Dash Cowl not installed right

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I don't get under the hood much but I noticed last week that the hood cowl had a 1/4" space between the two halves.

So I start pushing the two halves together and needed to loosen that long rubber strip that holds the bottom of the cowl down. Then I noticed a large bump just left of center on the rubber strip. There is a clip holding a flexible wire conduit attached to the car sheet metal there so that the rubber seal/strip can't attach to the sheet metal.

The flexible conduit looks new so I imagine it is related to the Phase II fix?????
I pulled the clip off (it removed a bit of paint btw) and attached the conduit to another wire just below with a plastic tie.

I don't understand why they would put that clip there like that obstructing the rubber seal. Overkill or perhaps I will be sorry I moved it. Sloppy work in any case leaving the cowl split like that. And I am annoyed I didn't notice this before.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
got any pics?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I just had a look at my Passat and I cannot see any "two halves" on my hood.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Cowel not hood, the plastic tray under the wiper blades, it covers the strut towers and some wire looms, that's the cowel.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...uhh...actually...cowl, not cowel...but I'm not going to loose/lose my piece/peace of mind over it.