Dsg question

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I was loaned a 16 tsi with a dsg, and it didn't do the weird rpm load with light brake petal like my 15 does

When the brake petal is heavily pressed, the rpm in gear will be around mid 700s to 800, whatever it is without getting my face in the dash.

Wjen I begin to lift my foot, the computer applies fuel (1k rpm) and begins to drag the clutches.

I hate it.
The tsi wouldn't do anything until I applied throttle.

I was poking around the abs module on my car and I found a lot of weird entries in the adaptions. Hill hold, hill assistant percentage, which is 6%. I set it to zero and nothing changed.

Ideas?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
This is the Golf MkVII subforum. I wasn't aware of a MkVII TSI (non-GTI/R) Golf in the US with DSG.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Well here's the facts.

It was a cc sedan that had tsi badge. It Burned gasoline, it said dsg on the shifter knob, and it from a dealer in Michigan/USA.

And it doesn't do that weird ass stupid high idle the moment you begin to release the brake pedal when in gear like my tdi 15 does.

The moment I begin to reduce petal pressure, lifting my foot off the brake (while brake lights are still on) it's adding fuel and trying to go with clutch slip.

I hate it. And that gasser 2016 dsg didn't do it.

Curious if it's something that's changeable or a forever nuisance to me. I thought it was a dsg thing, until I drove another dsg that didn't do it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
This is the Golf MkVII subforum. I wasn't aware of a MkVII TSI (non-GTI/R) Golf in the US with DSG.

Alltrack and 4mo Sportwagens have DSG ;) but those are '17

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
The 2015 Tdi didn't have it initially. It was changed with the dieselgate fix. It should be a Tdi specific thing and not found in gassers

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well here's the facts.

It was a cc sedan that had tsi badge. It Burned gasoline, it said dsg on the shifter knob, and it from a dealer in Michigan/USA.

And it doesn't do that weird ass stupid high idle the moment you begin to release the brake pedal when in gear like my tdi 15 does.

The moment I begin to reduce petal pressure, lifting my foot off the brake (while brake lights are still on) it's adding fuel and trying to go with clutch slip.

I hate it. And that gasser 2016 dsg didn't do it.

Curious if it's something that's changeable or a forever nuisance to me. I thought it was a dsg thing, until I drove another dsg that didn't do it.

Thats some good facts, one thing to realize is the tuning of each software package is different, especially for TDI vs TSI, once you start mixing in emissions stuffs. A CC DSG isn't prob going to be the same as a GTI tune.

From driving our Alltrack to our Passat back to back, I'd say they are 90% similar in initial take off, every now and then I can feel the Alltrack "think about" what it wants to do. Now the snappiness of shifts in the Passat is hands down better than the Alltrack.

What do you consider high idle when it slips the clutch? 1100 rpm?

I've heard 3rd party DSG tuning does wonders, but I don't have any first hand experience.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
1000rpm when in gear and I begin to reduce brake pressure.

It's annoying to me, because I have a habit of barely any brake pedal pressure when in gear at corners/stops

Not enough to let the car roll but enough to trigger the ecm to apply fuel and begin clutch slip.

It'll bounce from 700s to 1000 several times because I'm teetering the trigger point.

It's had phase 1 fix applied. Is that this reason? Or a generic vw diesel thing when matted to dsg ?

lt313

TDI
03' TDI 5 Spd and 09' DSG Sportwagon
1000rpm when in gear and I begin to reduce brake pressure.

It's annoying to me, because I have a habit of barely any brake pedal pressure when in gear at corners/stops

Not enough to let the car roll but enough to trigger the ecm to apply fuel and begin clutch slip.

It'll bounce from 700s to 1000 several times because I'm teetering the trigger point.

It's had phase 1 fix applied. Is that this reason? Or a generic vw diesel thing when matted to dsg ?

Just turned in my 2009 JSW and purchased 2015 GSW. Does the same 1000 rpm at idle in gear unless you press very heavy on the brake pedal. Dealer said it was part of the phase 1 update.

Like Jason, I do not keep the break pedal mashed to the floor while sitting at a light and I'm very concerned about the accelerated wear on the clutches. Hoping one of the after market tuners can correct this but haven't contacted anyone.

Also, the JSW required very little throttle pedal movement taking off where I have to push the go pedal almost 1/2 way to the floor on the GSW just to get moving. Anyone else notice this or is it normal for the GSW.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
brake pressure to relieve DSG clutch!!!

I agree it is really abusive to the DSG.

I complained about the 2010 DSG JSW with the delay in engagement. But at least it was completely no load with light brake pressure!

