If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

lance2214

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
Vw Dealership making deals on Passat

My wife wants a 2017 Passat. I'm recommending at least a SE w/Technology package. The cheapest I've seen it is $23,500 with the ($1,000 loyalty incentive already accounted for). Has anyone else seen a dealership making deals on the Passat? I'm in San Diego, but don't mind driving.

Thanks!

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
I also purchased a super clean 2014 Jeep with Ecodiesel.. Mine is a buyback that comes with a
1-year, unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty, I figure if its gonna break, it will by then.. Im crossing my fingers and hoping it will be reliable.. I drive alot, so not too worried about the Emissions issues they had.. It has been upgraded with the new cat converter and new software.. I am more concerned about the engine... BTW, It is awesome to drive.. 32 MPG's and it's a 4x4 !!

wOOt!! That's impressive mpg

I can't tell you how pleased I am with the motor in the JGC! I looked into the emissions issues too and am not concerned at all. It looked like teething issues if you ask me...software update fixed most and if you had already trashed your cat then they give you an updated replacement. You really can't lose.

I got a 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty through USAA just in case. My biggest concern is that something happens while I'm not around and the wife can't figure out what to do. That's just a what if...I'm completely confident in the drive train.

I'm hoping to install the GDE Hot tune as soon as possible. I don't want the EGR gunking up my new motor. The tune doens't require removal of any emissions items but it does tune out the EGR. People are passing state emissions tests and since you don't have to remove the EGR you'll certainly pass visual inspection.

http://www.greendieselengineering.com/SelectProd.action?prodId=38&manufacturer=Green+Diesel+Engineering&category=Grand+Cherokee&name=Grand+Cherokee+EcoDiesel+%28WK2%29+Hot+Tune+&model=+

I really like what this guy has done...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/white-rhino-2014-ecodiesel-35-s-air-springs-3728921/

Last edited:

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
My wife wants a 2017 Passat. I'm recommending at least a SE w/Technology package. The cheapest I've seen it is $23,500 with the ($1,000 loyalty incentive already accounted for). Has anyone else seen a dealership making deals on the Passat? I'm in San Diego, but don't mind driving.
When we bought our Passat SE two years ago, VW had a total of $6k in incentives. $2k of that may have been directed towards TDIs. Seems like they were trotting out the deals for President's day, maybe, though we bought on Valentine's day. Been looking for the window sticker to say for sure how much below sticker we were, but I found some archived text messages with the wife that agree w/ my recollection.

Don Splaun

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
My son owns a CT200 and loves it. 38 MPG in town and no issues so far. His is a 2012 with 78,000 miles on it now. Look at the F version on the new ones. His friend just bought a fully loaded 2016 CPO with 15,000 miles on it for $25,000. 10K oil changes. All of the filters are the same as a Prius. Air filter at a Toyota dealer$18. Same filter at Lexus $30. Very easy to service.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
It's essentially a nicer version of the European-market Auris Hybrid. (We get the non-hybrid version of the Auris as the Scion iM, or now, the Corolla iM.)

Same powertrain as a Gen 3 Prius, same platform as the Gen 3 Prius or the current Corolla sedan, 100 mm shorter wheelbase than both, independent rear suspension instead of the torsion beam that the Gen 3 Prius and Corolla sedan share.

I've not driven one, though.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If anyone is looking to purchase Chrysler, Fiat and Jeep vehicles if you go to the websites and request brochures and updates on vehicles they randomly send out bonus dollars, $500 or $1,000 off a new vehicle. In the Wrangler forum we call them "golden tickets" like Willy Wonka because they are random and not everyone gets them. I signed up for a brochure the week before I ordered my Wrangler and signed up for updates the week after and low and behold myself along with 5 others in the Wrangler forum received $500 off new vehicle coupons! I can't believe I got one! :D They are good for 2 months. That being said...

I could have placed odds in Vegas, I knew this would happen. Having the GM card we had $235 earned off a new purchase. Back in Oct they gave us an extra $2,000 and of course the buybacks hadn't started. I told my husband, when we were purchasing his Silverado in Dec, I betcha anything we'll get extra bonus dollars after the purchase. And what came in the mail last Tuesday, $3,000 off a new vehicle! I was fuming, I knew it! So I went in and nicely called the 800 number for the GM card and it was in the time frame, all they had to do was call the dealer, confirm and we are being reimbursed!

So don't be afraid to ask if coupon or bonus dollars still count if you bought prior or after expiration, you may still qualify. I almost didn't make the call and figured the worst they could say was no.
Thanks for sharing. I've used my GM points in the past but that was before I worked for a preferred supplier. Now the points just don't add up fast enough.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

Thanks!
Suggestion

Dial into CARS.COM

Set the mileage to your personal choice of driving

It will come up with highest prices first

Hit lowest prices first.

Make your deal via phone ~~ then confirm via Email

Be polite, but do not be assamed to admit you are shopping other dealers

If it were me I would have the car delivered to my drive way ~~ we did that 2 times in the last 21 months. No problems

That included my 2015 Gold TDi and my wife's 2015 RAV4 LIMITED.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
My son owns a CT200 and loves it. 38 MPG in town and no issues so far. His is a 2012 with 78,000 miles on it now. Look at the F version on the new ones. His friend just bought a fully loaded 2016 CPO with 15,000 miles on it for $25,000. 10K oil changes. All of the filters are the same as a Prius. Air filter at a Toyota dealer$18. Same filter at Lexus $30. Very easy to service.
It's essentially a nicer version of the European-market Auris Hybrid. (We get the non-hybrid version of the Auris as the Scion iM, or now, the Corolla iM.)

Same powertrain as a Gen 3 Prius, same platform as the Gen 3 Prius or the current Corolla sedan, 100 mm shorter wheelbase than both, independent rear suspension instead of the torsion beam that the Gen 3 Prius and Corolla sedan share.

I've not driven one, though.

Thanks for the replies. I test drove one yesterday, but not on the highway (which supposedly is it's downfall). It seemed nice (familiar interior - wife drives an RX450h). Felt ok around town, handling-wise and pickup from a stop.

GearHd6

TDI
2014 Jetta Premium 6 Speed

Thanks!
We briefly looked at the Passat R-Line and that seemed pretty nicely equipped. We were getting OTD prices of $21k with sales tax included.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
Subaru has a some what similar program for a $500 same as cash coupon that they share with some owners for the purpose of sharing with others interested in getting in a Subaru.

I own a 2002 Impreza, let me know if you need a coupon.

If anyone is looking to purchase Chrysler, Fiat and Jeep vehicles if you go to the websites and request brochures and updates on vehicles they randomly send out bonus dollars, $500 or $1,000 off a new vehicle. In the Wrangler forum we call them "golden tickets" like Willy Wonka because they are random and not everyone gets them. I signed up for a brochure the week before I ordered my Wrangler and signed up for updates the week after and low and behold myself along with 5 others in the Wrangler forum received $500 off new vehicle coupons! I can't believe I got one! :D They are good for 2 months. That being said...
I could have placed odds in Vegas, I knew this would happen. Having the GM card we had $235 earned off a new purchase. Back in Oct they gave us an extra $2,000 and of course the buybacks hadn't started. I told my husband, when we were purchasing his Silverado in Dec, I betcha anything we'll get extra bonus dollars after the purchase. And what came in the mail last Tuesday, $3,000 off a new vehicle! I was fuming, I knew it! So I went in and nicely called the 800 number for the GM card and it was in the time frame, all they had to do was call the dealer, confirm and we are being reimbursed!
So don't be afraid to ask if coupon or bonus dollars still count if you bought prior or after expiration, you may still qualify. I almost didn't make the call and figured the worst they could say was no.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Subaru has a some what similar program for a $500 same as cash coupon that they share with some owners for the purpose of sharing with others interested in getting in a Subaru.

Subaru used to have a program that would give you $500 if you had ever owned a Subie. Any idea if they still have something like that?

