Exhaust Pressure Sensors (P047C)

regidog

TDI
2009 Jetta
Got a check engine light on my 2009 Jetta TDI last night. Brought it to the dealer and they pulled code P047C and recommended replacing the two exhaust pressure sensors. Parts and install was to be $650. I looked up these parts and installation. It seems pretty straight forward but do I need VAG Com to reset the system. Can anyone advise on the install and best place to get parts? thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Got a check engine light on my 2009 Jetta TDI last night. Brought it to the dealer and they pulled code P047C and recommended replacing the two exhaust pressure sensors. Parts and install was to be $650. I looked up these parts and installation. It seems pretty straight forward but do I need VAG Com to reset the system. Can anyone advise on the install and best place to get parts? thanks

The best place is probably a VW dealer. Both sensors are the same part number, but make sure you have your VIN number with you when you go to the dealer. Sometime in mid 2009 they changed the part number of these sensors. The last letter changed from an "A" to a "B". You must make sure that you get the correct one. A VW dealer can tell by your VIN, or you can look at the one that is easier to see (the one above the AUX fuel pump) and read the part number on it. You should be able to get the sensors for around $100 each (on-line price). You probably only need one of them, but figuring out which one can be problematic. It appears that the names of these 2 sensors got reversed between the CBEA (2009) and the CJAA (2010+) engines.

and Yes, you will need VCDS to reset these sensors so that the ECU adapts to the new sensors. Open the engine controller and choose "Advanced Coding". A pop-up will tell you what numbers to enter to adapt the new sensors. These sensors are on top and are pretty easy to replace. Just remember that the one above the DPF can get quite hot. Don't burn yourself.

Have Fun!

Don

regidog

TDI
2009 Jetta
Picked up the car from the dealer and the diagnostic sheet lists two part numbers for the sensors (G450 and G451). Are these sensors identical other than part number or are there 2 separate sensors?

I looked at the sensor directly behind the canister in my car and it is part number 076 906 051A.

thanks for the help

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Picked up the car from the dealer and the diagnostic sheet lists two part numbers for the sensors (G450 and G451). Are these sensors identical other than part number or are there 2 separate sensors?

I looked at the sensor directly behind the canister in my car and it is part number 076 906 051A.

thanks for the help
That 076 906 051 A is the sensor you want. There are 2 separate sensors but they are the exact same part. G450 and G451 are the 2 pressure sensors and they are both the same part number. One of them is mounted on top of the bracket that holds the AUX fuel pump and the other is snapped into a little insulation "blanket" above the DPF. If your dealer looks up the part numbers, they will find two different part numbers. One is the sensor above the DPF and the other is the exact same sensor - but it comes with a whole new mounting bracket (which about doubles the price). You do not need the whole new mounting bracket. Just order 2 of those 076-906-051A sensors - they will work in both places. The hardest part of replacing these sensors is getting to the hose clamps to take the hoses off of each sensor.

As I said above, there is a good chance that only one of these sensors is actually bad. You might be able to get away with buying only one sensor, replace one of these sensors, use VCDS to adapt the sensors, clear the fault code and go for a drive. If the fault does not come back, you are good. If the fault does come back replace the other sensor with the one you removed before, adapt, clear faults, and drive again to see what happens. You have about a 50/50 chance of picking the right sensor the first time. If you want to get it fixed as quickly as possible, buy both sensors and shotgun it all at once.

Have Fun!

Don

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
From my experience, you're better off to replace BOTH sensors on the 2009s with the newer P/N sensors, and reset the DPF pressure parameters.

It's kinda funny and sad at the same time, since these stupid sensors are what Ford used for so long to monitor EGR flow. And they failed, over and over again. Nice to see the Germans using defunct American tech and not really making it much better. *sigh* :rolleyes:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From my experience, you're better off to replace BOTH sensors on the 2009s with the newer P/N sensors, and reset the DPF pressure parameters.
That works? I helped a guy with a 2009 (not mine) and he bought the wrong sensor (a "B" version) and it did not work. The VW dealer told him that he needed the "A" version, so he bought another one and it worked. He only replaced one of them. Is the problem that both sensors must be the same type? Are the newer ones (the Bs) actually more reliable?

Since I have already helped 2 people replace these sensors (with VCDS), I was actually considering buying a spare sensor for my car (a version A). If the B version is actually better and it will work OK, I will wait for the failure (if it occurs) and just buy 2 of the B version of the sensors.

Have Fun!

Don

regidog

TDI
2009 Jetta
Sensors are in and the check engine light is off. Took about an hour to install both. Thanks for the help

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
I've had to replace the same sensor in my car...two years ago (@ 54,730 miles).
Check Engine Code was P0470 (Differential Pressure Sensor Abnormal).
VAGCOM code: G450 Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 Error.
So I replaced sensor 1 with 076-906-051B. BUT the check engine light came back on that same day.

So thinking that pressure sensor 2 was probably the actual issue....I replaced pressure sensor 2 with the original pressure sensor 1. This fixed my issue.

The exhaust pressure sensor 2 has P/N 03G 906 051G written on it. I'm sure that part number is superseded by 076-906-051B.

PS: These sensors (VW OEM 076-906-051B) can be purchased online for $72.00

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So I replaced sensor 1 with 076-906-051B. BUT the check engine light came back on that same day.

So thinking that pressure sensor 2 was probably the actual issue....I replaced pressure sensor 2 with the original pressure sensor 1. This fixed my issue.
There seems to be some debate and possibly even some differences between model years about which sensor is G450 and which one is G451. This is probably why many people just shotgun it and replace both at the same time. They are both on top of the engine and relatively easy to get at.

The service and repair manuals might be wrong in some details. I have read where people have said that they are not only different part numbers (A or B) between 2009 and 2010 cars (CBEA & CJAA engines), but that the locations of G451 and 450 are reversed too. I do not know if this is true or not. However, you are not the first person I know who did exactly what you did (replace one, fault returns, replace the other one with the one removed in step 1, and it works). We seem to be unclear about which one is G450 and which one is G451. VW's own documentation could easily be wrong or it is also possible that VCDS has the 450 and 451 numbers backwards.

Here is what I know for sure (from experience):
1)-Both differential pressure sensors are the same. Don't let the parts guy sell you the whole new bracket for the one above the AUX pump at double the price of the sensor alone.
2)-most 2009s use the 076 906 051 A sensors.
3)-All 2010+ use the 076 906 051 B sensors
4)-The transition between the A and B models occurred near the end or the 2009 production run. IOW: some late 2009 models use the -B version of the sensor. I do not know the VIN or build date cut-in of the new version.
5)-You cannot intermix the A and B part numbers in the same car at the same time. You need to buy the correct one or perhaps replace both.
6)-Contrary to what has been posted in some procedures, you do not need to reset/adapt the new sensors before you start the engine. I know a guy who replaced his sensor and then drove to my house with the CEL on (for VCDS). I adapted the sensors, cleared the fault codes and everything works.

Note: The "perhaps" in #5 above is because I am still awaiting confirmation from oilhammer (or someone else) to my question in Post #8 in this thread. Will it work in a 2009 if both sensors are replaced with the B version (I suspect so, due to point #4 above) and is there any advantage in doing so? Are the B versions actually any better - do they fail less often, or are they just cheaper (for VW not for us).

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The VIN split for 2009 (CBEA) was for two sensors that BOTH have an A suffix:

03G-906-051-A

076-906-051-A

The '03G' prefix part was superceeded to the '076' prefix part.

Then, the 2010 (CJAA) was the 076-906-051-B. Unless of course, it is the Audi A3, which still uses the CBEA engine 2010+, which also uses the 076-906-051-B.

The last time I tried to order the 03L-906-051-A it got backordered. I waited for nearly a month, and finally they sent a 076-906-051-B. ETKA still shows no supercession, but I think that BOTH of the 'A' suffix parts have been replaced.

Last edited:

regidog

TDI
2009 Jetta
After I installed the sensors the CEL immediately went off. I did not "adapt" the sensors but have not driven the car much either so maybe the light will come back on. I have VCDS but am new to it. How do I adapt the sensors? Thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After I installed the sensors the CEL immediately went off. I did not "adapt" the sensors but have not driven the car much either so maybe the light will come back on. I have VCDS but am new to it. How do I adapt the sensors? Thanks
The basic instructions are in post #2 above:
Open the engine controller and choose "Advanced Coding". A pop-up will tell you what numbers to enter to adapt the new sensors. These sensors are on top and are pretty easy to replace. Just remember that the one above the DPF can get quite hot. Don't burn yourself.

It is really very simple:
Start VCDS
open controller #1 (engine)
click on the button marked "Advanced Coding"
There will be a window near the bottom of the screen where you can enter a number.
A pop-up window will appear with 3 or 4 choices, one of them will say something about "reset DPF pressure sensors" or something close to that. It tells you to enter a 5 digit code.
Enter that code in the window and press the button that says "do it".
You will see a message that says "coding accepted"
Clear fault codes (if any)
That's all folks!

