travel to Sacramento for a GTG. One way or another, I will have mine done in the next few weeks, likely taking my TDI to a shop in Sac if the GTG doesn't happen.

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
DiscGolf, have you found a good shop in Sac?

GasO, Where in Bay are you?

I'm working on figuring out who is the best in the area. So far I hear great things about Tomas Sport in San Pablo. I plan to pay them a visit very soon. In fact I drove down Broadway yesterday evening but it was too late to be of any use. It looks like the shop is located in a building I used to play paintball in years ago but they have a locked gate so I could not tell for sure.

I had a great experience with an oil change at European Auto on High in Alameda. Seemed knowledgeable and reasonable.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Folks, there's no reason to reinvent the wheel. It's been posted many times on the original chit chat thread and in the regular forums as well about which shops we can trust for any TDI related issues, including timing belt changes. We are not so lucky in the bay area in that there are no local TDIClub gurus who change timing belts on a regular basis, a la DBW or Oldpoopie. Many have driven to see DBW in Idaho to have him change their timing belt or to Harv down in Fullerton. DBW used to come up to the bay area on a regular basis but now that he's in Idaho and has other priorities, his timing belt GTGs here are on hold.

There are, and continues to be, two shops that many, many members, including myself have gone to and trust. They are Tomas Sport in the east bay and Bugformance in San Jose. Both shops have the know how to do the timing belt change correctly, as well as anything else, including installing FMICs, VNT 17 turbos, and whatever else. Don't waste your time with other shops, since their TDI know how is unknown, at least with those of us here. Or as mentioned, one can drive down to Fullerton and have Harv do your belt.

Good luck.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Are there a lot of TDIs in the Bay Area? I have a friend who may be moving out there in the near future to take a job in SF and he's going to be checking out the surrounding suburbs.

He owns a couple of TDIs (a 98 and an 03). Does it make sense to bring the cars with him? I know that there are some issues with bringing in out of state cars.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Danix: There are tons of TDIs in the bay area, and the group here is very active. We have GTGs on a fairly regular basis, and meet for lunch GTGs now and then. Despite all the rumours, there are NO issues with bringing in ANY pre 2004 TDIs. They are 50 state legal so there are absolutely no issues at all. There is also no yearly smog tests for TDIs. So tell your friend to just bring his cars along with him. There are no issues as well if your friend brings in a 2004 or newer car since he has a residence out of state and is moving here. He can bring any TDI in, since he's the original owner, without regard to mileage.

Tell your friend to post here and we'll perhaps try to time a GTG at that time to welcome him!

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Gracias, I also sent you an email.

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
dlai, thanks for the info although I feel like someone just rained on our parade. I always thought forums were a place where people met others and exchanged information. Some people are just not as search or forum savy as others.

As you can see these are all posts by newbies. Even if the subject has been covered at lenth what can it hurt for a few new folks to exchange some information.

As to the established shops that's an interesting perspective. Had I not discovered this forum I might never have known about Tomas Sport Tuning. However I don't feel like I would have been a fish out of water, at least not yet.

There are numerous VW specialty and German car specialty shops in the East Bay and all around the Bay Area. I can list a half dozen off the top of my head.

Tomas Sport Tuning may be outstanding and they may have taken excellent care of several members however they are not inexpensive. I called them to get some prices and althouth they are very willing to work with parts you supply the prices are not that far below the dealer.

Griffin Motor Works in Berkeley has a VW parts store and a service department that has been around for a very long time. Although I have never had my car worked on by them, they have an excellent reputation.

I discovered a shop in Alameda that specializes in VW, Audi, MBZ, and Volvo. For those multi brand diesel households they could be a one stop shop. The name of the shop is European Auto Repair Service. I will be meeting with them on Tuesday to discuss the details of what they can do for my car. I will post at a later date about how that turns out.

I will continue to post my experiences. Perhaps I am reinventing the wheel, perhaps I am taking risks that will cost me, perhaps I'm blazing new territory that others can benefit from as time goes on.

Incidently if you own an MBZ one of the best places in the world for both wholesale parts shipped or sold over the counter as well as service is in Oakland. If anyone needs the name I can drive by or look it up. I once was the caretaker of a 1964 MBZ that had considerable work done and many hundreds of dollars saved at the place I am referring to.

So thank you for doing your raindance as me and my kids now have lots of time to spend inside where they can play X-Box and I can browse forums! I wondered what happened to that unseasonably hot weather we were having.....

