TDI Ranger Build

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
pumpin diesel

I really wish mine could accommodate the large nozzle without an adapter. Not because it's really necessary but, because I want to. There are a few places it would help me where I could just pump and go. As opposed to waiting for the car size diesel pumps to free up. If possible, it would be a mod I would consider.

Yeah I had that problem too. Even tho I enlarged my inlet to be able to fit the big nozzle, I still could not fill even on the first notch! Its way too fast to go down an inch hose to the tank.

So then I did this....

It foams a lot on full blast but I can dump in 120 liters in under a minute!!

Then from underneath I tied the top tank to the lower(ranger) tank
Top holds 90 liters bottom holds 60 liters so the range of the truck on one fill now is in excess of 2500kms

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Nice!! Gravity feed so you only have to fill one tank?? How long does it take for fuel to drain from full top tank into empty bottom tank? Would figure you would need to fill bottom then fill top to avoid the wait.

Lone Ranger

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Ranger
Nice!! Gravity feed so you only have to fill one tank?? How long does it take for fuel to drain from full top tank into empty bottom tank? Would figure you would need to fill bottom then fill top to avoid the wait.
It fills the bottom as fast as it can through the original 1 inch hose. The bottom is vented into the top one so it is pretty fast. In the middle pic you can see the vent tube running behind the bigger fill tube

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Excellent project.

My neighbor has a nice Ranger that he basically "had" built from almost scratch. He "had" it pieced together from several donor vehicles........ obviously a rebuilt title. Anyway, he has taken interest in my Vanagon/ALH project. I think he is considering a TDI engine....... prolly going to go with the mTDI.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Not to badger you or anything, but why won't you respond to any of my questions about the adapter? I would really like to buy one if you are going to produce them.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Not to badger you or anything, but why won't you respond to any of my questions about the adapter? I would really like to buy one if you are going to produce them.
Sorry about that. I am trying to work on a temporary supplier while I wait for a tdiclub member to get up and running. It's hard to get anyone interested in small jobs like these.

HoneyBadger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5 spd, 03 jetta auto, future ALH Ranger
Sorry about that. I am trying to work on a temporary supplier while I wait for a tdiclub member to get up and running. It's hard to get anyone interested in small jobs like these.
The machine shop at my university often does jobs like this. We're out in California, but I can get their contact info if you're interested.

curtis75

TDI
none, yet
I had my adapter plate laser cut by someone locally, so I just had to tap the holes once i got it back. It was only $60. I think I got a pretty good deal on it, but there's another option rather than actually machining it

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Is there any benefit of running a manual over an auto for a tdi conversion into a ranger...? I been thinking of building a ranger or taco with an tdi engine for put vehicle and an auto would be awesome to have

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
An auto can be done but has downsides: 1) reduced fuel mileage 2) higher cost due to the additional aftermarket transmission controller (~$350-700) 3) availability of the correct stall range torque converter

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
I was thinking a 47re/rh would work perfect on a tdi...they are already setup for the Cummins...also they are stupid cheap to rebuild...I had a dodge pickup and was able to rebuild it in my garage using a master rebuild kit I got for $99 bucks from transmission shop...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

mcneil

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4dr, 2001 Jetta TDI, Jeep TDI project
There's a thread on this forum from a guy who did a Cherokee with an AW4 - I think he eventually abandoned it over difficulties controlling the shift points.

That's why I went with the 4L65e; there's a ton of aftermarket support for programming. I've even seen guys build their own controllers from Basic/Stamp microcontrollers, like breadboard & radio shack style.

What sucks about the auto is the cost builds up on tons of little stuff. Five or ten $20-$50 purchases for fittings, hose, coolers adds up fast. Like that 47rh in the cummins - the inlet/outlet fittings are some goofy quick disconnect, need to buy the adapter to AN or something. Then you need a shifter, shifter cable, brackets, etc. Most can be junkyard fabbed, but it's just more work. A well setup diesel/auto is sweet, but you'll be up and running faster with the manual.

Red_Liner740

TDI
none
That sucks...does that state have a minimum speed on highways like in Europe?

I dont know how they can charge him when hes not actually breaking the law. Speed LIMIT is 55mph, doesnt say anywhere you HAVE to drive that. Hes only 7MPH below, aka 10km/h under the limit.

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
That sucks...does that state have a minimum speed on highways like in Europe?

I dont know how they can charge him when hes not actually breaking the law. Speed LIMIT is 55mph, doesnt say anywhere you HAVE to drive that. Hes only 7MPH below, aka 10km/h under the limit.
Impeding the flow of traffic is also illegal. Just rarely enforced for simply driving too slow, unless it's extreme. Like 45 in a 75.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
(please people, let's not turn this into a discussion of slow driver's clogging up the roads)
So what your really sayin is, don't discuss every day traffic on hwy 65? :p

Impeding the flow of traffic is also illegal. Just rarely enforced for simply driving too slow, unless it's extreme. Like 45 in a 75.
But on hwy 35 around here, it does say minumum speed is 45...

And back to topic, WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO DYNO THIS BEAST?!?!?!

Last edited:

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
Just read your whole thread, very nice, so stock gearing is getting you high thirties impressed. How much harder would it be to do this in a 4wd?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
The only differences would be the fact that you'd have to change two driveshafts instead of one and you'd also have to mess with transfer case linkages if it is a manual shift althouh I believe most are push button. Oh and right now I only have an adapter designed for the lima motors which were pretty rare in 4wd configuration.

curtis75

TDI
none, yet
I'm doing it in a FX4. Pretty much everything greengeeker said, but clearance to the front diff is very tight. I had to put my engine on an angle to help get some room. I have manual t-case so there is a little bit of work, but pretty minor. My engine sits at ~20 degrees which gets you as much clearance as possible. I think you would hit at straight vertical or you would have to raise the whole engine and trans (not sure if that's possible)

The toyotas have the diff on the RH side so clearance isnt an issue