Hood wont open

wyopel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V-270k, 1998 Jetta-140k
Need some help getting my hood open on my B4V.

The release cable has either broke or disconnected at the hood latch mechanism. I have removed the grill and have pretty decent access. I have made a hook like tool as described in the thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=287074 and have fished around for hours trying to find and pull the release. Below is a picture of what I am looking at.

Can someone send me a picture of the latched mechanism so I can get a better idea of where to try and capture the release. I can't quiet figure out where the cable attached with the hood down.

I have also tried reaching up from underneath...but can't really reach anything.

I also have an mk3 jetta and looked at the latch...but the b4v latch looks different.

[/url][/IMG]

wyopel

Veteran Member
TDI
Solved my problem by drilling a hole that enabled me to get a tool in to release it. A major PITA.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
show us a picture of the hole you drilled. So now, all it needs is a regular screw driver straight through the grill ? When mine has stuck, I've had to use my extra long screw driver, jam it in at an angle and then wiggled the release handle in the cabin.

I'd like to see a way to do it when the cable no longer works.

Thanks

wyopel

Veteran Member
TDI
The picture shows the hole I drilled on the right. I fished around for several hours and made a tool, but could not seem to get the right spot. Finally I just drilled a hole and could see the spring and had it popped in about 5 minutes. After looking the latch mechanism with the hood open I could see why I was missing.
knowing what I know now, I think you might be able to fit a long screwdriver bent slightly and slide it through the already existing hole on the on right. If your screwdriver is long enough you may not even have to take the grill off! from there you may be able to trigger the release. If you can't get it, the place where the screw driver is pointing the picture may be better spot to drill if you have to. That should put you very close to where the cable attaches to the mechanism. Either way if you expect this might happen to you it is worth taking a look and maybe even practicing. It was really frustrating and time consuming.