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NFS: No raining on anyone's parade here. I'm just trying to save folks time since all this has been trial and error by many, many folks here over the years. The last thing I want is for folks to try a shop no one here is familiar with and have that shop mess up the timing belt change. I get tired of reading all the new threads in the main forums from newbies who venture out, try a new shop, and report back that their car is toast. There have been none in the bay area as far as I know and I'm just trying to steer folks in the right direction. Anyone who knows me is aware that I'm just trying to help. If I can point a new owner in the right direction and save them some time rather than hunting down that elusive TDI friendly shop, then I'm happy. I am not trying to stop any open conversations, so you must be misreading me and my intentions. In fact, I welcome any new owners, the more the better. TDI owners are a special group! That's why there's the CA owners list I started so we can use that list for future GTGs. I have been openly answering many PMs and emails helping folks out, Trafly being one of them. Mackwood is one of our trusted members and I'm sure the shop info he posted is another quality shop we can add to our list.

Through the years, members like Peter Pyce, Norman, Mackwood, myself, and others have tried the services of many, many shops in the bay area. Many of us have more than one VW and by trial and error, have narrowed down the list to the shops we know that have the know how to do a TDI timing belt correctly. That's how we know that if you bring your car to Tomas or Bugformance they will do the job right. Griffin I'm very familiar with. With the demise of New Dimensions, they are the oldest VW performance shop in the bay area. But, they have not been very active in the TDI community. They are more interested in the gasser 1.8t crowd. That's where their reputation is known. Two years ago, we had a dyno day for the local TDI group. One of the co-owners of the shop sells performance hoses and blow off valves to Griffin, so I know quite a bit about Griffin. Through him and other contacts in the industry, as well as through my experiences with my many show and modified cars, I know what shops in the bay area do the quality work our cars need and demand.

So, no raindance or cloud seeding here, and again, I am trying to help out folks with what I know and what we have learned here through the years. I don't understand your reaction to my post since I posted nothing unfriendly or rude...:confused:

Last edited:

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
dlai said:
With the demise of New Dimensions, they are the oldest VW performance shop in the bay area
What happened to ND? I've seen turbotim posting stuff for sale on vortex but I didn't realize they went belly up.

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
OK, I'll take my tongue out of my cheek now. I thought you might catch the humor in my less than subtle references.

Perhaps I owe you an apology. I have a bad taste in my mouth from experiences in numerous other forums. I often notice veteran members not helping new members until after they have torn through hours of old posts. One forum in particular I became one of the veterans known for posting the same info over and over anytime anyone asked just to be helpful. I generally put in new info or newly aquired info so it really was useful even to those who had seen previous posts. Unfortunately for many of the current members most of my best posts got lost during a complete board overhaul.

Thank you for the time saving assistance!

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm good friends with Tim. He still has lots of parts from his New Dimensions days and is the US distributor for a european exhaust company. 3 years ago he sold the shop to a husband and wife team. Tim sold the shop to tend to his wife who has cancer. The new owner, Tony, ran the shop differently, and the shop ran into heavy debt. They owed vendors like Neuspeed, APR, and others tons of money and fell behind in payments. Tony then had to cut back on their service operations, the bread and butter of their shop. It got so bad that they could not pay their employees and did an IOU thing. Well, no one likes to work for free, so many of the great techs there left and started their own places. In the end, the debt caught up with the shop, and it closed down late last year. As a result, the best VW auto show on the west coast, the ND show, is no more. But there are two great auto shops that grew out of that shop. Streetwerke in Palo Alto is one shop, which is owned by Jason, their former Manager. There are two ND techs there that are great, but they specialize in gasser stuff, like a turbo R32 they're working on. However, those are the guys who did the Up Stage 3 kit install I had on my Jetta, so they know their TDI stuff. The other is Autowerkstat in San Jose owned by Chris, who used to be the lead service tech at ND. Chris is awesome! He's a one man shop and knows his TDIs too. Great guy and that shop is highly recommended. Tim is doing some consulting on his own and is still active in the VW community. For folks who don't know, New Dimensions was one of the very first VW Tuner shops in the US. They had lots of cars featured in such magazines as Turbo Mag, European Car, Sport and Compact Car and others. I enlisted the help of New Dimensions and Tim to help build one of my show cars, a Callaway Turbocharged Golf. That car was in Turbo Mag, European Car, and the cover car of VW Tuner. Here's a pic of my car:

Last edited: