Modified kerma 02 jetta

InfoSec

Veteran Member
I'm pushing 28psi with a Malone Stage 5 custom. Stock rods. The power comes on smoothly and I have had no issues with the rods. Planning on upgrading them, though, so I can push it to 32psi with my GTB1756vk. Good luck. Nice setup.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm pushing 28psi with a Malone Stage 5 custom. Stock rods. The power comes on smoothly and I have had no issues with the rods. Planning on upgrading them, though, so I can push it to 32psi with my GTB1756vk. Good luck. Nice setup.
I suspect you don't know if you have a problem with the rods or not. I ran 26 PSI for 120K with stock rods, car ran great. When we pulled it apart finally to upgrade they were all bent. But you'd never know if you started and drove it.

I've been told three things bend rods: fuel, boost, and revs. I never ran big fuel but I did run right at the boost threshold for stock rods (25-26 PSI) and had a 6000 RPM tune that I used frequently. So two of three.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Revs because it requires timing advance. So we're saying the same thing.

TDI
None yet
To the OP, if your pulling the head for the head studs and cam, I would have the head extrude honed in an effort to increase air flow and lower boost pressure with out sacrificing turbo air flow. If you haven’t upgraded your intake manifold, I would do so, and give it the extrude honing treatment as well. The 11mm injection pump from the automatic ALH is a direct replacement, and I personally would install one. I also would install a lift pump.

On my 02 Jetta, I had al 11mm Injection pump and a PD factory lift pump, head studs, extrude honed head and intake manifold, VNT 17/22 with the exhaust manifold header wrapped and a turbo blanket, 2.5” turbo back straight pipe exhaust, EGR deleted, CCV catch can system, and EBay FMIC. it was kerma tuned with PP 764 7 hole nozzles and stage 3 injector calibrated. I have no idea how much power it made, I do know there was VERY little turbo spool up, loads of torque in every gear (at times making first through third useless), and I averaged 32 MPH per tank with a persona best (Texas to Florida and back) 43MPG. I loved that car but my family out grew it and I had to sell it.

Kerma_tuned

TDI
2002 jetta tdi alh
Was worried about rods bending. Dont normally rev above 4500rpm so i think i should be safe for the most part.my 3 bar map sensor is whats limiting me right now for boost.....and the fact i havent put my head studs on yet. I doubt they are bent yet because my clutch started to slip right away with the new tune i got. Still trying to find an 11mm injection pump and wasnt sure uf the od lift pump would fit until now. Appreciate the help. Lift pump and IP are going to be added to my list of mods soon haha

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
i found a 17 plus near me on FB that i might buy, he's asking $900 for it, what is the consensus on these, any good?

i had a 17/22 on my old car and wasn't a big fan as i want lower end boost and more of a DD but with a little more power.

04 BEW that will get an 02m soon, 3" turbo back, tune, dark side SMIC upgrade with piping, OMI intake and turbo of some kind, all i want for mods

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Check the specs on that turbo it is actually a 17/22, it just has extended tips. I have heard not being the original owner of a Kerma turbo, and not having it professionally installed can also invalidate the warranty.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur