Consensus on Suspension

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
We're at 100K miles now and the wife started complaining about suspension and brakes.

When I look at ID Parts, there are two different Koni sets:

Koni Special ACTIVE Strut and Shock Set (NMS Passat)

Koni Sport (Yellow) Strut and Shock Set (NMS Passat)

I am not really looking for any sort of upgrade other than make something more durable and long lasting than the OEM.

What are folks generally installing?

EDIT: I was fine with the Bilstein TC Sports on my Jetta, but I also rolled the MOOG coils and the Audi TT bushings.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think it's fair to say that the consensus on suspension is that there's no consensus. Perceptions of ride and handling are subjective: What is nice to one person is wallowy (or harsh) to another.

What's your wife complaining about? Is the ride worse? Rattles? Dive on braking? steering control? Body roll? If you can get her to better articulate what she is unhappy with it'll help you decide.

If she liked the car the way it was and the suspension just feels worn out, then OE replacement dampers may be the way to go. If she prefers smooth ride over handling, then Koni Actives may be a good fit. If she wants less body roll and more precise handling and doesn't mind a firmer ride, then Yellows may be the answer.

It really depends. Folks here love Bilsteins. Not me. Other people think Koni Specials are harsh. All subjective.

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
I think the most important think is the longevity, to me. If I can get a set that will last longer than the 100k we have on the OE set, as we intend to keep the car in the family for a while.

The problems that she is reporting is mostly related to braking, but is complaining about handling some, too, but all of that starts to be a little bit related with further degradation.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'd suggest Koni Special Actives, then. They should last significantly longer than the OE dampers. Replace the mounts, too.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
another option is Bilstein

B6 are supposed to be OEM replacement for ride, where as B8 is more heavy duty, not sure if that means firmer ride with possible shorter life or longer life with a more firmer ride.

Bilsteins was going through a production issue the past couple years but I believe stock is showing up this side of the pond.

Agreed that mounts are always good to replace, bushings in control arms wouldn't be bad to check as well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Bilsteins are a good option if you don't mind a firm ride. I personally hate them. Like I said: subjective.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
If your OE dampers lasted 100k miles, then what's the harm in putting in another set of the same thing? They'll get you to 200k, at which point the rest of the car will start falling apart around you if your experience is anything like mine.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Why chance complaints when you can just replace with original. There might be a difference between se and sel dampers.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I looked while ago, and I think it's springs that's the difference between the line as there was only one PN for dampers listed.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I've really enjoyed the koni specials, and my wife hasnt complained about the car being harsh (she would, believe me), and I now enjoy the 2 lane curvy roads around here. Its as close as the best of both worlds as i have found.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
OP: What did you go with in the end? I'm going to have to make a decision at some point as my prettier half has decided that she finds the ride on the Passat poor (we have terrible roads up here and she dislikes the way it hits bumps). I was going to do an RSB and some stiffer tires, but i'm not sure what to do with the shocks.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
OP: (we have terrible roads up here and she dislikes the way it hits bumps). I was going to do an RSB and some stiffer tires, but i'm not sure what to do with the shocks.
If that is the case why on earth would you look for stiffer tires?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Because to me, it doesn't handle like a VW should, which is probably by biggest disappointment
So your wife would like a comfortable ride and you want it to handle like a VW? Guess there is no compromise there eh? With my car, I used Koni FSD's H&R OE sport springs and 16" tires softer taller sidewall than the crappy 18" wheels that came on the car and didn't in your words "make it handle like a VW". I gained both control and comfort over the stock suspension. Yeah, I added a stiffer rear swaybar to. Stiffer tires do not make the car handle more like a VW, they just create a harsher ride.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Because to me, it doesn't handle like a VW should, which is probably by biggest disappointment

Go test drive an Atlas or a Tiguan :p

I'd say start with just a RSB, it will make you pleasantly happy with the money spent on it.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Just out of curiosity, Vw are you comparing the handling to?

It's never going to handle like a GTI or GLI from the factory. Those are "sports" cars where as the Passat is a family car.

If you want better handling with a stock-ish ride, I highly suggest the Koni Special Active shocks and struts. That will give you a better all around ride instead of the floaty boaty suspension you have now.

I would also highly suggest a 24mm rear sway bar. This will flatten out the turns so the body doesnt lean over as much and you can throw it into a turn with a little more confidence.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Just out of curiosity, Vw are you comparing the handling to?
It's never going to handle like a GTI or GLI from the factory. Those are "sports" cars where as the Passat is a family car.
If you want better handling with a stock-ish ride, I highly suggest the Koni Special Active shocks and struts. That will give you a better all around ride instead of the floaty boaty suspension you have now.
I would also highly suggest a 24mm rear sway bar. This will flatten out the turns so the body doesnt lean over as much and you can throw it into a turn with a little more confidence.
Mostly comparing to my MK4s.

I think I will go with the Special Active and the bigger rear bar and see how it goes. Thanks for your input

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
setting rear camber to 1.5 degree negative makes a noticeable difference.