www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old February 18th, 2017, 11:12   #121
leicaman
Veteran Member
 
leicaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I never understood why people bought those new when the Nissan dealer was selling the Pathfinder for so much less, even the tarted up trim level. At least those looked better than the vomit inducing SUVs Infiniti now has at their lot. Gosh, they just get uglier and uglier as time goes on.
I think Nissan's designers are on some special meds. I don't quite understand it. Same goes for some Lexus designs IMHO. But do not forget. Back in the late 1950s remember how some Studebakers, DeSotos and Chrysler Imperials looked in that period. Holy Toledo! Top on my ugly list was the '58 Packard Hawk and 61 DeSoto.
__________________
2015 Golf SE TDI with DSG.
2005 Passat GLS TDI - RIP, 208k miles. Many good memories and friends made with this car.

Last edited by leicaman; February 18th, 2017 at 11:14.
leicaman is offline  
Old February 18th, 2017, 22:56   #122
tadawson
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lewisville, TX
Default

CARB is a bunch of imbeciles that overregulate everything they touch. A far gentler regulatory touch will have exactly the same positive effect.
tadawson is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 11:22   #123
Oilerlord
Veteran Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamalin View Post

Sure hope we see CARB compliant diesels or our cities will be as polluted as London. I live in a smog ridden city. I treat kids and seniors suffocating in it. That's why regulations are necessary. They have saved the well being of millions. If you don't like CARB, guess you don't watch your kid trying to breath. Enjoy your smoggy cars with President Trump, just hope you don't have to take your grandkids to the ER to be intubated.
Dude: Chill. You're raising your blood pressure. Heart attacks kill people.
__________________

Malone Stage 2 / DSG Flash / Rawtek Exhaust.
Oilerlord is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 22:09   #124
rotarykid
Veteran Member
 
rotarykid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Exclamation Auto class diesel cars have not been sold in the US in any numbers in over 3 decades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamalin View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/w...T.nav=top-news

Sure hope we see CARB compliant diesels or our cities will be as polluted as London. I live in a smog ridden city. I treat kids and seniors suffocating in it. That's why regulations are necessary. They have saved the well being of millions. If you don't like CARB, guess you don't watch your kid trying to breath. Enjoy your smoggy cars with President Trump, just hope you don't have to take your grandkids to the ER to be intubated.
I am sorry but this is just a bunch of unsupported by reality anywhere whooy! Auto class diesels exist in such low numbers we could go back to pre-1992 auto class diesel emissions regs for a decade at least before enough of these would exist to start to maybe effect a little air. And in reality auto class diesels like the one's the EPA & CARB have gone after will likely never exist in enough numbers anywhere in the US over the next decade or so even if they were put back to pre-1992 levels to ever have a measurable effect on air quality!!!

.Also both the EPA & CARB have in recent years come out with on the ground collected emissions data saying the real polluters today & for the last three decades are not diesels, but have always been unregulated nor measured today gasoline engine produced Ultra-Fine PMs!!!!

Facts & reality should matter when it comes to passing or enforcing emissions regulations....


FACT based on reality.....the current ridiculously useless over zealous stupid politically not science in any way based auto class diesel engine'd emissions on non-existent cars were never about cleaner air anywhere in the US!!!!That is since no one has sold these auto class offering in the US in any numbers since 1985 Model year!!!!

Where was all of this cleaner air supposed to come from when these stupid useless rules were passed on non-existent for over three decades now auto class diesels!!! Your posted link is BS not based on reality on ground anywhere today!!!

You really want cleaner air:"? Demand we require PM traps on all gasoline engine'd vehicle, that will really give us cleaner air getting rid of the real pollution today which does kill americans every day....

Putting real regulations that will reduce what EPA & CARB study data has said for close to three decades now are what are causing cancer & breathing health issues which lead to real deaths.....

