Summer tire

papa_smurf49319

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
Looking to buy a new set of summer tires, already have a winter set on a different set of rims. Whats the best tire out there for rain and summer driving? Not looking for a racing hi performance tire, just a good wearing, fuel efficent commuter tire. Would like a tire with a high enough speed rating that the tdi wont overspeed,because i do get up into triple digits sometimes lol.

Cody

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I am kind of waiting to see your replies as I am in the same setup having a different rims setup with winters on. But I am thinking since fall and spring can be 80 degrees one day and snowing the next that All Seasons might be enough to get me through the occasional weird weather. I know they aren't winters and that is why I own a set and they are the jack of all trades but master of none but they do seem to have higher mile life then others. My current summer tires I have one I bought with the winters (guy had winters on rims and just rubber summers and up-sized his brakes and needed larger rims) and they really suck in ANY snow so getting caught in a surprise snow storm isn't safe with them at all. But they are great for summer.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I've been running Bridgestone Ecopia 100s for a couple of months now. I'm very happy with them so far. VERY quiet (not only compared to my winter Hakkas but also the Contis they replaced). Utter confidence driving through rain and puddles. Comfortable ride. Low rolling resistance; I can actually cruise at least half-a-block further with these than I could with the Continentals. And the price is not bad, especially compared to the Nokia enTyre, which was my second choice (second only because of cost). I can't speak to the fuel-economy aspect of them because I really haven't done but a tankful of "normal" driving (been on the road and hauling a lot lately), but I'm thinking/hoping that I won't take a hit, being LRR tires and all.

There is a "400" version of the Ecopia which is all-season; I imagine it gives up some on the noise but may fill the bill for anyone who would rather not go to a pure summer tire.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Go to SAMs club and you won't be disappointed with the pricing and great no-one can touch service.

I replaced the OE Bridgestone EL400 on the Matrix S with a set of Toyo Extensa. Very smooth and quite ride. As well as very good handling tires both in dry and wet. Highly recommended.