Window fell into door, clip no longer tightens

lardope

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV
This is a different twist on a familiar problem that I see a few people have posted on--the window falling into the door:

When the window was frozen it pulled out of its clips (or clamps). I took off the inner door panel and saw that nothing was broken. I tried putting the window back in the clips and tightening them, but I couldn't get the clips to tighten around the window enough to hold it. Finally, I gave up and took apart the rest of the door so everything is dissembled.

With everything dissembled, it looks like the screws are getting stuck tightening into the clips. I cleaned the screws and the clips and still no luck. I finally got the one screw to tighten all the way through the clip after much trying. The other I've given up on and don't know what to do. The one clip I can get either screw to tighten all the way into it. The other clip either screw gets stuck half-way through threading. I'm baffled why the screw is getting stuck in the clip.

I'm new to car repair... am I missing something obvious?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Go to the dealers and buy new clips. What you describe is a known problem. VW redesigned those clips and the new clips will most likely look different than the ones on your car.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I've replaced a couple of these (preemptively as I was doing some other door work). This is what I got/used (make sure you get the ones for the correct left/right door):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BT1H0IE/ref=pe_385040_128020140_TE_3p_dp_1

Assumption is that the current ones aren't the newer style. Might be that things are just corroded and that's why tightening doesn't seem to be happening: maybe try some penetrating fluid. But, if you're already in this far might just be better to not risk reusing the old/current one(s) and going with a new one.

lardope

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV
Problem Solved

I came to the conclusion that I must have messed up the threading in the window clip somehow, and then found out that you can buy screw taps that will rethread the hole. $6.00 solution and put everything back together and it works fine. Looks like it wasn't so much an automotive issue, as just a general how to deal with common screw problems. Thanks for your help!

For anyone that is looking at this post for a similar issue of the window falling into door but nothing appears to be broken, I used this video on youtube for the tutorial on how to take apart the door:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSFWZugODNs

Because my window clips were not tighetning around the window anymore, I needed to take the whole thing apart and eventually came to the above solution.

In the video they say you need a T20 torx screwdriver, but I found that in my jetta it was actually a T30 torx screwdriver. Other tools I used to take apart the door were:
10 mm socket wrench
Phillips screwdriver (not sure size but was on the bigger size)
Flathead screwdriver (just for prying apart some components)

lardope

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV
Problem not solved...

Well I guess the clips just aren't in good condition enough to hold onto the window anymore because it happened again. I think it must be sticky where the top of the window is in the up position, sticky enough that the clips pulled right off the window as it was going down and the window stayed in the up position. The rubber or plastic that is in the clips just doesn't seem at all like it has any ability to hold the window anymore. I guess next step is replacing the clips, or trying to tape or glue the window into the existing worn out clips.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Is the bottom, plastic pin in place? I had to replace the left rear on my Golf because the window would not go down by itself. You can access this two part pin by removing a rubber grommet at the bottom of the door; once the outer panel is removed. It's tricky to get back in place.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just put a new regulator assembly in it and be done with it (until it breaks again, of course).

The metal clip kit last I checked was NLA. Most of the aftermarket ones are pretty poor quality (the price reflects this). If you enjoy taking your door apart once a year, then that may be an option for you. For those of us that would rather just drive the car, a new OEM regulator is a better choice.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
front doors use the clips.

rear doors use a funky single attachment point through a hole in the bottom of the window and 2 plastic plugs. The plugs protrude from each side of the window and clip into the regulator assembly.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
These were most helpful to me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo_8ttYAqBk
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3980992-how-do-you-remove-jetta-rear-door-glass

When I did mine I screwed a long (70mm or so) M5 machine screw in the spreader pin and instead of pulling it out I gave it a few sharp taps with a hammer and it removed to the inside. I then took some channel locks and pulled the screw/pin out but offset it a little so the pin would pull out the spreader plug with it - worked like a champ the first time. 2nd time the pin fell off the screw and dropped inside the window. Fished it out with my old grabber tool so no big deal. I tried it this way first to avoid running to the CRAP store to rent a slide hammer.

This is how the pin/plug came out...

The plug goes back in the window centered in place then tap or press the pin in - it will be fairly tight. Reinstalling was a bit of a PITA. I tried the window first then the frame but it was difficult to get the frame back in place while the window was in. Best way for me was to put the frame in place but unbolted and slid down a little. The filler piece must be removed and the window can be inserted where it is on the inside of the frame. Once it is in about halfway you should be able to move it in place on the frame and then go the rest of the way in. The spreader plug will just snap into place on the regulator. Then slide the frame up in place, reinstall the filler piece, fasten down/reinstall the seal.

If you are removing the quarter glass as well I'd recommend wiping down the window frame and the rubber seal before reinstalling. Soapy water will really help getting the quarter glass/seal to slide in place.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You install the pin in the glass... then put the regulator in and just slide the glass down until it snaps into place. Very easy.

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
Would this procedure change due to mine being broken from frozen windows form living north of the wall? Ie activated window, snapping sound and then no more window movement on rear passenger side. Drivers side Front has the same thing.

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
You are probably looking at a broken regulator and will have to pull the inner door panel. You can get the whole panel assembly or replace just the regulator. I had the same problem when Jr broke his trying to roll down after an ice storm. Got one from the yard for $10.

IDparts sells both the panel and individual regulators for the front doors... IDK who sells them for the rear other than the dealer?

https://www.idparts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=regulator

Last edited:

neoborn

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI Golf
I'm trying to prep this as much as possible because I can't have the car not ready to go after an hour or two. Every day runner.

I would like to attempt to cover all my bases and have all the needed hardware.