Hid headlights

msalyers

TDI
01 new beetle 99 beetle
Ok I have a 2005 new beetle that has the factory hid headlights it seems my ballast is bad and the dealer ship wants 600 bucks for a new one can anyone tell me what my options are

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
1. Find out what type of bulb it is (ex. H1 or H11)

2. If you don't want cheap Ebay junk, check out theretrofitsource for high quality new (or even closeout) ballasts. I built my MK4 bi-xenon system with their stuff. Very high quality!!!

thatwhitejsw

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
I second theretrofitsource for HID setups. I had purchased one of their kits for my previous Honda Civic Hatchback Sport and it performed beautifully. One of the ballasts had gone bad within a month and they immediately shipped me a new one. Great company.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd buy a new MM assembly for $800 before I'd buy a ballast for $600.

But before I'd do that I'd just put some Bosch halogens in there. The only NBs I have ever seen cursed with OEM HIDs are some Turbo S models, and even at that it was an option. You have a TDI NB with them?

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I'd buy a new MM assembly for $800 before I'd buy a ballast for $600.
But before I'd do that I'd just put some Bosch halogens in there. The only NBs I have ever seen cursed with OEM HIDs are some Turbo S models, and even at that it was an option. You have a TDI NB with them?
I actually have a set of oem HID in one of my bugs. Worlds better than the Bosch halogen. I can actually see at night. Have had them in for 6 years and still work fine. Don’t know how long they will last so we shall see.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
Are you considering LED bulbs? I put a set in my 2002 Jetta and they work great! And they are pretty affordable at around $30