Have Fun!

Don

regidog

TDI
2009 Jetta
Adapted the sensors last night. Took 2 minutes. Thanks again for the help.

Now to fix the aux jack on the radio.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now to fix the aux jack on the radio.
That's easy too, open the radio controller and look at the coding. It probably says 040400 (the first 4 might be different). Just change the last digit to a 1 (as in 040401) and press "do it". Presto, your AUX input is back. These Premium 7 radios are famous for losing this last bit when you disconnect the battery.

Have Fun!

Don

daveyello

TDI
2009 Jetta sportswagon TDI
p047A code

There seems to be some debate and possibly even some differences between model years about which sensor is G450 and which one is G451. This is probably why many people just shotgun it and replace both at the same time. They are both on top of the engine and relatively easy to get at.

The service and repair manuals might be wrong in some details. I have read where people have said that they are not only different part numbers (A or B) between 2009 and 2010 cars (CBEA & CJAA engines), but that the locations of G451 and 450 are reversed too. I do not know if this is true or not. However, you are not the first person I know who did exactly what you did (replace one, fault returns, replace the other one with the one removed in step 1, and it works). We seem to be unclear about which one is G450 and which one is G451. VW's own documentation could easily be wrong or it is also possible that VCDS has the 450 and 451 numbers backwards.

Here is what I know for sure (from experience):
1)-Both differential pressure sensors are the same. Don't let the parts guy sell you the whole new bracket for the one above the AUX pump at double the price of the sensor alone.
2)-most 2009s use the 076 906 051 A sensors.
3)-All 2010+ use the 076 906 051 B sensors
4)-The transition between the A and B models occurred near the end or the 2009 production run. IOW: some late 2009 models use the -B version of the sensor. I do not know the VIN or build date cut-in of the new version.
5)-You cannot intermix the A and B part numbers in the same car at the same time. You need to buy the correct one or perhaps replace both.
6)-Contrary to what has been posted in some procedures, you do not need to reset/adapt the new sensors before you start the engine. I know a guy who replaced his sensor and then drove to my house with the CEL on (for VCDS). I adapted the sensors, cleared the fault codes and everything works.

Note: The "perhaps" in #5 above is because I am still awaiting confirmation from oilhammer (or someone else) to my question in Post #8 in this thread. Will it work in a 2009 if both sensors are replaced with the B version (I suspect so, due to point #4 above) and is there any advantage in doing so? Are the B versions actually any better - do they fail less often, or are they just cheaper (for VW not for us).

Have Fun!

Don
Have a 2009 Jetta Sportwagon TDI at 68,000 miles and threw the code p047A. My OBD II reader displayed "auxillary emissions sensor fault." Went through the threads and changed only the 076906051A sensor under the engine cover with the silver heat shield. Cleared the code with the OBD II only; without "adapting" sensor and have been code free for 2 weeks now. The only difficulty in removing the sensor was freeing the hose clamp on the larger hose under all the heatshield jackets and finding the large hex screw driver that fit. Even with the difficulty, all was done in 30 minutes. I got the part for $50 at ebay. Dealers gave me quotes from $500 to $1000 with $125 diagnostic fee. Hope this helps.

ccmdude

TDI
2009 Jetta
Ive been having similar problems with my 09 TDI Jetta. The engine light come on for a few days and then is off for a few days. I had the code read and it's a P047C.
I called the dealer with the vin and they said one of the sensors was is a 076-906-051A and the other is a 1K0-131-552B.
From what I've read here I gather that I can replace both with the 076-906-051B. Such as this one?
http://www.europaparts.com/particulate-filter-sensor-076906051b.html

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ive been having similar problems with my 09 TDI Jetta. The engine light come on for a few days and then is off for a few days. I had the code read and it's a P047C.
I called the dealer with the vin and they said one of the sensors was is a 076-906-051A and the other is a 1K0-131-552B.
From what I've read here I gather that I can replace both with the 076-906-051B. Such as this one?
http://www.europaparts.com/particulate-filter-sensor-076906051b.html
That is correct. You can replace just the one that failed with a 076-906-051A or you can replace both with the "B" version. It appears that the only thing you can't do is to intermix the A and B versions in the same car. As long as both sensors are the same type and you do the adaptation with VCDS, it should work OK. In every case I have seen so far (only 2) it is the sensor above the DPF that fails not the one above the aux fuel pump. I suspect that the regen temperatures are at least partially to blame for the failures.

Have Fun!