EPA & CARB collected real study data that says these mega-tons gasoline engine produced annually Ultra-Fine PMs, pollution that is only today produced by gasoline powered vehicles are a real measurable today health issue!!!


!!!...Facts matter...!!!
__________________
More diesels than I can list
rotarykid is offline  
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:18   #125
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor
 
oilhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St Louis
Fuel Economy: fantastic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicaman View Post
I think Nissan's designers are on some special meds. I don't quite understand it. Same goes for some Lexus designs IMHO. But do not forget. Back in the late 1950s remember how some Studebakers, DeSotos and Chrysler Imperials looked in that period. Holy Toledo! Top on my ugly list was the '58 Packard Hawk and 61 DeSoto.

No special meds. They are under the influence of the French, the country that has a century's worth of producing some off-the-wall automotive ideas. Some good (Michelin's radial ply tires, Renault's Espace), some not so good (Renault Avantime, Citroen's goofy pneumatic steering/suspension in the DS).

Nissan is majority owned by Renault, which is likely why so many newer Nissan products are styled so awful.
__________________
oilhammer
www.cardocautomotive.com
oilhammer is offline  
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:58   #126
kjclow
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW
Default

You can blame all the wine then!
__________________
2010 silver/black JSW TDI with DSG, 2011 red Golf TDI with dsg, 2003 red/gray Passat 1.8l gasser
kjclow is offline  
Old March 28th, 2017, 23:53   #127
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large
 
TDIMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Canada
TDI(s): TDI
Default

If EPA regulations for light duty passenger car emissions are rolled back to a point where VW could have passed (assuming the defeat device is resolved), VW should sue the EPA back; fix, recondition and resell the TDIs sitting at the Pontiac Silverdome stadium and get back offering TDIs again.
__________________

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline  
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:58   #128
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member
 
2015vwgolfdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Oklahoma
Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
If EPA regulations for light duty passenger car emissions are rolled back to a point where VW could have passed (assuming the defeat device is resolved), VW should sue the EPA back; fix, recondition and resell the TDIs sitting at the Pontiac Silverdome stadium and get back offering TDIs again.
No legal eagle here -

WAG could give it a shot

IMO a waste of WAG funds

CAL and CARB would step in and squash it anyway -
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline  
Old March 29th, 2017, 09:40   #129
evantful
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Montgomery, NY
Fuel Economy: 44.3 AV
Default

RotaryKid,

Your argument is just as weak as the one your raging against that ssamlin made with that NYTimes article.

To sum up your rant:
1) You find that the EPA's and CARB's auto diesel emission regulations are over zealous
2) You make this statement because diesel as a proportion of American cars is insignificant.
3) Thus Desiels should go back to pre-1992 emission standards, while gas engines should have to meet the most stringent emissions standards and include particle filters.

How about we just create a level playing field and both car class gas and diesel engines meet the same requirements. And Im all for Particle for filters for both.
evantful is offline  
Old March 29th, 2017, 10:50   #130
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor
 
oilhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St Louis
Fuel Economy: fantastic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evantful View Post
How about we just create a level playing field and both car class gas and diesel engines meet the same requirements. And Im all for Particle for filters for both.
That would be fine, except that it would/could never really happen. The two fuels/engines are vastly different to the point that they are at opposing ends in many respects.

Diesels, by their very nature, can run FAR leaner than any gasoline engine ever could. Ever. So NOx will ALWAYS be problematic, but fuel consumption will ALWAYS be stellar and the CO, CO2, HC, and all the rest will be very, very low. Even with no catalyst because there simply isn't anything left to catalyze if they are able to run at their leanest.

Gasoline engines do not have much trouble with NOx, because they are simply burning so much more fuel they gobble up all the free oxygen. But that fuel gobbling means they will ALWAYS use more fuel, and they cannot ever overcome the losses of excess heat generated that go right out the tailpipe.

