www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old March 13th, 2014, 12:41   #31
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttendiesel View Post
put in the Osrams from Candlepower at $76 for 4 and thought it was a pretty good upgrade for the money, much better light but still lacking a little, I was coming from a 2010 accord that I retrofitted with s2k projectors but that cost me over $700 and the output is unreal, makes my other car with stock xenons really seem dim by comparison but after turning off the bulb saving feature via vcds i now have pretty respectable output and am happy with it plus my sister-in-law just bought a 14', I told her i'll do the upgrade for her, found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-OSRAM-Sy...-/171264843521

on ebay and figured what the heck, they appear to be the real deal and i cannot tell the difference when comparing them side to side, now i can change out low beams every year for $10!
That's a pretty nice price if they're the real deal! Probably parts store shrinkage, though... I can't think of any other reason to sell that cheap.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:50   #32
DieselRacer
banned

Fuel Economy: 30.6 combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
That's a pretty nice price if they're the real deal! Probably parts store shrinkage, though... I can't think of any other reason to sell that cheap.
They are always that price on there from what I remember, how long do these bulbs last compared to OEM bulbs...
DieselRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 16:14   #33
dcullen

Default rated Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwracer View Post
They are always that price on there from what I remember, how long do these bulbs last compared to OEM bulbs...

Standard 55w H7 are rate 450 hours, Osram 65w Rallyes are rated 400 hours

50% greater lumen output.

Sylvania Silverstars (US) rated at 200 hours
dcullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 16:15   #34
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Silverstar's rating of 200 hours is ridiculous. I'd be changing lamps frequently at that life span...

Old March 13th, 2014, 17:59   #35
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
Silverstar's rating of 200 hours is ridiculous. I'd be changing lamps frequently at that life span...

They last FAR longer than 200 hours!
Old March 13th, 2014, 20:00   #36
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

^^^this...in my experience...
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 20:58   #37
macoombi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_norm View Post

The lights will run at 65 watts regardless of the voltage supplied. They will just pull more current (more amps).
This is incorrect. A simple light bulb acts like a simple resistor. V=IR applies. The higher the voltage, the higher the current flow for a given resistance. And since power is voltage time current, when the voltage and current go up, so does the power. More power = more light output.

Ever notice the headlights getting brighter when you increase the rpms from idle? That's proof.
macoombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 21:05   #38
macoombi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
False! Incandescent lamps are a variable resistive load, and also have a reverse temp to resistance relationship (resistance goes *down* as it heats) and will draw more power at higher voltage, being limited by failure. Wattage ratings are at the design voltage, and only that voltage. Think about what you said - if it were true, you could get the same output with 6 volts as 12, and we all know that to be false as well.

So yes, while P=IV, P is also V^2/R or I^2*R (using ohms law, V=IR to solve for I or V).
Note P=V^2/R . . . power not only goes up, but goes up at the square of the voltage!

- Tim
You're also partially incorrect. Tungsten bulbs don't have an inverse temperature coefficient. The resistance goes up with heat. Perhaps you're thinking of the early carbon filament bulbs from the late 1800s.

But the rest of what you posted is good.
macoombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 08:07   #39
Hypermile
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_norm View Post
But you can retrofit 55W H11s by dremeling down the big tab on the base about 1/16" on each side for a noticeable improvement in output.
Thanks, check my sig.
2013 Candy White Passat TDI DSG, Comfortline, Sports Package // 35% Ceramic Tint // LED Interior Lights // Euro Switch // LED Front & Rear Turn Signals/Markers // LED Front Corners Lights // LED Rear Inner Tail Lights // LED Puddle Lights // OEM LED Plate Lights // Nokya 2500K H11 55W Fogs // FX-R 3.0 Bi-X Projector Retro // 6000K 55W HID // IROAD IONE-900HD // LED Strip Trunk Light // Auto-Polar FIS+ Adv.
Hypermile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 16:10   #40
JM Popaleetus
Veteran Member

Well, one of the low beam bulbs went out on the Passat today, so I decided that now is a good time as ever to buy the Rallye 65W bulbs (and get the recall done).

Bumping this thread because I came across an interesting link: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

Quote:
The Flösser and Osram bulbs are electrically, optically, functionally, and qualitatively identical, but they are labelled differently. They are both built in Germany to exactly the same specification: an H9 burner on an H7 base, 65w at 12.0v, 2100 lumens at 13.2v. Flösser's box says "80w" while Osram's says "65w". This is not an actual power difference, it is a test voltage difference. Flösser power-rates their bulb at 13.5v rather than 12.0v. For any/all filament bulbs, the wattage rises exponentially to the power 1.6 with voltage increase. So a bulb rated 65w at 12.0v will be rated 78.5w (printed as 80w) at 13.5v. It's not two different bulbs, just two different test protocols. On the test bench, the Osram "65w" bulbs and the Flösser "80w" bulbs all test out at between 63.8 and 65.4 watts at a constant 13.2 volts.
It also appears that the maximum life expectancy of ~500 hours is measured at 13.2V as well.

Luckily for me, I also finally ordered a VCDS, so 13.2V is now what I plan to set the voltage at.
JM Popaleetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 14:13   #41
Lincoln
Veteran Member

Just reread through this whole thread and can't find anyone who installed 65W bulbs in place of 55W bulbs WITHOUT adjusting voltage who noticed any significant difference... Is that correct? I rented a Mustang yesterday and its lights were so much brighter than my stock lights that it made me look this back up. Now that we're back to morning-and-evening-commuting-in-the-dark in Seattle, it's a pressing issue. However, I don't have VCDS, so don't want to shell out for new bulbs if it won't make any difference at all...
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 05:48   #42
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

I would guess, and this is true for me, that most of us that installed the 65W bulbs want the lights to be as bright as possible so we upped the voltage to make sure they are opperating at full power. You might want to check out the VAG-COM locator in this thread there appear to be several in the Seattle area that could help you.
Old October 28th, 2014, 18:15   #43
LokiWolf
Veteran Member

Yep, even the stock bulbs improved with just the voltage...
Old October 28th, 2014, 21:56   #44
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

...and there should be sticky telling everyone to adjust their headlights before they jump to the conclusion that they're completely worthless...
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 15:55   #45
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
...and there should be sticky telling everyone to adjust their headlights before they jump to the conclusion that they're completely worthless...
It should be added to the FAQ thread. We don't need more stickies.