Darkone

TDI
'15 A8L TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI
Subaru used to have a program that would give you $500 if you had ever owned a Subie. Any idea if they still have something like that?
If only, they offered Horizontally-opposed, 4-cylinder, 4-stroke, turbocharged, diesel engine DOHC 16-valve, as available on Legacy in Europe....I'd be all over that.
After owning Legacy GT and Tribeca, I have too say Subarus are one of the best cars out there.

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG
I'm seriously considering replacing my 2010 TDI Sportwagen with a 2017 Subaru Forester XT when I get the buyback approved in a month or two. I'd be very interested in a coupon if you're still offering it.

Jogglebot

TDI
MK6 TDI
I have a purchase agreement and deposit submitted for a 2016 Honda CR-V EX. My buyback is Friday the 13th.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
Replacement of my TDI

2018 GTI w/ performance package 245hp; that's worth waiting for. I would probably order it in 2018 for pickup when I turn-in the TDI. Not sure if it'll be made in Mexico, Europe, or US, probably Mexico? Any news on it would be helpful.
Watch first 3 minutes.
https://youtu.be/laW6FWZeEsE

Last edited:

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
After doing some shopping we settled on a loaded CPO 2015 MAZDA6 Grand Touring in Deep Crystal Blue Mica. We drive from our return appointment to the Mazda dealer, screw our plate onto our new car, and head home.

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
2018 GTI w/ performance package 245hp; that's worth waiting for. I would probably order it in 2018 for pickup when I turn-in the TDI. Not sure if it'll be made in Mexico, Europe, or US, probably Mexico? Any news on it would be helpful.
Watch first 3 minutes.
while it sounds impressive...going to be hard to get that power down with FWD

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Modern sticky tires and XDS can help, though. And, 245 hp isn't even close to what some other automakers have run through the front wheels of a compact...

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
Pick up my sheep in wolf's clothing Friday. CPO 2014 CT200h F Sport with under 5k miles. I'll be going slow in style....

Last edited:

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
GTI is already pretty fast now, even with the 220hp PP. The car isn't that big.

I ended up getting a car with 240HP/260TQ, but it's a heavier car so slightly slower than the GTI in a drag race. I'm pretty happy with it thus far. Getting 20MPG at the moment (short city driving).

POBOX2897

TDI
2014 JSW 6-speed
I saw mention of this $500 on another forum so I chased it down just last week...It does indeed exist.

I sent Subaru some general inquiry questions and closed my email by asking them for a customer loyalty incentive.

It seems my email was still linked to my prior 2012 Impreza, because I got the $500 coupon, and, it had my old 2012 VIN on it. It is valid for one year.

Your mileage may vary, but good luck anyhow. I have ordered a 2017 Impreza 5-door Limited.

Last edited:

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Watch first 3 minutes.
while it sounds impressive...going to be hard to get that power down with FWD
Plenty of guys with TDIs making a lot more torque than that engine and they manage.

aliasbane

TDI
Passat 2013
So I just submited my all signed and crap offer. The car hunt is on..

I really have no idea what the heck I want to buy... I bought my 2013 Passat SEL TDI with intent of running it into the ground and then building a gocart with the disel engine =P

Btw I am now 26 and can not afford to buy another similar car or at least have say 3 to 5 years of loans....
I'm also 6'3" 240lbs, so I am a big guy small cars do not work for me, which sucks because that leaves more expensive cars.

I have been looking at everything CPO for the most part, but might just go with a kia...

I'm just so disgusted with cars that I really dont even want to own one to much hassle... unless you have ample money...

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I saw mention of this $500 on another forum so I chased it down just last week...It does indeed exist.

I sent Subaru some general inquiry questions and closed my email by asking them for a customer loyalty incentive.

It seems my email was still linked to my prior 2012 Impreza, because I got the $500 coupon, and, it had my old 2012 VIN on it. It is valid for one year.

Your mileage may vary, but good luck anyhow. I have ordered a 2017 Impreza 5-door Limited.
Thanks for digging. I'll have to see if that is still there when we get down to deciding what to do with the JSW.