This is of course all moot since EVs are going to replace both of them, whether we want them, need them, or can even use them. Lots of people who could use them won't. And some of us that can't (at least not with the current tech) won't, but we also don't feel like feeding some gas guzzling pig all the time.

It would make more sense to exploit the benefits of each for the interim. Maybe NOx regulations could be relaxed on cars that get 50+ MPG. Why should a 50 MPG Golf be expected to run cleaner than a Harley Davidson that gets 35 MPG? Yet that is exactly what is happening. Absurd. In the mean time, the F150 remains the top selling vehicle in this country.

I am not really worried, I am stashing up enough high MPG diesels that I will able to bridge the gap until something better comes along or I am dead of old age, whichever comes first.
__________________
oilhammer
www.cardocautomotive.com

Last edited by oilhammer; March 29th, 2017 at 10:53.
oilhammer is offline  
Old March 29th, 2017, 20:38   #131
rotarykid
Veteran Member
 
rotarykid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Exclamation political based not science based witch hunt against all auto class diesel offerings

Quote:
Originally Posted by evantful View Post
RotaryKid,
Your argument is just as weak as the one your raging against that ssamlin made with that NYTimes article.
To sum up your rant:
1) You find that the EPA's and CARB's auto diesel emission regulations are over zealous
2) You make this statement because diesel as a proportion of American cars is insignificant.
3) Thus Desiels should go back to pre-1992 emission standards, while gas engines should have to meet the most stringent emissions standards and include particle filters.
How about we just create a level playing field and both car class gas and diesel engines meet the same requirements. And Im all for Particle for filters for both.

simple answer, gasoline engine'd vehicles outnumber auto class diesel offerings today and for the last three decades 1,000,000 to ONE! the real pollution then and today related to auto class fleet comes from gasoline engine'd vehicles so they must have regulations to deal with the real pollution they DO PRODUCE!!!!


FACTS MATTER!!! Nothing will ever be gained from the current emissions over-regulation of non-existent nor sold in the US since 1985 model year auto class diesels!!!


The current BS politically not science based going after VWAG over the minuscule numbers of these almost non-existent in our fleet compared to gasoline powered offerings sold today was not a thing to do with cleaner air.... but was always a politically based not science based in any way when it comes to giving us cleaner air effort to make sure these fuel sipping cars are never sold here in any real numbers!!!
__________________
More diesels than I can list
rotarykid is offline  
Old March 30th, 2017, 07:54   #132
evantful
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Montgomery, NY
Fuel Economy: 44.3 AV
Default

RotaryKid,

Your argument doesn't factor in market change.

It easy to say "Diesels only occupy this X-amount of the market so they should have massively reduced emissions regulation".

The problem is if a modern diesel car, with massively reduced emissions regulation, had to compete against a modern gasoline engine, with massively increased emission regulation, theres a high probability you would begin to see a market shift towards diesels.

A diesel car might be much closer to initial price parity and the overall Fuel efficency difference would be much greater. So thus as was the case in Europe for many years, theres a high probability that diesel cars would occupy a much greater share of the market, if not dominate it.

What would the end result be in all of this? Massively increased emissions from diesel cars.

So the issue is your "facts" don't account for any kind of market change. So lets quit it with some of this political conspiracy against diesels garbage. Because if you want to talk "Facts", then you can't talk unfounded political conspiracy.

I grew up in up state New York. I can drive through dozens of former major industrial cities and towns: Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, virtually the entire Erie Canal/Hudson River belt and can't begin to count the superfund sites that exist. Our creation and consumption comes at a price, a price that in most cases is not paid by the companies that created it decades earlier, but by the tax payers, in the magnitude of billions of dollars, who are left to deal with the aftermath long after those companies no longer exist. So lets not pity VAG for purposely breaking the law. As Donald Trump said "We are a nation of laws".