I discovered the rpm drop with heavy brake pressure at about 4000 miles. More importantly, I discovered the DSG engagement with light brake pressure. WOW. How stupid. How can this possibly improve emissions? And worse, why grind away DSG clutch media while stopped (light brake pressure). DUMB.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'm actually wanting to quickly eat up my mileage warranty so I can quickly and possibly get this addressed with a tune.

I'd love to remove the half ass slip and firm up the shifting.

If prefer a quicker snap of clutch packs. I never take sips of my drink while taking off from stops.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can confirm a tune dramatically improves tip in and throttle response. As described by another member, it’s as if the ECU was given a nice cup of coffee and decided it wants to roll.

Also a DSG tune shouldn’t affect engine warranty, but it’s your choice

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'll hit both when I delete after warranty.

Delete, cp3, dsg tune in approximately 150k miles, right now 4/5 years. Funds already in the savings and car is paid off. Thanks vw.

Forte

TDI
2015 Sport Wagen
Don’t be a pussy and tune it now lol me and 740GLE have had ours tuned for a little while now. Did mine at 1,100 miles or so. Still waiting on a DSG time for my 2015 Golf but it runs much better than stock.

lt313

TDI
03' TDI 5 Spd and 09' DSG Sportwagon
Don’t be a pussy and tune it now lol me and 740GLE have had ours tuned for a little while now. Did mine at 1,100 miles or so. Still waiting on a DSG time for my 2015 Golf but it runs much better than stock.
Did the engine tune eliminate/correct the 1000 rpm issue while stopped in gear?

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Seems unfortunate vw decided to turn a nice gearbox into a questionable future future.

I'm curious if it was a desperate shortcut to meet emissions? Keep turbo somewhat spoiled for when driver punches throttle? Maybe they had to do it to prevent even worse tip in lag?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did the engine tune eliminate/correct the 1000 rpm issue while stopped in gear?

Nope, I find that you don't need to "stand" on the brakes, but agreed its more than the minimum is needed to prevent the rpm creep, nothing that really bothers me once you expect it in stop and go driving. I do find myself not creeping up anymore at red lights, probably for the best.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
That's the annoying part for me.

I can make the rpm bounce with brake pedal without having the vehicle inch forward at all.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's the annoying part for me.

I can make the rpm bounce with brake pedal without having the vehicle inch forward at all.

Are you also the type that also sits with the car in gear and feathers the clutch waiting for that green light in a manual transmission?

Also I guess its better that you play with the brake pedal than play with your phone at a red light.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Haha, no. Actually I'm quite the opposite with a clutch. I'll just pull it out of gear without clutching with no pressure on drive train, coast to my stop, or slip it into gear if the light changes, but if a stop leave it in neutral until green, then I'll drag the disk so hard with near half throttle it's borderline dangerous from low oil pressure, and the old vw broke me of that. Too low of rpm = stall.

All my vehicles have skirt slap, gas or diesel. Haha.

Everything I drive, within a half second clutch is fully engaged and rarely ill break 1000rpm with partial clutch.

No, I don't burn clutches.

There's only a few that drive a clutch like that.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There's only a few that drive a clutch like that.
But you don't mind doing that to the DSG?

Granted is a wet clutch and will take a lot more of that kind of abuse, inching forward or fluctuating the brake peddle in a DSG is the same thing as slipping it in a MT.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Hmm. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. Appreciate your efforts.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I'll hit both when I delete after warranty.

Delete, cp3, dsg tune in approximately 150k miles, right now 4/5 years. Funds already in the savings and car is paid off. Thanks vw.

....hmmmmmm

How do you (personally ) value the 162,000 warranty? -- 5 cents per mile? = $8,100

3 cents per mile? = $4,860

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
But can you put a price on happiness?

DSG tunes really liven these things up too, and have a proper launch control. Have had tunes for the ea288 golfs, through the diagnostic port, for over a year now, but unfortunately that is a different tool from what all our distributors have. Only have a couple of them circulating (mostly for R&D) so hopefully alientech steps up their game.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
... snip....
In my youth they called me lead foot. Now they call me McKscrooge

As a vendor naturally you wish to sell your talents and wares.

I was once a Merchant in Ladies and Children's clothing. We called the high volume ladies buyers, CLOTHS HORSES. Some would wear it once, then off to the resale shoppe. :D

She was happy, My bank account was happy. Not too sure about their husbands. :p

I too sold "happiness."

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI

DSG tunes really liven these things up too, and have a proper launch control. Have had tunes for the ea288 golfs, through the diagnostic port, for over a year now, but unfortunately that is a different tool from what all our distributors have. Only have a couple of them circulating (mostly for R&D) so hopefully alientech steps up their game.
Do you happen to have one of these tools circulating in the Chicago-Rockford area? Would love to help with the R&D.