Don

ccmdude

TDI
2009 Jetta
And one more thing, does anyone have a picture pointing out exactly where the sensors are?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And one more thing, does anyone have a picture pointing out exactly where the sensors are?
See the pic in this post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4612121&postcount=41

Note: There is some disagreement and some possible differences between the 2009 (CBEA) and the 2010+ (CJAA) engines about which sensor is which. However, the pic in the post above does show where both sensors are located. Unfortunately, the one that is easier to get at is rarely the one that fails (Murphy's Law?).

Have Fun!

Don

ccmdude

TDI
2009 Jetta
So I replaced the sensors with new ones (http://www.europaparts.com/particulate-filter-sensor-076906051b.html) and ended up tearing a hose in the process. I took the car to the local mechanic and had him replace the hose and reset the codes. When I picked up the car and drove it home today the light came back on. Stopped and had them read at the auto parts store and now I'm getting a P047B and a P0471.

I've already tried the connections and they are seem good to go. Any ideas?

Also, while I was driving it to the mechanic the DPF light came on but went off after about 20minutes. Not sure if that is relevant or not, I figured that was due to the massive rip in the hose.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So I replaced the sensors with new ones (http://www.europaparts.com/particulate-filter-sensor-076906051b.html) and ended up tearing a hose in the process. I took the car to the local mechanic and had him replace the hose and reset the codes. When I picked up the car and drove it home today the light came back on. Stopped and had them read at the auto parts store and now I'm getting a P047B and a P0471.

I've already tried the connections and they are seem good to go. Any ideas?

Also, while I was driving it to the mechanic the DPF light came on but went off after about 20minutes. Not sure if that is relevant or not, I figured that was due to the massive rip in the hose.
Does your mechanic have VCDS? Just resetting the fault codes is not enough. You also have to adapt the new sensors (actually adapting the car to the new sensors). This requires VCDS or a VW dealer. You don't reset the codes until after you adapt to the new sensors - then it should work (unless there is another problem too.).

Have Fun!

Don

ccmdude

TDI
2009 Jetta
Yes, I called the mechanic and he confirmed that he only reset the codes. After calling around, I think I'll just buy the software and do it myself.

Good grief I hope there isn't another problem.

HamboneC26

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Hey, I've got the same code, P047C. I don't think I will have a problem replacing the sensors, but I don't have the VCDS and neither does the local mech shop. The closest VW Dealership and garage is two hours away. Is there another way to adapt the new sensors, without buying the VCDS? Thanks for any input.
Tom C.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
open the 101 forum and at the top will be a "VAG-COM" finder. or check for a group get together in your geographic area forum. usually a couple of the guys at a get together will have VCDS. might charge you a little bit or maybe just do it for a lunch. Have found many of the guys are very generous with their time and tools and I try to be very careful not to take advantage. meeting a friend of mine for B-fast in the morning. Met him when needing a VCDS for fault that ended up being a glowplug.

I also have changed the G451 (or G450) diff pressure sensor. removed a "1K0" sensor and installed the "B". The "B" sensor was the only one available for sale thru the online dealer.

HamboneC26

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the assistance and the response. I'll check to see if anyone meets in the local area. I was wondering about the use of the B type sensor, as I could not find the A type as well. Thanks for clearing that up.

ccmdude

TDI
2009 Jetta
Does your mechanic have VCDS? Just resetting the fault codes is not enough. You also have to adapt the new sensors (actually adapting the car to the new sensors). This requires VCDS or a VW dealer. You don't reset the codes until after you adapt to the new sensors - then it should work (unless there is another problem too.).

Have Fun!

Don
I bought the VCDS and tried adapting the sensors, and then clearing the codes. However, I still get the P0471 code "Implausible Signal".

My question is how exactly does the adaptation work because I click ok and then a window pops up saying login id accepted and that's it. Is that correct?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My question is how exactly does the adaptation work because I click ok and then a window pops up saying login id accepted and that's it. Is that correct?
Use VCDS and open up the engine controller. After it opens click the button marked "Advanced Coding". You should see a pop-up that lists several tests that you can do. One of them says "Adapt DPF pressure sensors" (or something close to that) and it gives you a 5 (maybe 6) digit number. You just enter this number into the field and press the "do it" button. Entering that number tells it what to do, and pressing the button makes it do it. You will also have to clear the fault code if it is still there. Once the code is cleared and the adaptation done, the CEL should stay off. If it comes back on, it could be that the other sensor was your problem. Try putting the old one in the other place, adapt and clear and see what happens.

Have Fun!

Don