B4 headlight switch

lrfeusse

TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon
My headlights will not turn on when I turn the switch, just the tail/dash and associated other driving lights. I think the problem is in the headlight switch. I would like to take the switch apart and see if it can be fixed. Does anyone know the tricks to taking this thing out of its holding piece. I could break it out, but prefer not to.

Thanks for any help.

Larry

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
There are 2 slidable tabs, connected to each other so you only have to move one, that you have to slide in towards the inside of the car for the switch to release and pull out. If I were not at work, I'd take a photo of it for you.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
If you need a new headlight switch, get a 1995 GLX switch. You will have an old school 3-way switch (off, parking lights on, headlights on), no DRLs, front fog lights, and direct plug & play with no modofications. All 1996 & 1997 models were two position switches with DRLs.

:)

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
PS, a very thin flat head screwdriver or a thin metal spike are best bets to use as the tool of choice
I use a feeler gauge. I've also just grabbed the knob and the plastic to the far right. Be firm with your grip and just pull it out.

Both of the above methods work, but if I have a switch that definitely don't want to damage, I'll grab the feeler gauge.

-Todd

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Something I find invaluable for use as a removal tool, and that works just as great for removing the radio, is the little metal strips on the outside of wiper blades. IT's perfect for stuff like that, and I even file them down a little to use as a terminal removal tool.

The back of the switch comes apart easily, I use paperclips to move the tabs off the housing on the back, but you can just use a small screwdriver if you're careful, just don't snap the tabs. I did a small write-up here.

lrfeusse

TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon
I see how to get past the tabs, but those little sliding locks are a real problem. They seem to be blocked from moving far enough to get the switch out. I have considered breaking them off, but I was thinking there must be a trick to it. Thanks to those who have responded.

Larry

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
They slide to the right, and since all are connected, you can move one and they'll all move.

They'll only move just so far and then the headlight switch will come straight out to you.

lrfeusse

TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon
I know they will slide a little way, but in order for them to unlock from the groove they have to move all the way over to the long groove that lets them come forward. Mine will not go any mor than about half way and then they are stopped by pieces inside the switch.
That is why I was hopping there is a trick to it.
If I cannot figure it out any other way, I am going to have to break the sliding tabs off.

I really need this car as I have to drive to work in the dark every morning.

Thanks,
Larry

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Sometimes things are just a little stuck. You may have to fidget with it for a bit, but once you take it out and put it in a few times, it'll be pretty easy. I know that another B4 that I maintain was a bit stubborn like yours

JarheadBoom

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat TDI
If you need a new headlight switch, get a 1995 GLX switch. You will have an old school 3-way switch (off, parking lights on, headlights on), no DRLs, front fog lights, and direct plug & play with no modofications. All 1996 & 1997 models were two position switches with DRLs.

:)
I now know what my first mod shall be.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you're not a stickler for OE, Auto Zone carries them with a lifetime warranty. They're expensive, though.

-Todd

vixentd

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat tdi, 1996 Passat B4V
If you have a 1997 Passat, the headlight will not turn off by the switch as they are daytime running lights. THe 1996 Passats would always run the tailights and instrument lights, but a small change was made in 1997. Unless I read this wrong, yours is perfectly normal when running. If the car is turned off then you will have a problem, but the lights will eventually go out!!!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I believe a different switch is needed. Here was a reason that I got a GLX switch, and that was likely it.

-Todd

yakko

Veteran Member
TDI
PASSAT 96,97
On my 97 B4 I just pulled the yellow plug. But the 97 didn't have the parking lights on also. The 96 was a VW botch job! I'm looking for the wire to snip! He He He! There has to be a way. Maybe in the switch its self.

Thanks
Randy