OilHammer, thanks for your feedback. You're certainly right thats its not as easy to try and simply level the playing field, I just have to imagine a calculation could be made that can account for the fuel burned/fuel efficiency, CO2, particle matter, NOx, etc emitted, etc to create a point of "general emissions competitiveness". And like you said, its all moot because the F-150, and the Silverado/Sierra Twins occupy 1,2,3.

Last edited by evantful; March 30th, 2017 at 08:51.
evantful is offline  
Old March 30th, 2017, 11:15   #133
SkeeterMark
Veteran Member
 
SkeeterMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North Branch, MN
Fuel Economy: See Sig
Default

Even if the diesel car market exploded, there's another big chunk of polluters your not mentioning - the oil exploration, extraction, refining and delivery of fuel to your local station. If everyone drove a TDI, and they were 30% more efficient than the average vehicle, you'd see a 30% (or more) drop in all the pollutants from those sources. Seems like it would more than make up for a little spewing from the tailpipes of the TDI's. Especially because you'd be eliminating the majority of gasoline engines and their pollutants as well.
__________________
SkeeterMark is offline  
Old March 30th, 2017, 11:26   #134
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor
 
oilhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: St Louis
Fuel Economy: fantastic
Default

There are so many things that fall into the projected or what not levels of pollution and impact to the environment. Unless you have some parallel universe to draw comparisons with, a lot of it is difficult to say. There are so many things that "being human" paints as a bad thing in general that the only for sure fact that cannot be argued is that if you are born and live here, you are in some way doing harm to the planet.

So trying to at least make decisions in your individual lives that at least lessen your impact is all you can hope for. There are SO many other things I see that make no real sense yet they continue to happen. I'm guilty of that, too.

But I have personally seen, and continue to see, regulatory decisions that have a kernel of good intention but end up creating no real stride forward or worse, a step backward, that ultimately end in a net zero gain towards their intended goal. Targeting hyper efficient cars over grossly inefficient ones is just one example. But when the motoring populace is currently once again smitten with cheap fuel costs, who cares about that?

Aside from car geeks such as myself, our society in general has some strange addiction to automobiles that quite often does not make much rational sense.
__________________
oilhammer
www.cardocautomotive.com
oilhammer is offline  
Old April 3rd, 2017, 11:38   #135
tikal
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southeast Texas
Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterMark View Post
Even if the diesel car market exploded, there's another big chunk of polluters your not mentioning - the oil exploration, extraction, refining and delivery of fuel to your local station. If everyone drove a TDI, and they were 30% more efficient than the average vehicle, you'd see a 30% (or more) drop in all the pollutants from those sources. Seems like it would more than make up for a little spewing from the tailpipes of the TDI's. Especially because you'd be eliminating the majority of gasoline engines and their pollutants as well.
Thank you sir! By looking at the most holistic study we have so far in the USA the gasoline and gasoline-hybrids ICE vehicles are still environmentally more costly than modern diesel passenger cars (legally sold in the US). What will close the gap between them then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Here is an updated graphic comparing various vehicle technologies and fuels using the latest version of the GREET model (GREET_2016 which was released just a few weeks ago - https://greet.es.anl.gov/ ).





The gasoline vehicle technology is listed as "SIDI (E10)" on the graphic.
tikal is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EPA mulls over urea-injection rules TDIMeister TDI (Diesel) Emissions 26 September 8th, 2006 22:50
Supreme Court Rules on EPA Air Quality Sun Baked GL TDI (Diesel) Emissions 16 March 4th, 2001 18:40
EPA rules! Janusz Fuels & Lubricants 2 February 28th, 2001 19:45
WSJ - New EPA Rules May Fuel Profits Sun Baked GL TDI (Diesel) Emissions 5 February 6th, 2001 01:45
EPA nominee would review Clinton diesel rules Eolair TDI (Diesel) Emissions 5 January 19th, 2001 15:12


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.16997 seconds with 11 queries
[Output: 142.92 Kb. compressed to 121.15 Kb. by saving 21.77 Kb. (15.23%)]