joe schmoe

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Manual Trans
What Kerma said /\

If you have a cluster that looks like this PolerFIS will NOT work:

It must have a Red or White MFD to work:

PolerFIS may also work with the color MFD?:
Thank you for the information!! :D

I do have the MFD like you have posted at the top of your post!!

Well CRAP!! :eek: :mad:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Update v0.4.9

The polar team released their newest update, version 4.9. I upgraded and their were no issues with my 2010 Golf. FYI, My ECU did not recognize the two A/C parameters.

Firmware update description
Improved engine ECU database and added over 1000 new engine ECUs supported (some of them requested by customers).

Added 2 new parameters :
– A/C Compressor torque.
– A/C pressure.

Improved diagnostics communication and solved issue that caused no parameter reading with some models.
Improved firmware filenames inside support area.
General improvements.

How can I update my PolarFIS?
For update your PolarFIS with a new firmware, please go to the “Update zone” section.
Official link : http://www.auto-polar.com/polarfis-advanced-new-update-v0-4-9-21-01-2016/

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
That's your ash load in your DPF. That changes every 10K

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
another one:

What is the FF10 DPF Status ?

and what Requested Regenerations number means ?
This info is from the PolarFis programmer.
http://www.auto-polar.com/forum/showthread.php?1034-PolarFIS-(Advanced)-New-Update-v0-4-2-23-12-2013

the values used in DPF status;

0 - No DPF regeneration is necessary.
1 - Indicates the ongoing regeneration (with high exhaust temperatures). During this phase, the soot loading begins to degrade.
2 - Shows an active heating (exhaust temperatures are raised.
10 - Indicates that a DPF regeneration is requested.

Once a regeneration finishes, the value will be reset to 0.

Btw, There are FF20 and FF40. I'll look for their definitions.

Diesel-Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Sport Edition '04
I have observed that when it indicates FF10, exhaust temperature rise as high as when it regenerates (and !soot level is not at a level needing regeneration)

this condition is not long and is not followed by a FF01 regeneration, it doesn't seem to mean that a regen is requested ?

and what aboutRequested Regenerations number ?

Last edited:

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
When I see the FF20 value, the regen seems to go on for as long as 20 minutes sometimes. Having said that, I very rarely see FF20, only a few times a year.

Diesel-Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
I have observed that when it indicates FF10, exhaust temperature rise as high as when it regenerates (and !soot level is not at a level needing regeneration)

this condition is not long and is not followed by a FF01 regeneration, it doesn't seem to mean that a regen is requested ?

finally, temperature is higher than in a regen:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
This info is from the PolarFis programmer.
http://www.auto-polar.com/forum/showthread.php?1034-PolarFIS-(Advanced)-New-Update-v0-4-2-23-12-2013

the values used in DPF status;

0 - No DPF regeneration is necessary.
1 - Indicates the ongoing regeneration (with high exhaust temperatures). During this phase, the soot loading begins to degrade.
2 - Shows an active heating (exhaust temperatures are raised.
10 - Indicates that a DPF regeneration is requested.

Once a regeneration finishes, the value will be reset to 0.

Btw, There are FF20 and FF40. I'll look for their definitions.

My observations lead me to think the above is not correct.

This is what I see as correlation for the DPF status:

FF01 normal mode
FF10 DeNOX regen
FF02 DPF active regen
FF20 DeSOX regen (up to 20 minutes, right after FF02, but only once every 3-5 DPF regens)
FF40 adaptation/calibration/test cycle (during warm up infrequently)
FF80 different adaptation/test cycle (very infrequent)

(I saw the last two values after changing Exhaust Pressure Sensor (EPS) 2 and adapting EPS1)

http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NATEFMedia/VW%20Files/2-0-TDI-SSP.pdf
See page 71 and earlier for background on the exhaust treatment system cycles and processes

Note that DPF status on the PF03 is also reported by the engine controller as measuring block 104, field 1, which is labeled "0xFF02=done" (note that 0x indicates a hexidecimal value). VCDS can be used to view and log this value and see how it relates to other readings, including the various exhaust temps.

charts from some logging I did on the temps is here http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/dpf-obd-charts/

This is really a status message, included for reasons not published. We are all guessing as to the true intent (unless someone has a translation of the source code)

This is over an hour drive or so. Shorter spikes are the FF10 (DeNOX), and the longer one at the end is FF02 (DPF active regen)

The requested regens number is kind of a counter of the need for a regen. if everything is working, it increments once in a while, and when it gets to 5, a DPF regen is around the corner. depending on how long the active regen goes, it will decrease on the way down during the regen to 0 or 1. more if you stop before the regen is done.

one more note is that during an FF10, if you let off the go pedal, (fuel goes to 0) it will go back to FF01, and may come back up if you press the pedal again, calling for more power. this makes sense to me, as the DeNOX regen needs extra fuel. must be too hard for the EGR to go to no O2 in the intake, which would let the fuel be heated as required for the regen without adding power to the drivetrain. if I press on the pedal a bit later, it may come back to FF10.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It's not enough precise :)

what is the unit ?

every 10k ? 10 000km ? 10 000mi ?

18.0 is high or low ?
I believe that it is grams. There seems to be about 1 gram of ash for every 10k miles (more or less). How many miles are on your car? Whether it is high or low depends on this question. This thread has lots of information about DPF data (but not necessarily about the PolarFIS+) - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324067

Have Fun!

Don

Diesel-Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
I have 22 000mi (Golf Sportwagon 2014 TDI M6 purchased in august 2014)

thanks for the thread link ! I will read it completely ! :)

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg

I think what you are describing is the notorious blow torch warm up strategy. I noticed that the 23N5 update did make a difference in the sever hike in EGT temps, no matter what the ambient temp. With the update into more of a gradual increase in EGT temps. Imo, the EGTs still spike very dramatically during worm up. I've just learned to stay easy on the go padel during the strategy.

Diesel-Mike

Veteran Member
TDI

FF01 normal mode
FF10 DeNOX regen
FF02 DPF active regen
FF20 DeSOX regen (up to 20 minutes, right after FF02, but only once every 3-5 DPF regens)
this morning I saw a new one, FF04.

anybody have seen it ? what does it mean ?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I do not remember seeing that one. (does not mean it has not happened on my car, I am not always watching this)

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Thanks. I see the FF40 quite frequently during warm-up periods this winter. I'll have to keep an eye out on this one as the temperatures warm.

FF01 normal mode
FF10 DeNOX regen
FF02 DPF active regen

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
I am the OP. I returned my NMS to VW and have the PF03 for sale. I will take $250 USD or $300 CAD (+3% if using paypal) shipped! PM me.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
toss it up on the private for sale section, it'll be gone in a few days.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
^ DONE! THX!

Good luck to my TDI friends. I'm loving my factory ordered 2017 BMW 328d xDrive M-sport, M-performance wagon! I got 5.3L/100 KM (106 km/h 90%) on the commute to work today (117km)!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
what's BMW letting those go for these days?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$80K CAD after taxes, extended warranty and $20K in options. The only option I did not click was $300 self parking lol.

Cheapskate!!! hahah that's literally twice the price of my Alltrack once a nice conversion is factored in.

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
Currency conversion those loonies are getting cheaper by the day.

but yes i'd kill for a TDI slid into our Alltrack.
If the alltrack came with TDI, I would net even consider the bimmer.

Currently the F30/31 3 series bimmers are the most fuel efficient AWD in CAN/USA.