MK4 Sunroof catching on stock wind deflector

sk1pp3r

TDI
2000 jetta
i am purchasing a 2000 Jetta TDI from a friend and the sunroof jams on the wind deflector when closing and then reopens.

am i missing something here. it seems to be pressing down on the arms of the deflector but the center just doesnt get low enough/ fast enough to not catch.

the closing path is clear of any trash but each time i have to push up and forward to make it keep closing.

any thoughts? thank you

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
If the sunroof frame and bits have never been serviced (as is likely), the lack of grease and collection of debris may impede smooth sliding may be a result. VW even has a specific sunroof grease (which I use), but I'd start with a q-tip cleaning and lube to see if it helps.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Had this issue, i just took it off, it only deflect the air. 2 years running with out it, no leaks no issues. you dont need it. take it off if you want or spend money replacement it from a junkyard. the bushings (runners) wear out, the track wears down, its hard or impossible to restore it. Good luck

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Could be an aftermarket defector, in which case who knows whether one could really get things sorted out correctly or not. As Mongler98 says, just remove it. The 2000s don't have the extra retraction that later years do, and it's this extra retraction that then introduces concerns over flutter (but with 2000s it's a non-issue).